Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
First Mate

Default E-Reader Anyone?

Anybody have the Kindle, Nook, or I-Pad? Opinions?

Seems having thousands of books in 1 slim package is a great idea for the freqent traveler.

(If I ever book a cruise longer than it takes me to finish a novel, I'll probably get one).
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Admiral

I have a Kindle 2 ......... LOVE IT! I can even read it outside in the sun. It is well worth cost. I find that I read so much more now........less eye strain.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Both DH and I have the Sony E-Reader. LOVE IT!! Can't imagine going back to paper.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I read, and, listen to books any way I can. I now have the Kindle and love it. Books in a minute with out the need of a computer is a great thing, but I never will give up a paper book either...

I had 2 versions of the original ebook ..the RCA , and boy did they have issues, and the first one, is now obsolete..an expensive doorstop. They had a couple of things about it I miss, and wish my Kindle had it but,being able to get all my content when you want it trumps it..

Not ebery book you want is available on Kindle, and when you go to amazon to buy it, and it isn't..there is a box to click on, to send to the publishers, your desire to have that book on Kindle. Issues with the rights to the property, and the monetary split, is the big boondoggle..One of the authors I follow on Faceboook, mentioned he had just jumped this hurdle..so many more will follow I presume..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Has anyone that uses the Kindle checked out an ipad? We looked at the ipad over the weekend but have yet to check out a kindle.

thanks,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Familiar Face

I have the Kindle 2 and it's at the top of my how'd-I-ever-get-along-without-it list - right next to a microwave. I was really disappointed when I first got it because Grisham wasn't on there. But a couple of weeks ago I got the email that he's finally on Kindle and I loaded almost all of his books right away. Now if only Anne Rice would put the vampire chronicles on Kindle (stop laughing - I really like her vampire novels). The Kindle books aren't expensive and there are lots that are free. The Kindle brought reading back into my life. Before the internet, I used to read all the time. But I got away from it somewhat when I went online. But now I've got almost 50 books on Kindle and it's much easier to carry on a cruise than 50 paperbacks.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I've had a Kindle 1 for about a year and a half and I love it! I still read regular books sometimes, but I actually enjoy reading on the Kindle more. No reading glasses and no pages flipping in the wind! Plus the ability to look up the definition of a word while you're reading. LOVE IT!

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old April 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
First Mate

Trip,

BTW, I got "Inspector's Holiday" at the library to take on my cruise next week. (It was on the list you posted last week). :eek:
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Kim, that's great...it's a nice go to list for cruise reads..please let us know how it was, and, we want to hear all about your cruise, when you get home..have a ball, I know you will!

Old April 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Passenger

Default Airline drawback

Although e-Readers are theoretically ideal for air travel (e.g. travel light, no books to pack), there is the drawback of takeoff and landing. If you only have Kindle, et al for reading material, you will have nothing to read for 30+ minutes of takeoff and landing when no electronic devices can be used. But otherwise they seem like a great solution.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Admiral

JHawk, you do have a point. I've actually decided that I will bring one paperback for just that. It still beats the 3 or 4 books I used to pack for a week long cruise.

Trip......there's a list of cruise reads? Where is it? I'm always on the lookout for more stuff to read. Like I need it, I already have tons of books waiting to be read.

Carnival Magic-3/12, Carnival Magic-11/11, Carnival Glory-2/11, Carnival Splendor-8/10, Carnival Conquest-1/10, Mariner of the Seas-3/09, Carnival Spirit-1/08, Grand Princess-12/06, Rhapsody of the Seas-12/05, Grand Princess-12/04, NCL Dream-12/03, MS Zuiderdam-12/02

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Linda, if I never bought another book, or took onerothe library..I could read what I have here, till I die....I cannot resist my fave authors. I also collect mysteries set in Florida, and I have more than some book stores...I am addicted..I admit it..here is the list....Nancy Cohen, the author at the top, shared this list with me.. Love her series, and Elaine Viets seies as well... Princess Charming was a fabulous readen too..I am putting a star next to the title for my faves...enjoy

CRUISE SHIP MYSTERIES

Nancy J. Cohen: KILLER KNOTS *
Lori Avocato: DEEP SEA DEAD*
Maddy Hunter: HULA DONE IT
Nancy Fairbanks: BON BON VOYAGE
Shelley Freydont: HIGH SEAS MURDER
Susan Sussman: CRUISING FOR MURDER*
Jane Heller: PRINCESS CHARMING*

Cooks Overboard by Joanne Pence
Birds of Prey by J.A. Jance
Charlie Chan Carries On by Earl Derr Biggers
The Widow's Cruise by Nicholas Blake
Board Stiff by Tony Alexander
Death in the Middle Watch by Leo Bruce
The Fennister Affair by Josephine Bell
Death in a Deck Chair by K.K. Beck
Several Deaths Later by Ed Gorman
Murder on "B" Deck by C.V.E. Starrett
Murder in Absence by C.V.E. Starrett
Inspector's Holiday by Richard Lockridge
Voyage into Violence by Frances and Richard Lockridge
The Case of Sonia Wayward by Michael Innes
A Clutch of Constables by Ngaio Marsh
The Patient in Cabin C by Mignon Eberhart
Nobody Cared for Kate by Gene Thompson
The Midas Murders by Margot Arnold
A First Class Murder by Elliot Roosevelt
(YA) Mystery Cruise by Gertrude Chandler Warner
(YA) Deadline by Eric Weiner
Don't Blame the Snake by Tony Fennelly
Death Takes a Passage by Sue Henry
Birds of Passage Bernice Rubens (not quite a mystery but interesting)
The Informant by James Grippando
Buzz Cut by James Hall
Decked by Carol Higgins Clark*
No Honeymoon for Death by Mary Kruger
Murder Sails at Midnight by Marian Babson
The Cruise of a Deathtime Marian Babson
The Widow's Cruise by Nicholas Blake
The Goddess Affair by Lillian O'Donnell
Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Risk by Dick Francis
The Angels Will Not Care - John Straley
Birds of Passage - Bernice Rubens
Cooks Overboard - Joanne Pence
The Cruise of a Deathtime - Marian Babson
Damned in Paradise - Max Allen Collins
Death in a Deck Chair - K.K. Beck (1984)
Death on the Nile - Agatha Christie
Death Takes a Passage - Sue Henry
A First Class Murder - Elliot Roosevelt
The Informant - James Grippando
Killed in Paradise - William DeAndrea
The Midas Murders - Margot Arnold
Murder on Deck - (ed.) Rosemary Herbert
Murder Sails at Midnight - Marian Babson
Night Train to Memphis - Elizabeth Peters
No Honeymoon for Death - Mary Kruger
Singing in the Shrouds - Ngaio Marsh
Too Much of Water - Bruce Hamilton
The Trouble with Going Home- Camilla Crespi
You Belong to Me - Mary Higgins Clark*
To Davy Jones Below by Carola Dunn
Donít Blame the Snake by Tony Fennelly
Dana Chambers' THE BLONDE DIED FIRST

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Wow, thanks! That's one heck of a list!!

Have you ever seen the saying that they put on cups and shirts that says "So many books, so little time"?? I feel just like that!

Old April 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Trip, you have compiled a great list ..... here are a couple of cruise mysteries to add to your list:

Second Sitting by STELLA WHITELAW (Casey Jones mystery)
Dead Slow Ahead by STELLA WHITELAW (Casey Jones Mystery)
Wide Berth bye STELLA WHITELAW (Casey Jones Mystery) due out June 1, 2010

Very light, entertaining cruise related stories........I am almost finished with book 2.

She has others on Amazon that appear to have shore, sea and ship ties....another character, though.....Jordan Lacy mysteries. I have not read any of those.
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Mgram. Nancy Cohen was nice enough to share this list with me..she wrote Killer Knots....when I send out this list again, whenever, i will add those to the list..they sound like my cuppa tea!

Old April 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Admiral

I added them to my list, too. Thanks Mgram!

Old April 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Also: "The False Inspector Dew" by Peter Livesy. Set on a cruise ship and always mentioned in any "top best" murder mystery list. Really a fabulous read!
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I met a lady at the airport today that had a Kindle. She loved it, and I was impressed. I was loaded down with books, and she had this thing with many more books that fit in her purse.

I remembered all of you talking about it, so I looked for this thread.

I am going now to buy it on Amazon. I hope I like it.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I met a lady at the airport today that had a Kindle. She loved it, and I was impressed. I was loaded down with books, and she had this thing with many more books that fit in her purse.

Luanne
Yay! You're going to love it, trust me! If you search around a bit, you can find Kindle message boards, too. They are great for getting tips about your new Kindle. From how to use it, to what accessories to get (if you want), to lists of free and/or bargain books to download. Enjoy!

P.S. Have you booked the Splendor with all of us in August yet??

Old May 31st, 2010, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post

I would check out the iPad first. It's much better!! IMHO

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Admiral

I am seriously thinking of getting an Ipad...I think the book function, may not not be to my liking, but that remains to be seen..The scale of it compared to the Kindle seems awkward to me, as far as reading books...much bigger to just slip in my bag, and off I go with a zillion books... Also, the page turning aspect on the Ipad, could get annoying,as the bottom right image, actually curls to change..

I want to try it first..all the other aspects of it I would love...

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I thought about the IPad, but I think it would have more than I needed, since I just bought a new computer.

I did order the Kindle, and it should be here on Wed in time for our cruise this weekend. I think it will be so much better, and with the books I buy, will pay for itself in no time.

Someone said that a draw back was not being able to use it the first couple of minutes on a plane. This won't be a problem for me, because I am usually grabbing the armrest, and praying the darn thing doesn't fall out of the sky, for me to read.:-D
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:26 PM
First Mate

That's great, Luanne! Let us know what you think. (I will live vicariously through you for now).

The library director here at my University recommended the IPad because of all the extra features but, like you, I don't need - or want - all the bells and whistles. In fact, I would pay EXTRA to maximize my reading time and minimize my accessibility.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Admiral

You can flip the pages from anywhere on the iPad screen. Also a two finger flip takes you to next chapter. That's real handy when your reading magazines or especially manuals. (i.e. the iPad booklet). The color is fantastic and will make a big difference when you start getting magazines. I see that Barnes and Noble has just released their reader for the iPad this weekend, I need to check that out too. I lost my iPad to DW on the first night when I got her the new Laura Bush book. She just d/l Eat, Pray, Live or something that she saw on Oprah--oh no!!! Too easy to spend $

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Admiral

I think there are 3 "reader's" available?

The Kindle is Amazon's and the oldest.

There's also SONY (I think? I talked to a lady in the airport who was using one).

Then there's the Barnes and Noble reader.

Which is the best? From what I understand, you can get free books from any of them as long as the books are out of print. Is that right?

I probably won't be reading in the bright sunlight, but if I was which would be the best choice?

Help!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Well, the Kindle is better for reading than the iPad. The e-ink screen is way easier on your eyes than the backlit screen. But if you want something that is versatile and does other things, then I can see why you would choose the iPad. It has lots of neat features and is a multi-purpose gadget.

I have read so much more since getting the Kindle. And of course you can get the Kindle app for your Blackberry or iPhone, or your computer, so you can pick up your books and read no matter where you are, even if you don't have the Kindle with you.

Old May 31st, 2010, 09:52 PM
First Mate

"Money" magazine did an enlightening comparison of the big 3 a few months ago in which the Barnes & Noble 'Nook' was the overwhelming favorite. I'm sure "Consumer Reports" (and other reliable sources) have done comparisons as well.
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Well actually the iPad is the device. The default reader on iPad is iBook. You can use any of the three readers on the iPad if you wish. So iBook, Kindle and B&N will ALL work on iPad. Also the iPad will work independent of your home computer if you want to add books from a remote location, not sure the others can do that, maybe the new Kindle does. But really the biggest difference IMHO is COLOR. Big difference especially for reference books or children's books.

Future Cruises:
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Yes, Ray, Kindle has always had "Whispernet", so you can shop and download books wherever you are (used to run on the Sprint network, now I think it may be Verizon?). I agree that color would be great for magazines and illustrated books. I usually just read books, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. For me the deal breaker is the e-ink versus the backlighting. My eyes bother me after I read for any length of time on a computer screen, but the Kindle reads like a regular book.

So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old June 1st, 2010, 08:19 AM
Admiral

I'm more of a comic book kinda guy so the color is a biggie for me.

Future Cruises: