Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Captain

Default Honestly, some people should stay home.

Well six months ago I helped very dear friends of ours book their very first cruise, and today they returned home. They loved the itinerary and the ship but they were saddled with horrible table mates and had a couple of other issues. I won't go on and on but there is one situation I just have to raise with you fine folks simply because my jaw hit the floor when they told me.

So picture this, you're at dinner on formal night. You are sitting at a table for 10 with your spouse and your 13 year old son. A couple with a young baby join you at your table for dinner. After the appetizer the woman takes out a box of infant cereal which she pours into a bowl. The waiter asks her if she would like boiled water to make the cereal or if she needs him to warm up some milk for the cereal. (Awesome waiter or what??) She replies, "No that's alright it comes out the perfect temperature for making cereal." Then she promptly removes her breast from her formal dress top and hand expresses enough milk to make cereal while 4 men, a teenaged boy and my friend sit in stunned silence with their mouths hanging open, completely speechless.

Even as a breastfeeding mom, I was SHOCKED at the behaviour of this woman. OHMYGOSH, some people really shouldn't be allowed out in public until they get some respect for the folks around them. My friends didn't return to the dining room, which made me feel bad that they missed those wonderful dinners, and their poor son not only did he not go to dining room, his face flushed with embarassment everytime they ran into the couple.

I asked my friends what they said to her, and they said that they were too stunned to even begin to manage any sort of statement. They said it was the longest dinner with the quickest departure ever.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I admire your friends restraint, and I don't like confrontation, BUT, for this, I would never not say something.. at the very least a covering would have been expected, but for me still a no no..why oh why did she not take care of that in the cabin!!!!!! I do have to add, that my family would have left the table to dine elsewhere...only lord knows what she might have done next, and I would not want to be around to find out!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; April 18th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Admiral

I hope your friends can cruise again and experience what they missed on this trip.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Oh my...Oggling would be another reason to remove oneself from the situation.

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Captain

I was just so shocked when they told me. I was waiting for them to give me an explanation or to tell me that they'd said something or that the maitre d' had addressed it but nothing. Just silence. Once I would have recovered from the shock there would have been no way that I could have exercised similar restraint.

Fortunately for my friends they have been around me long enough to have caught the cruise bug so I'm pretty sure they'll try it again, even the dining room. I just hope that they have better dining experiences next time. My husband laughed out loud when they told him, he said that if she was attractive, the guys should have asked if it was a table for two? I slapped him for that one. But even ten hours later I am still shocked at this couple's behaviour.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The problem is your friends let the situation chase them from the dining room for future meals.
They should have immediately talked to the Maitre D and asked for a different table.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
The problem is your friends let the situation chase them from the dining room for future meals.
They should have immediately talked to the Maitre D and asked for a different table.
I could not agree more. They missed out on a lot of wonderful meals and the potential to have experienced those meals with really interesting table mates. If only they had talked to the Maitre 'd.

But on that same line of thought, do you think the waiter maybe should have said something to the maitre'd or is it a case of "if it was a big deal to those at the table, someone would have complained"?

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Admiral

I am surprised (& pleased too) that nobody has brought up the "it's only natural" thing, so it may be but some "natural" things are best done in private! To be honest I would have asked to be moved as soon as it was apparent there was a baby of that age at the table, I think very young kiddies should be at a table with their own family.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Admiral

If no one at the table complained, the waiter should have said somethnig to the maitre'd, about the woman. The thing is, the nature of this situation, gave everybody cottonmouth, and since there were no issues brought up right then, ignorance was bliss on the part of the staff.

I wonder if she had other tablemates during the remainder od the cruise,btw,did the husband react in any way do you know?

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Not as embarrassing as this, but on a beach holiday once we were relaxing in the sun & a kiddie of about 4/5 years old came running up the beach, pulled down his mothers bikini top, "latched -on" for a while then wandered off.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Admiral

No, no, no, and NO!!!

You know how sometimes you open up a thread because the title looks really intrgiguing, then live to regret it. Well this one was right up there, and the worst thing was that I couldn't do anything by scan the replies hoping for something that would make me feel better.

The week has GOT to get better, please

Alan

Next: Queen Elizabeth December 2014
Followed by: Minerva April 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Were these folks from Kentucky by chance? Before anyone jumps on me for making fun of folks from Kentucky...I'm not. I just was googling this situation to see if perhaps this is some sort of cultural issue, where it is normal and customary one place, but not somewhere else...

I was surprised to find that Kentucky actually has a law in place to protect a woman's right to breastfeed and express milk anytime, anywhere. I was not surprised to see a law protecting a woman's right to nurse her child and would hope she would be able to do so discreetly, I also think that being able to express milk for use at a later time is also great when done discreetly as well. It is natural, so is sex and a lot of other things, but they should not be witnessed by your dining mates at a table of 10 people, regardless of their ages. Nursing discreetly anywhere is fine, but what was described here was definitely over the top.

I also agree with Kuki, I would not have allowed this to affect the rest of my cruise and would have asked the Maitre D to find an alternative solution for me and my family. I would have stood up, gathered my kids and Husband as soon as the realization hit me what was going on and left the table. No explanation necessary.

I was once on a cruise with my family and we were part of a large group. I found out after the fact (fortunately we had wonderful tablemates that were very engaging) that one of the members of the group was lifting up her top and was flashing her headlights during dinner. Afterward I was told about this situation and I thought how disrespectful this behavior was. We were sitting there having a nice dinner with our family including two kids under 8 years old and friends, and this woman is a few tables away exposing herself for no apparent reason, other than shock value. (at least the lady in the above post had a purpose even though it was still inappropriate).

Some folks just don't know how to behave. They will seek to be the center of attention no matter what.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
No, no, no, and NO!!!

You know how sometimes you open up a thread because the title looks really intrgiguing, then live to regret it. Well this one was right up there, and the worst thing was that I couldn't do anything by scan the replies hoping for something that would make me feel better.

The week has GOT to get better, please

Alan
Agree, nice to see someone else from the UK here....
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This would certainly have been an uncomfortable situation and your friends should have immediately brought it to the attention of the Maitre 'd. There is nothing wrong in moving. My son-in-law and I cruised on the Pride last year and the first night we were at a table for two right next to a very noisy station. We asked to be put at a larger table. The next night we were at a six top with a family. Things seemed OK until half way through the meal the father started making racist remarks about the staff. We immediately asked the maitre 'd to be moved. He replied that the family would not be in the dining room for the rest of the cruise. Why, I don't know why but the next night a father with his three children were seated with us and were great company.

The thing is that you don't have to be uncomfortable and don't be afraid to be moved.

In regard to breast feeding. This woman had no class. I am completely in favor of breast feeding and if a woman uses some discretion it's perfectly fine. Use a nursing blanket or express milk before going out in public and use that if you need it.

A few years ago my daughter and I were waiting for my wife at a local mall. We had my infant grandson with us and he was getting fussy. My daughter put her shawl over her shoulder and began to nurse with everything covered. A woman, who had been sitting across the atrium, walked over and told her: "You can't do that in public. You're not a cow!" My daughter who is NOT a wallflower was ready to pounce but grandpa beat her to it. I ripped that woman a new one and she actually ran off. There are extremes on both sides.

BTW: Minnesota also has a law that mothers can breast feed anywhere and anytime. That doesn't mean that discretion and common sense go out the window.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
BTW: Minnesota also has a law that mothers can breast feed anywhere and anytime. That doesn't mean that discretion and common sense go out the window.

Take care,
Mike
I mentioned the Kentucky law, simply because it was unusual to also include in their law the right to express milk anytime, anywhere as well as to nurse. That was unusual compared to the laws of other states.

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm sorry, that mom should of brought the milk with her or had the cereal already to go before going to the dinning room, she had no right to subject those tablemates to that, especially with a 13 year old boy sitting right there....What was she thinking and yea, I would of loved to hear how the husband reacted??

Its just a shame it ruined the dinners for the rest of the cruise for your friends. They should of just asked for a table change and enjoyed the rest of the cruise...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Admiral

It may be lawful...trouble is some people seem to think it's compulsory!!
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Admiral

For first time cruisers to encounter that in the dining room. I understand why they didn't come back to the dining room. Some things you expect and you know how to handle the situation this came out of left field and took them by surprise. I feel bad for the 13 year old son. He probably would have felt uncomfortable anywhere in the dining room after that happened. This could be the reason they decided not to go back.

This woman has no class, she had several options other then what she did:

1. She could have fed the baby before dinner.

2.She could have expressed the milk prior to dinner.

3. She could have accepted the waiter's offer and got the heated milk/water.

4. She could have waited to cruise until the child was an age where it was no longer breast feeding.

Which makes me ask this question. Is an infant's cruise fare the same as a regular person? I was just wondering.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post

Which makes me ask this question. Is an infant's cruise fare the same as a regular person? I was just wondering.

Typically the age of the passenger does not matter. Usually 1st and 2nd passenger pay one rate, and additional passengers in the same cabin pay a reduced rate.

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Captain

Good Morning All,

Katlady, yes an infant does pay the same amount to cruise as a regular person, which personally irritates the crap out of me, but alas that is a gripe and this is the "play nice" area

To those that asked about her hubby's response here is what my girlfriend sent me this am; "Hubby???? That would be the guy that tickled the baby's feet while he was eating so that he'd come off the breast leaving the breast fully exposed for the rest of us while he flashed toothless grins at his dad. Dad was obviously accustomed the behaviour"

And as the mom of a seven month old who is still nursing let me say "yes it is natural" absolutely. "Yes, you should be able to nurse anywhere you wish, at any time that is necessary PROVIDED THAT you have taken the appropriate steps to ensure that every part of you is covered AND PROVIDED THAT you are not making someone else really uncomfortable." I always, always, always cover up, it's a small step that preserves my dignity and offers a degree of comfort for those around me and if I were somewhere in close proximity to others who may be uncomfortable I would always either ask if they minded or I would simply excuse myself and my baby for the short lenghth of time that it takes to feed her. Despite the fact that I think that I am fairly respectful, like Mike's daughter I have also encountered hatefulness from strangers about feeding my baby. The best part ever was when we were on a beach with baby under a towel, with just her feet protruding, a lady in a two piece thong bikini blasted me for being indiscreet for feeding my baby. I didn't get a chance to respond before my 19 year old daughter said "Uh...aren't your butt cheeks hanging out of your thong? I'd rather see my sister eating."

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie View Post
I mentioned the Kentucky law, simply because it was unusual to also include in their law the right to express milk anytime, anywhere as well as to nurse. That was unusual compared to the laws of other states.
Beanie, just my opinion, but that law goes too far. I can't think of one single time where expressing milk in public has been a necessity, if your baby is there you feed them, but expressing?? There is a time and a place for that and it is not anywhere, anytime.

BTW, our Hannah's nickname is Bean : )

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Not as embarrassing as this, but on a beach holiday once we were relaxing in the sun & a kiddie of about 4/5 years old came running up the beach, pulled down his mothers bikini top, "latched -on" for a while then wandered off.
Sorry but when they are old enough to make a peanut butter sandwich by themselves they are at least four years too old for that! Natural or not, YUCK.

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime View Post
Beanie, just my opinion, but that law goes too far. I can't think of one single time where expressing milk in public has been a necessity, if your baby is there you feed them, but expressing?? There is a time and a place for that and it is not anywhere, anytime.

BTW, our Hannah's nickname is Bean : )
\

That's where my screen name came from...we always called d/d Beanie weenie-rice-a-roni or the Bean for short.

Really I think the law was enacted to keep women from having to pump or nurse in unsanitary places like bathroom stalls, but I imagine most people would have the common courtesy and common sense to be discreet and not just let it all hang out.

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Default UK lines

As far as I know UK based cruise lines do not charge for young children nor expect tips from them, CERTAINLY not babies. At risk of causing offense, I don't think the MDR is the best place for babies, either for the baby or the other diners (own family excepted)
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
As far as I know UK based cruise lines do not charge for young children nor expect tips from them, CERTAINLY not babies. At risk of causing offense, I don't think the MDR is the best place for babies, either for the baby or the other diners (own family excepted)
The tips on Carnival are reduced to half for infants. But all the mainstream lines in North America, except MSC charge for babies the same as if they were adults as a third,fourth or fifth in a cabin.

I don't take offence to your opinion that babies should not be in the dining room. However, I do respectfully disagree. We take our infant and our other children the dining room and have enjoyed many wonderful meals together. The difference I think is in the parenting, as soon as our baby shows any sign of fatigue, frustration or boredom, she is out of there, even if I am not done my dinner because while I signed up to deal with a fussy baby, my fellow passengers did not and I can respect that.

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime View Post
The tips on Carnival are reduced to half for infants. But all the mainstream lines in North America, except MSC charge for babies the same as if they were adults as a third,fourth or fifth in a cabin.

I don't take offence to your opinion that babies should not be in the dining room. However, I do respectfully disagree. We take our infant and our other children the dining room and have enjoyed many wonderful meals together. The difference I think is in the parenting, as soon as our baby shows any sign of fatigue, frustration or boredom, she is out of there, even if I am not done my dinner because while I signed up to deal with a fussy baby, my fellow passengers did not and I can respect that.
Glad you are not offended, but I didn't say they should not be in the dining room just that "it was not the best place for them" You do have a realistic attitude to babies though, some think that everyone should adore their kids!!I don't think it is fair to impose very young children on a table with other guests, dinner is the highlight of the day to some/most people where they can indulge in conversation with adults on subjects that would hold no interest for children.
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Admiral

We live in a more open society, and that is great to a point. As a mother who breastfed, her second daughter, I feel that there is a time and a place to do it. Personally, I feel that a mother is more relaxed when she breastfeeds her child in a quiet place, perhaps her cabin on the ship or in the bathroom. This way, the baby, and the mother and baby can enjoy the bond with less distruptions. Then, again, if the people at this person's table, did not object to her breastfeeding, then, she had the right to do it.
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Admiral

I don't think a formal dinner with a whole load of strangers is the place to breastfeed in public.....but she wasn't was she? ...she was expressing milk for cereal!!!
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>especially with a 13 year old boy sitting right there....

Be sure any 13 year old boy is extremely curious about all that stuff.
Every man is interested in breastfeeding too, of course if
it is not his own wife.

breastfeeding at formal dinner ?
that must be really sexy !