Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Default Fear of Flying

Considering the number of you on this site who avoid flying (myself included) how far would be too far to drive to a port?

I'm guessing my "limit" would be around 10 hours.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I HATE flying.. but still wouldn't drive more than a few hours. My limit would probably be 6 hrs.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For me, I hate the idea of getting off the plane and thinking of a drive ahead, rather than a flight...I guess, since I live in Boston, I would have to say the 4 hrs it would take to get to and from NYC.

Ideally, I would like to disembark in Lauderdale, and have a 10 minute drive home

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Admiral

5 hours by car..7.5 hours by bus..10 hours by train
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have no problem with flying. Living in the middle of the country you get used to it.

If I was going to drive to the port my fly or drive threshold would be around 4 hours.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Admiral

I don't care much for flying and do less now than I did a few years ago.
It's become such a pain in the rear anymore--I'm not complaining about the security--it just seems that's there''s always delays somewhere, especially if you have to make connections and it's just added stress. However, a couple weeks ago we flew from Lex. to Chicago to L.A. and back without a glitch or hitch at all.
My limit is about 10 hrs. driving. We used to Live on Jekyll Island, Ga. and when we lived there we could cruise out of Port Canaveral with just over a 3 hr. drive. We cruised out of Tampa several times with a little over a 4 hr. drive so that was really nice--nothing like knowing on the last morning you don't have to fret about getting off, getting to the airport, making the flight, connections, etc. and that your car is waiting in the parking lot.
We like to drive to Jekyll which is about a 9-10 hr. drive, stay all night and then drive on to Tampa or Port Canaveral the next morning. We still have friends on Jekyll and we usually stay over a day or so and visit so that adds to our vacation. I wouldn't drive any further than 10 hrs. in one stretch just to keep from flying.
More and more Airlines are using smaller commuter planes and from Lex. if you fly, that's what you''ll get-- Comair with Delta and American Eagle with American Airlines. I hate those commuters-- I think they have to be less reliable and have lesser trained pilots --Major airlines wouldn't be using them if they didn't save money somewhere and if the pilots and planes were top of the line, they wouldn't be commuters anyway.
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Captain

Default fear of flying

i also have a fear of flying went to the doctor and ask what i can do for it
he gave me a very little pill to take every six hours it relax me and it real help
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Captain

Exclamation Fear of Flying

We live in Ohio, and we routinely drive to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami for cruises. We do, however, try to spend at least a week in Florida before the cruise leaves. It's a not-to-difficult 2 day drive for us.

We just got back from the Mercury, which sailed out of Charleston, SC. We drove home in one day - 11 hours.

We will fly if we absolutely have to, but prefer to drive.
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Admiral

I have no fear of flying but last time my flights were just as expensive as my cruise. BLECH! I decided if I was going to spend the money, I might as well make it worth my time. I extended my cruise vacation by a week and drove down to Miami from Detroit. The cruise was fantastic then I did a very slow amble back up north over the next week (St. Augustine, Ashville (Biltmore) and Nashville. I enjoyed it so much. I think I will continue to do this in the future when I cruise.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
First Mate

Dina,

I love that idea!
Old April 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Passenger

We are going on our first cruise in a week and a half. We have decided to drive down from Flint, Michigan to Jacksonville over a period of 3 days. It will make it a nice leisurely drive and we will not be whipped by time we get to the ship.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Admiral

I did not fly till I was 50 .Although I hate to fly if I want to see the world I have no choice
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Captain

Having just returned from the Glory yesterday and having experienced incredibly crappy inconveniences, the only thing the airline provides for free, I personally plan to return to driving to my preferred ports. Typically this entails a 32 hour drive from home to the port, and after yesterday I would do this without blinking an eye. Flying was supposed to save time in exchange for the additional costs and this was not our experience as far as I am concerned if I can reach the port by car, that's how I'll be getting there from now on.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Sounds like an awful experience!!! Thanks for reminding me why we no longer fly.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Admiral

I have no fear of flying at all, but we drove from New Britain, Connectocut to Ft. lauderdale for our cruise on the Oasis last month. We wanted to visit some relatives along the way and flying was not an option.
We took our time and the drive was not bad at all.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16 *Anniversary cruise *
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Admiral

We have driven everywhere we go for over sixteen years after my wife developed a desire never to fly. As for me, I loved flying but remember that was in the days before 911 and we found out that the commuter pilots were flying for "minimum wage." I wouldn't fly commuters anyway.

For those who drive; Dina, if you have AAA you can save a good chunk of the now exorbitant charge to tour Biltmore (although I'd do it anyway).

Kim, if you're from Flint you might know of a place our family used to vacation over 56 years ago called, Fife Lake. Yeah, I'm ancient.

While I absolutely still love to drive, I have to make arrangements these days after a ten to twelve hour drive to have a physical therapist and a half a bottle of bourbon awaiting when I get to my destination. The bourbon tends to tamper my screams as the physical therapist takes about an hour to get my hip joints to move again. It won't be that long before they'll need the Jaws of Life just to get me out from behind the wheel.

Todd
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Admiral

Default Fear of Flying

Neither my DH nor I have a fear of flying. But it's become a PITA. My DHG finally talked me into driving to Phoenix to visit his brother. About six or seven hours. Still too long, in my opinion, but cheaper, plus I had the advantage of having my own car while I was there.

To fly out of Los Angeles or Long Beach, it's only about an hour's drive, two to three to San Diego. Not a problem. But I gotten car sick on occasion, so I still prefer flying.

Judy
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't mind flying, but it has gotten harder. How can I pack enough for a 10-day cruise in one bag that weighs less than 50 lbs.? I guess I'll have to figure out something! We have driven 12 hours for a cruise before. It made a huge difference in our cruise cost because we saved 6 airline tickets! We also were able to use free hotel stays DH earns while travelling for work. However, I refused to drive 20 hours with 4 kids for the cruise out of Miami. If we had been able to divide the drive up over 2 or 3 days it would have been no problem, but because of work commitments that wouldn't work. It would have worked if I had driven by myself with the kids - as it was my husband was the one who had the conflict - but I'm not that crazy!!!!!!
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Admiral

I did something that I doubt that anyone on this site ever did .It was in the days I feared to get into an airplane .My wife and I went from NYC to California via Greyhound Bus .We toured California by bus for 2 weeks and then went back to NYC with Greyhound . We stopped in 43 cities going and coming .
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Tee Hee...most of us in the Uk can get to most places in 4hours by car. Personally we find flying just a bore, the whole airport thing is a pain. We live near enough to Southampton UK to be on board within an hour of leaving home!!
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Passenger

Wink Flight time v. train ride

I'm not crazy about flying either. We are going on our first cruise to Alaska. We have to get to Seattle, WA for the cruise. We live in Mississippi. I dislike flying so much that I looked into the costs and time for a train ride to Seattle. It was only a little cheaper than the plane ticket and was going to take 3 days to get there, as opposed to the 5 hour plane trip! I think I'll take my chances with the plane....
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Kimbopolo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Considering the number of you on this site who avoid flying (myself included) how far would be too far to drive to a port?

I'm guessing my "limit" would be around 10 hours.
A couple hours would be about my limit now.

Then again, I overcame my fear of flying about 25 years ago, thanks to a job that landed me in frequent flyer programs at three major airlines. Now, I typically fly over 25,000 miles per year (enough to qualify for the first tier of premium standing in most frequent flier plans) on personal travel. Business travel sometimes pushes me up to a higher premium tier.

And yes, I'm over half way to "million miler" status on Delta Air Lines....

BTW, the premium tiers of most frequent flier plans really do a lot to make air travel much less unpleasant. Most plans provide perks such as use of the "first class" check-in queue and priority boarding (meaning that one may board before other coach passengers) when flying coach, waiver of baggage fees, complementary upgrades to first class on domestic flights (which means complementary headsets, adult beverages, etc.) whenever seats are available in the first class cabin, and priority status when there's an overbooking issue or some operational disruption. Also, most airlines instruct their agents to go the extra mile for the premium tier frequent fliers because we represent a disproportionately large slice of the airline's business. And truthfully, a lot of the pain in security, etc., comes simply from not doing it frequently enough to be familiar with the procedures.

Norm, who will gladly take an "extra" trip or two by plane to preserve those premium tier perks....

Last edited by Rev22:17; May 12th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Ideally, I would like to disembark in Lauderdale, and have a 10 minute drive home
Eeeewww! Disembarkation? Yuck!

Wrong way!

Norm.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Passenger

thanks for the thread, figure i would bump up for any more responses since it has been awhile.

We are considering riding 12 1/2 hours from NJ to Charleston then doing the cruise & stay package at a hotel night before. To me not a big deal since we would leave around 3:00 in the morning which is something we have done many times for other vacations. It works out well to leave that time.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
First Mate

You must have some serious back trouble, dude. You can forget a show-biz career.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I have no problem with flying. Living in the middle of the country you get used to it.

If I was going to drive to the port my fly or drive threshold would be around 4 hours.

Take care,
Mike
My previous post makes no sense without Mike's quote. Back in my "road" days, 4 hours was a commute, not a trip.
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
First Mate

Oops again! I'd better get on subject before I get whacked. I love to fly. If I could afford a plane, I would fly everywhere. Dealing with airlines and living on the tarmac is an entirely different matter. Over the years there have been ups and downs in the flying business. We are on a down now, but it is not the first. In 1969, I flew from Nashville to Baton Rouge on business. Took me 14 hours to get there. During the week I was there, I bought a motorcycle and rode back in 10 hours.
A lot depends on connections, and I have not found any one web site that can show all available flights between two cities. At the very least, they all exclude Southwest; except for Southwest.com, that is.
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Admiral

I wounder how long it would take to drive from Wellington, NZ to Fort Lauderdale, Florida???

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!