Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default To shave or not to shave ,that is the question

I've had a beard of sorts since 1968 and a mustache since 1963 . My hair had always been reddish brown but now its getting grey .I definitely need to have my beard trimmed .At one time it was as long as the guy from ZZ Top ,now moderately long . I'm thinking of perhaps shaving which of course will give me the option to grow it back but I assume it will grow in grey .If I continue to trim itwill be a while before it becomes totally grey.

Opinions ,please
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Perhaps a picture would help? Can't make an opinion without seeing it!

donna
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Henry, for me, if a man decides to have a beard, it needs to look it's best, as it frames your face, and of course it's the first thing people wiill see...so, I would say, shave and if you decide to regrow it, it will be all one color, and, will update your look, and be more modern....Call Oprah..she does shows like this all the time Anyway, I am sure you will look handsome whatever you decide upon.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; May 20th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Why don't you try trimming it to just over an inch and see how it looks as a "standard - frame youf face" kind of beard. That way you still have a beard and you can get an idea of what your face looks like underneath?

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Admiral

My hubby has a well trimmed beard. I know I trim it. It does have grey in it and I think it looks nice. However, if you don't like the grey in your hair or beard then I say color it. Not to dark a nice meduim brown would work. For the beard please use color intended to be used on the face. I'm not a Just for men fan, but they do make a color for the beard. Here is a picture of my hubby and his beard.:-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Kat,looks great and very well groomed

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Admiral

No doubt at all ...SHAVE IT OFF! I think beards put years on you especially when they start to go grey.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Admiral

I have had a beard for around 20 years and a mustache off and on for 30. I like my beard to be long and scraggly; I trim around once every two months. I have thought about shaving it off but then sanity returns. Maybe if I want to disappear, I will shave off my bear ala David Jannsen in an old movie.

Henry, I recommend keeping the beard and letting the beard and hair grow.

Katlady, is that Creamy Italian?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Captain

I vote for keeping it even if it has some gray in it. I think my hubby is super sexy with the gray in his hair and whiskers. I'm not crazy about long scraggly beards but a neat one with the color of experience mixed into the natural colour really works for me.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Try shaving it off....if you don't like looking 10 years younger & not looking like the rear end of a badger, grow it back!!
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Where I come from only two kinds of people have extra long beards: gold prospectors and Hell's Angels.

I like ZZ-Top and Willie Nelson. beards are acceptable in counry honkey tonk bars.

But in all serious, I think you might be surprised how dirfferently people react to you if you were to trim it to a dignified Sean Connery style. Beards are cool, but really long beards are kind if like parting your hair down the middle, it just looks like it you walked out of a time machine.

But I really do not want to pre-judge you. Your beard may look perfect for you. A picture would be very cool. Some enterprising graphics person might even take it and add a clean chin in photoshop and see how you would look.

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Familiar Face

Katlady - my DH's beard looks like your DH's beard and I love it! I think a salt/pepper look is very nice.....so Henry, in your case it may be salt/paprika, but I'm sure once its trimmed, it will be a very handsome look for you!

I agree with the others.......post a picture please (before and after).

Michelle
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Trimmed beards on young good looking men are "cool", anything else just makes you look old, especially if it's going grey.
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Paul, I have to agree that having an unkempt scraggly beard changes peoples percetpion of someone...Close and trimmed is a good look...and you can't lose your lunch i it

Old May 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Thank you all for opinions .I am going to have the beard trimmed tomorrow based on Paul's suggestion which is also my wifes mandate to me .

If I want to post a before and after photo at some point where do I do it ?
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I have had a beard for around 20 years and a mustache off and on for 30. I like my beard to be long and scraggly; I trim around once every two months. I have thought about shaving it off but then sanity returns. Maybe if I want to disappear, I will shave off my bear ala David Jannsen in an old movie.

Henry, I recommend keeping the beard and letting the beard and hair grow.

Katlady, is that Creamy Italian?
Why yes it is. He isn't in the bathtub in this picture. Creamy Italian is the opposite of me he has 11 posts on this site. I have over 10K. Creamy looks very handsome with his trimmed beard. I have seen him without it. He looks better with it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; May 21st, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Thank you all for opinions .I am going to have the beard trimmed tomorrow based on Paul's suggestion which is also my wifes mandate to me .

If I want to post a before and after photo at some point where do I do it ?
You need the before and after pictures on the internet. Then you would get the web location and enter it in the image box. This is the image box. You can right click on the picture in order to get the web location. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Henry43;1292942]Thank you all for opinions .I am going to have the beard trimmed tomorrow based on Paul's suggestion which is also my wifes mandate to me .
IfQUOTE]

Henry, you will look younger with your beard trimmed, and it makes life a lot easier when you keep your wife happy.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Yes ,after nearly 44 years so very true ,
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Default Followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Where I come from only two kinds of people have extra long beards: gold prospectors and Hell's Angels.

I like ZZ-Top and Willie Nelson. beards are acceptable in counry honkey tonk bars.

But in all serious, I think you might be surprised how dirfferently people react to you if you were to trim it to a dignified Sean Connery style. Beards are cool, but really long beards are kind if like parting your hair down the middle, it just looks like it you walked out of a time machine.

But I really do not want to pre-judge you. Your beard may look perfect for you. A picture would be very cool. Some enterprising graphics person might even take it and add a clean chin in photoshop and see how you would look.
I had my beard professionally trimmed 3 days ago . I am now in the process of getting opinions from friends and family as to whether I should be totally clean shaven .I have 6 votes for keeping the beard ,2 for shaving both beard and mustache ,one for a goatee .I e-mailed some friends earlier today and I eagerly await their responses
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Great Henry - we all grow up at some point. I remember cutting my hair short at age 28 - and I was in the music biz.

How many inches did you cut off?

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Paul..that's your story and you are sticking to it

Henry and Manual..what ever your spouse says is what you will do
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Those that say they like the beard are telling you what they think you want to hear, those who say shave it off are your only true friends, the one who says ''have a goatee'' has either always borne a grudge against you since childhood OR has been told by his wife what handsome fella you are & without the beard you would be irresistable......up to you of course!!
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

John.... funny, but goatees are considered to be very common these days (maybe not as much as a few years ago, but still).

Some men look better with beards, if they have a weak chin, a turkeyneck or bad skin, for example. But it doesn't have to be long.

Personally I just prefer not to have one because I probably couldn't keep my hands off of it - plus I would surely get food in it.

I think most ladies prefer clean-shaven men unless the man looks more handsome with the beard. I had a beard in highschool back when the Beatles Let it Be came out (look at the cover, everyone had a beard for that year).

Once I was done with it I never regrew one. Now I can't picture having one.

I would have long hair again, though, if it wasn't for the "high forehead"

Old May 24th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Admiral

I had some form of beard for maybe 20/25 years, I resisted shaving it off but kept it really short. To trim it evenly I used an electric shaver but against a comb to keep it to the length I wanted. I would never have another beard especially as it's gone grey, just makes me look even older.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Admiral

John,

I wouldn't have to worry about looking older as I already have white hair and a "corporation." About the only thing it would do is ensure I'd be able to get a job as Santa but as I've already been there - done that........

Todd
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Default Inches

Quote:
Great Henry - we all grow up at some point. I remember cutting my hair short at age 28 - and I was in the music biz.

How many inches did you cut off?
I'm not sure but there is not much to pull
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Default Facial hair

Quote:
John.... funny, but goatees are considered to be very common these days (maybe not as much as a few years ago, but still).

Some men look better with beards, if they have a weak chin, a turkeyneck or bad skin, for example. But it doesn't have to be long.

Personally I just prefer not to have one because I probably couldn't keep my hands off of it - plus I would surely get food in it.

I think most ladies prefer clean-shaven men unless the man looks more handsome with the beard. I had a beard in highschool back when the Beatles Let it Be came out (look at the cover, everyone had a beard for that year).

Once I was done with it I never regrew one. Now I can't picture having one.

I would have long hair again, though, if it wasn't for the "high forehead"
I had a mustache in my teens and a beard in my mid 20's . At one time nearly all of my friends had a beard ,now only one and he grew his recently . My wife ,children and grandchilden prefer the beard but who knows ,lol
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Admiral

This is the only before picture I could find .I am not ready to do an after photo till I decide what I want to do

Last edited by Lakers Fan; May 30th, 2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Henry ...the before one says it all !!