Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Default Boston (Help)!!!.Plane..Amtrak...Windjammer Help !!!

need help from our Boston Cruisemates

going on a Maine Windjammer weekend cruise in August(20th thru 22nd) for my birthday ..the Windjammer actually leaves from Camden Maine, my brother and his wife live in Old Orchard Beach (about 2 hours driving time)..last time I visited I flew into Manchester NH on Southwest and they picked me up (about 2 1/2 hour drive)

this time I'm looking at flying on Jet Blue's non stop from New Orleans to Boston which arrives at 4:06...understand Amtrak has a non stop train (Northeasterner) that leaves from the North station (126 Legend Way near Causeway) to Portland Maine (less then 45 minutes from his house) at 540 pm and then the next is not until 11 pm at night

my question ..how far is it from the airport to the North train station by cab or subway (in other words could i make that connection at that time of day if the flight is ontime)...back up question, if i have to take the 11 pm train, how far is it from the airport to Fenway Park and how far is it from Fenway to the North train station and do the Red Sox play an evening game on Thursday August 19th ? (never seen a game at Fenway)..if no Red Sox game, what can we do for a couple hours in Boston that is close to the North train station

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Venice,

Sounds as if Trip would be the best one to ask about possible travel arrangements and Boston locations. Also, I'm sure Laura could also answer your questions as to locations and proximities.

The only thing I can contribute to your efforts is that Boston is playing an evening game at home (7:10 PM EDT start time) against the Athletics. Am sorry it isn't the Yankees as were that to have been the scheduled game, you could watch Boston lose at home!

Good luck!

Todd
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Venice,

Sounds as if Trip would be the best one to ask about possible travel arrangements and Boston locations. Also, I'm sure Laura could also answer your questions as to locations and proximities.

The only thing I can contribute to your efforts is that Boston is playing an evening game at home (7:10 PM EDT start time) against the Athletics. Am sorry it isn't the Yankees as were that to have been the scheduled game,
Quote:
you could watch Boston lose at home!

Good luck!

Todd
Ahem!!! I think you mean WIN!!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Venice, I would advise you to go and watch the Sox win. Trying to traverse across town at rush hour could be a nightmare. Not sure how late the game lasts. Trip might have better info as to how long it would take to get from Fenway back to North Station. I have not been in Boston in many years.
Another Windjammer, how wonderful. I loved my Windjammer cruise it was absoultely the most unique cruise I have ever done. So different from what we usually do but so restful. I wish you a great cruise.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Captain

Not sure if this helps but were you aware that Jet Blue flies right into Portland, Maine?

Secondly, here is something you may or may not have already looked into but there is a busline- Concord Trailways, that operates directly from Logan airport, with a pick up right outside the Jet Blue baggage claim and it takes you into Portland. They have several buses running with a good service and extremely pleasant drivers, they provide movies, free bottled water and normally a snack food of some sort. I think it was $ 25 a person last time we did it. The convenience of an airport pick up made the bus a better option for us so I thought I'd pass it along just in case it would work for you.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Oooo, no pressure right? One would thing I might know, but, I don't know those areas well at all...I am going to try and get an answer, from my boss, who has a map in his brain! In the meantime, maybe, Parrotmom, or the Rev, will jump in till then...sorry

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; May 24th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Admiral

venice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
need help from our Boston Cruisemates

going on a Maine Windjammer weekend cruise in August(20th thru 22nd) for my birthday ..the Windjammer actually leaves from Camden Maine, my brother and his wife live in Old Orchard Beach (about 2 hours driving time)..last time I visited I flew into Manchester NH on Southwest and they picked me up (about 2 1/2 hour drive)

this time I'm looking at flying on Jet Blue's non stop from New Orleans to Boston which arrives at 4:06...understand Amtrak has a non stop train (Northeasterner) that leaves from the North station (126 Legend Way near Causeway) to Portland Maine (less then 45 minutes from his house) at 540 pm and then the next is not until 11 pm at night

my question ..how far is it from the airport to the North train station by cab or subway (in other words could i make that connection at that time of day if the flight is ontime)...back up question, if i have to take the 11 pm train, how far is it from the airport to Fenway Park and how far is it from Fenway to the North train station and do the Red Sox play an evening game on Thursday August 19th ? (never seen a game at Fenway)..if no Red Sox game, what can we do for a couple hours in Boston that is close to the North train station

thanks in advance
From Logan International Airport to North Station?

Distance-wise, it's about five miles.

Time-wise, on a weeknight, it may well take about an hour.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Also, don't count on making the 11:00 train after an evening baseball game at Fenway Park.

Realistically, your best option is to book the 11:00 train. When you arrive, take a taxi to North Station and check in for your train (so you can check your luggage), then go to one of the nearby restaurants for dinner. There are several restaurants right across the street in front of North Station, or you can walk a couple blocks into the heart of the North End (noted for exceptional Italian cuisine) or about five blocks to the Quincy Market (which has a variety of excellent restaurants). You'll have plenty of time for a nice dinner before you have to return to North Station at 10:30 or so to find the right track to board your train.

Norm.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Admiral

spoke with my brother on Sunday and he suggested that he will drive to Boston to pick us up and he'll treat all 4 of us to the ballgame and drive back to Maine after the game.... and we will just take the train back to Boston on Monday and we have 3 hours to get from the train station to the airport
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Venice, if you brother is very familiar with Boston then he knows all about the logistics of getting from Logan to Fenway and then parking, yikes, if not then i would suggest either leaving the car at Logan and hoping the "T" or driving to commuter "T" station, park the car there and then ride to a station close to Fenway Park. Also home tickets are very hard to come by, i suggest getting your game tickets now
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Lisa, thanks for the logistics..i'm sure he has his wife working on the tickets as I type this