Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Default Jamaica

Probably will be terminated as a port stop for a while. Lots of violence

Jamaica Observer: Jamaica's Best Newspaper, Jamaican News Online - JamaicaObserver.com

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G View Post
Probably will be terminated as a port stop for a while. Lots of violence

Jamaica Observer: Jamaica's Best Newspaper, Jamaican News Online - JamaicaObserver.com
I am not certain about that since the violence is in the Kingston area which is a distance from the cruise ports and on the south side of the island, while the cruise ports are all on the north side. Kingston has been noted for its gang and drug-related violence for quite some time now. I believe that the cruiselines will continue to call on Jamaica unless the violence spills out of the Kingston area to the nation at large which is unlikely as it relates to one drug kingpin and his followers who are concentrated in Kingston.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Admiral

I have been there once. It will be a long time before I go back
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Although you're probably right as to the concentration of the violence Doug, the present situation combined with a number of attacks over the past year or two on cruise ship passengers bodes ill for Jamaica's future as a Cruise stop. The more violent the country becomes, the greater the possible liability of the cruise lines.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that folks probably are really beginning to avoid tours whether cruise line sponsored or otherwise as those on vacations are rather prudent about avoiding such situations, especially if those situations are widely publicized.

Todd
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

What a shame as the island itself is very beautiful and is a desirable vacation destination. But when safety concerns outweigh the tourist's desire to visit the island a large economic downfall will create even more problems for Jamaicans.

My German born watch repairman lived in St. Croix, USVI for years until he grew tired of the violence, drugs and craziness. Lucky for me he moved to Florida. It got so bad there that not only cruise passengers were being robbed but also cruise employees.
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Although you're probably right as to the concentration of the violence Doug, the present situation combined with a number of attacks over the past year or two on cruise ship passengers bodes ill for Jamaica's future as a Cruise stop. The more violent the country becomes, the greater the possible liability of the cruise lines.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that folks probably are really beginning to avoid tours whether cruise line sponsored or otherwise as those on vacations are rather prudent about avoiding such situations, especially if those situations are widely publicized.

Todd
I agree Todd, I am just expressing the opinion that the cruiselines will not rush to divert port calls, if anything, they will ease it out like Carnival did with Antigua, substituting St. Kitts.

It is sad to see what is happening in Kingston but it is just another indication that Jamacia is becoming a leading narco-state.

Old May 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_the_board View Post
What a shame as the island itself is very beautiful and is a desirable vacation destination. But when safety concerns outweigh the tourist's desire to visit the island a large economic downfall will create even more problems for Jamaicans.

My German born watch repairman lived in St. Croix, USVI for years until he grew tired of the violence, drugs and craziness. Lucky for me he moved to Florida. It got so bad there that not only cruise passengers were being robbed but also cruise employees.
That is why few cruise ships visit St Croix.

Old May 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Kingston has been notorious for violence and riots for years..just a few years ago, there was rioting because of taxes I believe. My son's friend, has friends in this city, one was killed...He has said he will not go back for a while.

I have given this port 3 tries,and if it's on my itinerary, I will stay on board. To have a strip mall, with a jewlery store and a 7~11 type store on the tour I paid good money for...not again....as we walked into the dirtiest Margarittavile, I have seen and a drug deal took place..no way.

I bet when Cuba does finally opens up..Jamaica, with all its's beauty, but, with many issues, will be left in the ships wake.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; May 26th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Captain

If Jamaica disappeared off of the cruise itineraries I would not be the least bit sad. Canada just issued a travel warning for Jamaica this past weekend, long overdue as far as I am concerned. When you can see drug deals in the local market in Ocho Rios and you are given a list of streets and shops that are unsafe, I lose my desire to visit a place. There are too many beautiful places that are not marred with these events for me to bother going to Jamaica to spend my money and risk my life. If I were to end up on a ship with Jamaica as a port of call again, I'd just hang out on the ship, at least there I know that I am pretty safe.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I also agree that the cruise higher ups must be reconsidering using this as a port of call.

We have been several times, but the last was very scary. You hear people focus on Kingston, but crime has been the way of life, all over the island for years now.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Admiral

We are currently researching our next cruise...and purposely avoiding any itinerary that includes Jamaica.
We have not had positive experiences there in the past and have no desire to go back. This includes all-inclusive type holidays. We've done one in Jamaica, and although it was beautiful, the poverty and crime we witnessed was disturbing, and the fact that the resort had to be surrounded by a 10 foot stone wall with barbed wire at the top was just plain scary.

Many Canadian prefer Cuba, particularly for all-inclusive destinations.
We're just waiting for Cuba to open it's doors to cruise ships.

donna
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Many years ago when I was a mere youth I was dating a young woman native to Jamaica .She described the island as paradise .Unfortunately I never went to see it for myself.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
We are currently researching our next cruise...and purposely avoiding any itinerary that includes Jamaica.
We have not had positive experiences there in the past and have no desire to go back. This includes all-inclusive type holidays. We've done one in Jamaica, and although it was beautiful, the poverty and crime we witnessed was disturbing, and the fact that the resort had to be surrounded by a 10 foot stone wall with barbed wire at the top was just plain scary.

Many Canadian prefer Cuba, particularly for all-inclusive destinations.
We're just waiting for Cuba to open it's doors to cruise ships.

donna
The wait will continue until the US changes its almost 50 year-old outmoded Cold War policy on Cuba. While the sentiment to alter this policy and establish diplomatic relations with Cuba is growing on all sides of the political spectrum, it will not change as long as both parties fear that they will lose the Cuban-American vote by changing the policy. Problem is that under our Electoral College system Florida can and has swung elections (Remember 2000 when Gore got the majority vote nationwide but lost due to Florida's electoral college votes going to Bush). The Cuban-American vote in South Florida is significant and can swing Florida one way or the other. If the Cuban-American population were more dispersed nationwide, I think we would have normalized relations with Cuba a decade or two ago, possibly shortly after the fall of the USSR.

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Henry what was, sadly isn't anymore...in the Erroll Flynn years, I bet it was...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator