Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Default Law and Order !!!! RIP

I watched the very first episode the friday night that it debut on NBC and the final, last night, and thanks to reruns and cable, I've seen every episode of the show thru it's 20 year run and will miss the fact that there won't be anymore new episodes or new young beautiful thin female assistant district attorneys or new cop partners..Lenny Briscoe is my favorite detective with his drop dead wisecracks at the beginning of each show

my all time favorite episode is when the Black executive was trying to pass as White and had killed his second wife and his first wife had kept secret from their son that he was mixed..Lt Van Buren had him in the "box" and in a powerful scene really got to him...

great show..are there any other L& O fans and if so, what was your favorite episode
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Admiral

I'm a fan of the show and all of the spinoffs .I found it most interesting that Richard Belzer and Tracy Morrow were cast as police officers .
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Admiral

L&O trivia question :

Name the actor who had the most appearances on all of the shows .Interestingly he never uttered more than one sentence in any episode .
He is an accomplished stage actor who has been acting more than 40 years.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was slow to take to this show,but once I did, I was in! Venice, I do remember that epsiode.....Jerry Orbach was a fave of mine..Michael Moriarty not so much.....I adored S.Epatha, and, so glad she ended up getting good news....The L.A. version will be on my list for fall must see shows.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 25th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Henry..was the actor the baliff who read the charges at the arraignment at the beginning of the 2nd half of the show ?

I always wonder who the actress is that work in the station that always walked into Van Buren's office when she was talking to the detectives..good looking woman

Henry..i always thought it was funny that Ice-T played a cop considering his history with the rap group NWA..also Beltzer came over from Homicide: Life On The Streets
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Fran was a law and order fanatic...most especially when Jimmy Smits was on the show. The show where he eventually died, I swear my wife sobbed and went into mourning for it seemed a week. If I'd have died, I told her she'd have relegated me to the "Whose he?" category after a day and a half. She responded that would never happen.........had I the looks of Jimmy Smits.

The friends I had in the NYPD used to say back in the seventies that the most realistic cop show on TV was Barney Miller.

My favorite was Police Story back in the mid seventies. I so wish I could find a copy of that theme song. I think it was by Nelson Riddle but when I started looking for it, that album was impossible to find.

Todd
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Admiral

I too have been a fan of Law and Order since the very 1st episode in 1990. I saw the 1st episode and never missed one since, through the modern technology of VCRs and now DVRs. I cannot point to a single episode, but I loved Michael Moriarty and the early episodes in which he had his great court room battles with the defense attorney, Ms. Shembala Green. Those were great episodes! As I watch the episodes from early 1990s, I am still awed to see just how much both our society and law enforcement have changed. In the early episodes, you can't find a single computer, cell phone, DNA match or many of the modern technologies you see in episodes for the last 10 years. I think it says a lot about Law and Order as a great show and it's longevity as one of our greatest dramas ever that our society and technology changed so much during it's incredible 20 year run on TV.

Lenny Briscoe was my favorite detective and character. Some of my favorite episodes included the 3 part episodes about the studio head that was murdered and they had to go to LA to solve it. Also, the 2 episodes that had Larry Miller as the comedy club owner who got away with killing his wife in the first episode, but a few years later they brought him back in the same character in which he killed his 2nd wife.

Here is som L&O trivia. Did you know that a sitting US Congressman from NY was a frequent guest star as a Judge? Jerry Orbach's 1st appearance on L&O was as a defense attorney, not as a cop!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Fran was a law and order fanatic...most especially when Jimmy Smits was on the show. The show where he eventually died, I swear my wife sobbed and went into mourning for it seemed a week. If I'd have died, I told her she'd have relegated me to the "Whose he?" category after a day and a half. She responded that would never happen.........had I the looks of Jimmy Smits.
Jimmy Smits was never on Law and Order, you must be thinking of NYPD Blue. Jimmy Smits was a detective that died on NYPD Blue.

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Admiral

BlueLiner..I think that's one of the great aspects of the show..that it brought back actors in either recurring roles or expanded roles..alot of NYC actors and extras and behind the scenes folks found study work and health benefits thru the Actors Guild by working on the show over the years..plus the script writers must have had a field day with using headlines for the basis of their scripts..nothing better then a spin on reality with the famous L&O "hook"..never a big fan of the 2 spin offs however I have gotten into Jeff Goldblum and his partner on the A&E editions of L&O Criminal Intent

Todd...just be thankful Fran didn't have the hots for Lt. Sipowiczyou might contact the website for TV Land and see if they can get you a copy of the theme song for Police Story
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Default R.I.P. Law and Order

Like most of us the show will live on in reruns..I think here I can get a re-run twice a day.. My very favorite actor was Jerry Orbach, did you know he was an excellent singer and dancer.. He stared in a play called The Fantastics and I believe in the original Chicago. His last show, when he could barely talk.. as he left... I cried..Venice your right... many budding actors and actresses have Law and Order on their resume.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Thanks Blueliner, I goofed and Fran also corrected me. Jimmy Smits was in NYPD Blue.

She said the her favorite on L&W was also Jerry Orbach. Fran and I saw him over twenty years ago on Broadway in the 2nd production of "42nd Street." He was magnificent. We were down in if I remember correctly, the fourth or fifth row.

Todd
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

My favorite has become SVU. It is very well done.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Default Belzer and Ice T

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Henry..was the actor the baliff who read the charges at the arraignment at the beginning of the 2nd half of the show ?

I always wonder who the actress is that work in the station that always walked into Van Buren's office when she was talking to the detectives..good looking woman

Henry..i always thought it was funny that Ice-T played a cop considering his history with the rap group NWA..also Beltzer came over from Homicide: Life On The Streets
Belzer portrayibg a cop is like me portraying George Bush .Ice T aka Tracy Morrow playing a cop is beond that .
The actor that has appeared on Law and Order more than any other frequently plays jurors and judges .He has been in hundreds of movies and numerous plays in NY .He is the founder of a theatrical company in Brooklyn .
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Default Jimmy Smits

Quote:

The friends I had in the NYPD used to say back in the seventies that the most realistic cop show on TV was Barney Miller.

My favorite was Police Story back in the mid seventies. I so wish I could find a copy of that theme song. I think it was by Nelson Riddle but when I started looking for it, that album was impossible to find.

Todd

My wife worked with Jimmy Smits sister when he was on his cop show.One day he came to visit his sister at work and the women nearly fainted.

My friends retired from the NYPD agree re Barney Miller
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Default Jerry Orbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Like most of us the show will live on in reruns..I think here I can get a re-run twice a day.. My very favorite actor was Jerry Orbach, did you know he was an excellent singer and dancer.. He stared in a play called The Fantastics and I believe in the original Chicago. His last show, when he could barely talk.. as he left... I cried..Venice your right... many budding actors and actresses have Law and Order on their resume.
I met him years ago at a restaurant in Manhattan:Rao's .He was so down to earth
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Default Jerry Orbach

Quote:
Thanks Blueliner, I goofed and Fran also corrected me. Jimmy Smits was in NYPD Blue.

She said the her favorite on L&W was also Jerry Orbach. Fran and I saw him over twenty years ago on Broadway in the 2nd production of "42nd Street." He was magnificent. We were down in if I remember correctly, the fourth or fifth row.

Todd
He was in the original production of The Fantastiks ,the longest running show of all time
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Admiral

and don't forget Orbach was in Dirty Dancing

I always enjoy when they do L&O marathons on tv during the holidays on different channels..one can catch up on missed episodes and admire how the cast replacements kept the machine going
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default Jerry

Occasionally on the radio we hear the original Fantastics with Jerry Orbach singing.. Lets not even talk about Jimmy Smitts dying scene... i cried and cried too
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
BlueLiner..I think that's one of the great aspects of the show..that it brought back actors in either recurring roles or expanded roles..alot of NYC actors and extras and behind the scenes folks found study work and health benefits thru the Actors Guild by working on the show over the years.
I loved the fact L&O used the same actors or actresses in different roles. A particular actor would be an attorney in one episode, then the next season they'd be a witness in another episode, and the next season they'd be the criminal in an episode. They also crossed over actors into the spin-offs as well. In one season, you could see the same actor in 3 different roles on all 3 different L&Os.

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Admiral

There was one particular actor who was on a zillion times...as an exstremist, with his son and friends in a gun plot, as a schitzophrenic, and many other roles...he will miss the filming in NYC I bet...

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Default Actors

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
I loved the fact L&O used the same actors or actresses in different roles. A particular actor would be an attorney in one episode, then the next season they'd be a witness in another episode, and the next season they'd be the criminal in an episode. They also crossed over actors into the spin-offs as well. In one season, you could see the same actor in 3 different roles on all 3 different L&Os.
The guy I referred to is a SAG member ,not an extra .He loved appearing on L&O
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Default Defense Attorney

A woman by the name of Tovah Feldshuh, a well know NYC actress/singer who we have seen in one woman shows played for almost 2 dozen times a Defense Attorney..
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Dick Wolfe hopes to see it somewhere though...

TNT Won't Save 'Law & Order'

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I think they should make the movie "Law & Order" and feature everyone that is still alive that has ever been part of the cast..the plot could be that DA Jack McCoy is found murdered in his office late at night with his pants down and lipstick presentevery female ADA that has ever worked for Jack is a suspect and Lt Van Buren has to called back all of her detectives that ever worked with her and the ADA's and McCoy to conduct the investigation

what I haven't figured out is what would be the famous L&O "surprise turn in the plot"..any suggestions
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Admiral

...I want to know if Sharon Stones stint on law & Order SVU, is a precurser to her being on the Los Angeles show...she does need a job,and she was great!

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Admiral

One of the ADA's leaves her job and goes to work as Press Secretary for a famous US Senator . Soon after McCoy's body is found she disappears . Her aunt with whom she lives in Washington ,DC calls upon her former lover a retired detective in Los Angeles .He comes to DC to search for the missing woman .