CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   PrePaid discounted Internet packages now available thru TAs (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/374256-prepaid-discounted-internet-packages-now-available-thru-tas.html)

Kuki June 2nd, 2010 05:19 PM

PrePaid discounted Internet packages now available thru TAs

MTN OFFERS PREPAID INTERNET CARDS FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS THROUGH TRAVEL AGENTS
Opportunity to Pre-sell Onboard Internet Access at Discounted Rates

MIRAMAR, Fla. – June 2, 2010 – (Marine NewsWire) – MTN Satellite Communications (MTN), the leading global service provider of communications, connectivity, and content services to remote locations around the world, today announced a special incentive program under which travel agents can offer their customers prepaid Internet access cards for use on cruise ships.

This wholesale/resale incentive program for travel professionals will not only add to the overall cruising experience for their customers but will also provide them with additional revenue, according to Brent Horwitz, senior vice president, MTN cruise and ferry services.

“More than 165 cruise ships are currently equipped with MTN Internet Café and Wi-Fi services,” said Horwitz. “Now travel agents can pre-sell Internet time to their clients when booking cruises at lower rates than they would be charged onboard, or they can even offer free cards to customers as a value-added incentive for booking a cruise. These prepaid Internet access cards are a great way for passengers to stay connected, anytime, anywhere.”

The shipboard Internet Cafés are built and staffed by MTN employees, ensuring trouble-free online connections for passengers at sea. If the passengers prefer to log on from their own notebooks, MTN provides Wi-Fi coverage on many ships as well. MTN’s network provides fast broadband connections, as well as necessary firewalls and security.

Horwitz noted that MTN offers special competitive bulk pricing for groups and charters with rates as low as 20 cents per minute for high-volume users.

“Cruising on the high seas today means remaining in touch with the world,” said Horwitz. “With MTN onboard, cruise passengers can be at the center of everything even in the middle of the ocean.”

MTN is showcasing its Internet Café and Wi-Fi services in Booth 1403 at Cruise3Sixty in Vancouver, British Columbia, this week.

Securityman June 3rd, 2010 05:04 PM

Kuki

Its a great idea My DW needs her nightly FIX of the Internet, any thing that saves money on a crusise is great.

Securityman

Zack Adams June 9th, 2010 10:59 PM

Wonder if only TA's will get it only??? I think it is a good idea!

robh July 10th, 2010 08:24 PM

Speed... Please

It is a great idea :) though we have to hope the Pursers office will credit your shipboard account correctly and most importantly they ensure the speeds are maintained beyond someone telling you that 56K is good or too many folks are accessing the service right now.

Time will tell....:rolleyes:

Donna July 11th, 2010 07:30 AM

I agree, sounds like a good idea, but just wonder about the speed...The connections onboard are anything but quick?

Manuel August 14th, 2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1302760)
I agree, sounds like a good idea, but just wonder about the speed...The connections onboard are anything but quick?

That is why you need plenty of time. LOL

TM

robh August 14th, 2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1309521)
That is why you need plenty of time. LOL

TM

As I posted prior, my experience and those of my friends show that ADSL / Cable speed is not a given on a regular basis.

So the discounted rates would have to be extremely attractive to cause one to purchase a large package.

Hopefully the service will improve over time.

Cheers

Manuel August 15th, 2010 01:32 AM

On my last cruise on Oasis OTS, the speed was not bad at all.

TM

robh August 15th, 2010 02:10 AM

Glad to hear.
Part of it might be the systems age on some of the ships, WiFi ability and proximity to what Satellite being used.

Zack Adams August 16th, 2010 10:36 PM

When I was on the Carnival Dream, there was a screen for prepaid and crew accounts. Wish I would have purchased the prepaid plan.

green_rd August 17th, 2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robh (Post 1302679)
It is a great idea :) though we have to hope the Pursers office will credit your shipboard account correctly and most importantly they ensure the speeds are maintained beyond someone telling you that 56K is good or too many folks are accessing the service right now.

Time will tell....:rolleyes:

I think MTN puts the charge on your account. My guess is the card has a discount code you enter when you first sign up for service. We had something like that in one of those coupon books during our last cruise.

I wonder if TAs will be able to offer the internet time as an attraction - it doesn't affect the cruise lines bottom line.