CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Value of Poster Art ($$$$$$$$$) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/374293-value-poster-art.html)

venice June 3rd, 2010 07:49 PM

Value of Poster Art ($$$$$$$$$)

I have attended the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival every year since I move here in 1998. I have purchased an official unsigned Festival poster every year. This year, the artist is Tony Bennett (who did a Louis Prima 100th birthday celebration painting) and because of the fame of the artist there was only a run of 12,500 total (they normally do 25,000 and have unsigned,signed,re-marque,c-marque). i decided to :)splurge:) and paid for a signed re-marque and since I learned how to do professional custom framing this spring, will frame it myself...I also consider it an investment...

I did alittle research and found out that if one is lucky enough to be in possession of a 1975 poster (1st year they produced them) and paid $5 is now worth $1925..my 98 unsigned (Dr. John) that I paid $49 is now worth $425 and my two favorite 2001 Louis Armstrong and 2006 Fats Domino unsigned is now worth $280/$375..the value is driven by the artist and whether the series sold out or not..Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino and Dr. John are alive and perform often in New Orleans, so maybe I'll be lucky and get them to sign the poster and then reframe it

who knew my hobby is such a good investment:):)

do any of my fellow cruisemates collect posters or are art collectors ?

Kuki June 3rd, 2010 07:58 PM

I collect CruiseMates posters :-D;)

skymaster June 3rd, 2010 08:33 PM

I AM a CruiseMates poster! rofl

"SKY"

venice June 3rd, 2010 09:03 PM

was not aware that you commission posters for your various CM cruises :confused::confused: who does the artwork ?

Lakers Fan June 3rd, 2010 09:11 PM

I have a small collection of movie posters plus a poster of Pearl Washington which he autographed and gave to me .

Kuki June 4th, 2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster (Post 1295671)
I AM a CruiseMates poster! rofl

"SKY"

Exactly what I was referring to Sky :)

venice June 4th, 2010 09:28 AM

Kuki...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I get it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (sorry, little slow on the uptake)

Henry...;-)Pearl;-) was a pleasure to watch when he played at Syracuse at the Carrier Dome..my favorite SU guards were Dave Bing and Dennis Duval

Donna June 4th, 2010 09:45 AM

Wow, just shows, you never know at the time. I've always felt, if its something you truly like, go for it, if it does increase in value, all the better..

Mike M June 4th, 2010 10:00 AM

I have 75 of these awesome Bradford Exchange, NASCAR, collector plates. The one with Dale Jr. kissing his mama is just darling. They're going to be worth a fortune someday!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

not all plates appreciate in value and many will lose value over time. :)

Take care,
Mike

Donna June 4th, 2010 10:13 AM

Wow Mike,
75 of them?? Do you have them hanging?? I just got a collector plate and needed it framed to match the other 3 I have, ended up doing 2 of them, because I can't get the same frame....$344 to do just 2, OY.

Mike M June 4th, 2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1295765)
Wow Mike,
75 of them?? Do you have them hanging?? I just got a collector plate and needed it framed to match the other 3 I have, ended up doing 2 of them, because I can't get the same frame....$344 to do just 2, OY.

Nah: I don't hang them. I just use them for dishes. Betty won't let me use the Melmac anymore since you can't clean the food out of the cracks.

Nothing makes a prettier table than NASCAR plates, Cool-Whip salad bowls and Flintstone jelly glasses. ;):D

Seriously: I don't collect NASCAR plates. I do have a John Wayne plate that my sister gave me, my Mom's "Beautiful Morning" plate and a couple of pewter, Currier and Ives, plates that my mom picked up in England. Betty also has a number of the Polish wooden plates that, I guess, are popular in Poland.

Take care,
Mike

Donna June 4th, 2010 10:33 AM

I'm thinking we now need some CM collector plates, LOL

Lakers Fan June 4th, 2010 11:56 AM

My favorite Syracuse players were Dave Bing and Vaughn Harper