Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default The Queen is coming!

In October, Cunard will debut the Queen Elizabeth..another tiara, in the trio of Queens, that surely will be a grand dame! I was lucky to tour the QE2, when she was in Boston, several years ago. It was really like walking on to a piece of history. There was a sense of low key grandeur, with small intimate rooms, and historical pictures and atifacts, that sent you back in time. I truly enjoyed my limited time on her.

The way you are assigned you dining room, by the level of cabin you booked, always struck me as a bit passe, and eletist to my mind, but it continues that way, as you can see by this article. I am just wondering if any Cruisemates who have sailed the Queens, feel this is a continuation of the Cunard tradition, or felt otherwise about this. The article also touches on the fabulosity of the dining and the food. Any thoughts on this?

6/7/10 - Cunard Reveals Queen Elizabeth Dining Features

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 7th, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Are they going back to the days when people who paid less for passage were not allowed in certain areas of the ship? I think I would be very uncomfortable with this. It sounds like snobbery to me.
Celebrity made me feel uncomfortable like that too. At least they did not go to the lengths of segregating those that paid less for their tickets.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Trip and Laura,

A lot of the folks who cruise Cunard do so because they want a taste of what cruising or transatlantic travel used to be "back when." Remember, cruising exploded in popularity after the remake of the movie Titanic. People wanted to experience luxury, the oppulence of a grand ocean liner, etc.

About the only vestige left of the "old days" such as during "The crossing" (meaning transatlantic travel), are not "classes" such as First and Second, but rather your dining areas being associated with the level (read price) of your cabin. In a fashion, it's the same thing as having classes but without appearing to be gauche`. There are, I believe, also a few areas of the ship to which only the highest paying passengers have access. If you think about it, it's similar to flying First Class as opposed to Coach. The seats are more comfortable, the food is considerably better and the environments are separated, all on the same aircraft.

Keep in mind, Cunard doesn't appeal to everyone and truth be told, doesn't want to. Many who cruise Cunard do so because of the above.

Actually it has to do less with class than it does with prestige. If one pays more they expect a more prestigious environment (along the same lines as suite guests get more amenities than those in an inside cabin). Cunard has chosen a more traditional way to highlight such "perks" in a manner that appeals to it's clientele group.

While it obviously works for Cunard, such an obvious system wouldn't work for the other mass market lines simply for the reasons you denote, Laura. Of course they do engage in similar ways, but in a less obtrusive manner. ;-)

Hope this serves as an explanation.

Todd
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Todd, I would have loved to try Cunard to see how the it was in a more elegant time. However I am single and cruising is expensive for me because of the single supplements. But no matter how you paint it it is still out and out snobbery in my eyes. It is an attempt to keep those of us with less from their atmosphere. As for Celebrity they are not quite so pointed about it by using blatant segregation. However the attitude is there just more subtle. Not a problem for me as I have decided that even if I could afford the high supplements these two lines are not going to ever get my money.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree that Cunard isn't for everyone. However, the actual number of places where Grill passengers aren't permitted are few so I doubt that you would even notice if you weren't looking for them. To me it's no different than some hotels that have private pool/beach areas for higher-paying guests.
I have only sailed Cunard once (transatlantic on QM II) and granted I was in Princess Grill, but I found the service throughout to be great.
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Admiral

I sailed the Cunard Ambassador from Manhattan to Bermuda ,there was nothing like it
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Admiral

I cruises on the Cunard Princess in 1988 and really enjoyed it
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Default The Queen is Coming

We sailed on the Queen Elizabeth 2 in 2004 on her last westbound crossing as an ocean liner. The old girl showed her age, but it was a memorable crossing, nevertheless, because it was part of her history. We were upgraded to a large cabin and meals in the Princess Grill. The food was wonderful as was the whole experience in spite of a very rough crossing to New York.

Actually, a couple on Laura's site is aboard the Cunard QM 2 right now headed to London, lucky ducks!

Judy