Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Default How did you discover Cruisemates ?

My TA suggested that I join and read as much as possible .I've recommended the site to 4 people ,2 joined but basically only lurk .I am urging them to be active posters
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Way back when, I used to visit another cruise site and heard about Cruisemates and I've been here ever since, I think over 10 years now?? Wow, how time flies....Cruisemates has grown to an amazing number since then, we have some of the best cruise articles on the net and very friendly posters that contribute and help others, its been and still is a great place to research your next cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

10 years ago, Anne Campbell asked a few people she knew from her previous site, to come help launch Cruisemates. We came, and became part of this wondefrul community of people with a passion to cruise. Hard to believe how the time has flown.

With people from all over the world becoming Cruismates, it's surely a global community, rich with information!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Admiral

I discovered Cruisemates while surfing. I had just completed hanging ten on my boogie board and upon reaching the beach discovered an unattended lap top computer open to this cruising website I hadn't previously run across. When I got closer, I saw this picture of a dude in a sailors cap named Dave the Wave surrounded by about a dozen bikini clad lasses and figured well, maybe there's some promise here!

Todd
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Very creative response ,Todd .
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Captain

I found Cruisemates while researching an Alaska cruise about 5 yrs ago. I am so glad I found it! This site has helped me with many questions and concerns. The best part is all the wonderful friends I have made here. Even though I have only actually met 2 of the members I feel as if I know them all. It is a great bunch of people and hope to someday meet more of them.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Oh my! I'm really not sure how I "discovered" Cruisemates! I think that I was reading the AOL cruise site (now long gone!), when someone directed me to the CM's site.

I've always been happy to be here !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

OK, it was 10 years ago...OMG, at first thought, I thought no way, not that long ago,

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Admiral

when I entered the Witness Protection Program, the United States Marshall who was assigned to me, suggested this site as part of my new identity

found it thru Anne Campbell
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Default How Did You Discover Cruisemates?

It was by accident! My DH was extremely ill, and I came on the internet "to soothe my soul," as it were. And there was CruiseMates. I came on each night, and did, indeed, bare all my anguish about a husband who regularly had seizures, some of them gran mal. It was a terrifying time. The people on this board were encouraging and sympathizing, especially Mike. I am so thankful for all the support they gave.

Now the days are happier. We went on the Cruise of the Century a couple o years ago so we could meet many of these wonderful people. In May 2011, we will go on our 17th cruise.

Happy sea days, everybody!

Judy and Keith
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It was late 1999 and I was researching my February 2000 cruise on Celebrity Mercury. Yes: I had it backward. I booked and then started researching. I found Cruisemates through a search engine.

I had gone to a few other boards and looked for information and on "another board" I asked the infamous "Can you bring your own alcohol on board?" question." The responses I received were that I was an alcoholic, cheap skate, didn't care about my fellow passengers and I should be ashamed of myself.

I never received an actual answer.

At that point I said to "heck" with them and came over here and asked the same question. Within a few minutes I received the answer to my question that: "Cruise line regulations do not allow you to bring your own liquor on board but you may bring a bottle of wine."

After that it was history. I was asking questions and getting answers. I hung around here so much that they put me to work.

My original screen name was M&M and I changed it to Mike M because people on Cruise Chat told me it was too hard to hit the & every time they wanted to address me.

It's been a fun 10+ years.

BTW: Cruisemates anniversary is August 23rd. The site opened on August 23, 1999. The first story was about the accident between the Norwegian Dream and a cargo ship in the English Channel. It also featured Kuki's first feature article: "Middle Aged and Sexy".

Here is a link to it. Cruise Opinion and Humor; Middle Aged and Sexy?.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Well.... CruiseMates discovered me
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Admiral

I discovered CruiseMates around the same time I got a computer and joined the 20th century!
At the time, I was researching cruising as my husband to-be had got me hooked, and we were planning our 2nd cruise. 16 cruises later, I'm still here, and so happy I found all these wonderful people who live here at this site.

donna
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Default Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
when I entered the Witness Protection Program, the United States Marshall who was assigned to me, suggested this site as part of my new identity

found it thru Anne Campbell
I was going to use the name Henry Hill but it was taken .
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Banned
Captain

Unlike Venice, I needed a cozy spot in the other Govt. safe haven: The Witless Protection Program.
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Henry..good one one of my alltime favorite movies
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default c

I followed the gang over with Anne, Kuki and the group from CC. Way back yonder.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM
First Mate

I honestly can't remember. (Must have been a search engine).
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Henry..good one one of my alltime favorite movies
I am going to send you a PM re that movie .I can't type it here
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme
Default Beenie weenie's fault

We were on a cruise with Beenie Weenie and she gave our CC group representing about 100 cabins coupon books from her TA. As our TA did nothing for us, I was pleasantly surprised to see the deals that Nancy had to offer, so we booked another Hawaii cruise.
Sorry to say that we were already booked on the EPIC and I won't be able to meet Chef Matt. I love Hell's Kitchen ...and all the other foodie shows. (Maybe someone could leave the door open and I could eavesdrop on his presentation....)
Marianne
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was researching a cruise. Spent a morning "googling" cruise sites. Found this one and here I am to stay.This site and the citizens in it have supported me and guided me to my present life.I sat in cold NH reading this site. It did not take me long to figure out that the people here were warm, sincere and friendly. I used to read the stories of CM's getting together for dinners in various places around Florida. I wanted to be part of the fun. I had always wanted to live in Florida and decided that I would eventually move here. I chose Lakeland as a place to live. I had lived there briefly as a young woman. When the time came I packed up my belongings and Miss Lilly my cat and off I went. I drove away from NH without looking back. In my preparations to move south a citizen of CM sent me detaild directions to drive from NH to Florida without having to drive through NY city, Washington or any large cities. I had great interstate driving every bit of the way. My tolls were minimal less than $2.00. Many CM's sent me notes of encouragement one offered me a place to stay until I got settled. I took my time after the first day which I drove 10 hours to Scranton PA. After that I limited my driving to around 300 miles a day. I would take a motel room and settle Miss Lilly in and then go out for dinner. I checked in to CM every evening to let them know I was ok. It was the most adventurous thing I ever did. I really enjoyed the trip south. I had done a lot of research before leaving NH. I had a line on a job, which I got. I also had researched places to live and found a place in less than a week. I am still in that complex 3 years later. Shortly after I got here Ray arranged a dinner and I got to meet even more CM's than I already had met. They were and remain an important part of my social life here in Florida. This site is special to me and the people here are the greatest cruisers on earth! Thanks CruiseMates for being here.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Cruznut2,

What a great story!
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
Cruznut2,

What a great story!
Thanks and it is all true. CruiseMates have done a lot for me over the years. I used to take care of a lady who is mentally retarded. Some cruiseMates sent her gifts. I took her on a CM group cruise and everyone went out of the way to make her cruise special. Just a great bunch of people here for sure.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Admiral

For me it was search for cruise forums and found CM. Joined Oct 2005 but was probably a lurker for a while before that. Have found so much good information on here.

I am one of the 2 that travelgalSue has met. It was a cruise this year in Jan. So nice to be able to meet someone from here. Hope to meet more!

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014