Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising to Hawaii from California

To those of you who have cruised from Calif to Hawaii .My wife wants to know if the water is rough with the possibility of causing seasickness . She spoke to a local travel agent who said yes .The agent was "pushing" a Pride of America cruise and I don't know if she was being truthful .
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Henry,

I have never been to California, much less the Pacific but I have read tons of stuff as regards crossing the Pacific and the Atlantic. I've also spoken with friends who have done both. All I can do is tell you what they have seen and what I have read.

Crossing either the Atlantic or Pacific IS NOT like routine sailings of the Caribbean. Both oceans are more turbulent for lack of a better word. From those whom I know who have crossed both oceans, I get the idea that those cruising the Pacific experience more motion. But keep in mind, both oceans are subject to storms, etc. I think I'm confident in saying however, that it's certainly not like traversing the Bay of Biscay or the southern Indian Ocean.

However, there are two mitigating factors. First of all the old adage about obtaining a stateroom that is on a low deck near the center of the ship makes a big difference. Secondly, the larger the ship, the smoother the ride.

I have also read that on Pacific and Atlantic crossings it is favorable to avoid the change of seasons such as Spring or Fall. In short, I understand that the best time to go would be during the summer but i could well be wrong.

I hope someone with experience answers this query but in any event, figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Todd
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

We crossed from Hawaii to Vancouver in May of 2006. We experienced no more turbulence than when were on any of our other cruises. Don't let the agent talk you in to something you really don't want. In fact, the worst seasickness we ever experienced was on a cruise to the Bahamas in Feb. of 2006. This was on Disney, and there was a storm coming that made the ship leave Castaway Cay 2 hours ahead of schedule. There's no way to plan for Mother Nature!
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
To those of you who have cruised from Calif to Hawaii .My wife wants to know if the water is rough with the possibility of causing seasickness . She spoke to a local travel agent who said yes .The agent was "pushing" a Pride of America cruise and I don't know if she was being truthful .
Henry43, we sailed from San Diego to Hawaii in September 2008 on the Radiance of the seas. The weather was never warm until you reached Hawaii. It did not seem rough but we are good sailors. The Pacific is big and can kick up some big waves, I would be more concerned about the weather than sea conditions. The islands are beautiful once you arrive, and it's nice to see all the islands. CruiseMate's is planning a Hawaii trip next February, something you should check out. Mike
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising to Hawaii from California

We went on a 15-day cruise to Hawaii leaving from San Diego this past January on HAL's Zaandam. It was very rough, rough enough to make most of us seasick and cause damage to the ship. I've been on 16 cruises and that was the only time I've been sick. Everything was fine once we got to the islands. They are, indeed, beautiful. The cruise back to San Diego was rough, too, but not as bad as S.D. to Hawaii.

I would strongly recommend that you not cruise on the Pride but would very much recommend you check out the CruiseMates cruise.

Judy
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've done this cruise several times, as well as several transatlantic crossings.

The fact is you can encounter every kind of seas. The fact is also that you might have seas as smooth as a bathtub. There is no "set rule", just as in the Caribbean or anywhere else.

Just like any other cruise, it's luck of the draw, not any norm that you can count on.

Simple rule... take bonine, then if the seas are a bit choppy you won't even notice it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Henry, one of our favorite cruise's was on Island Princess from LA to Hawaii and back . If you and Mrs. Henry like sea days this is the cruise for you! We didn't find any particulary "rough seas". There were some "up's and down's", but unless Mrs. Henry get's carsick or airsick, she'll be fine.

As Kuki said, you may find all kinds of seas!

If Mrs. Henry is susceptible to sea sickness (car sickness, air sickness), I'd suggest she talk to her doctor. Some people do well just taking ginger or eating green apples, some need the "behind the ear" patch. MOST people don't need anything at all! IMHO, some people get themselves so worked up about being seasick that they make themselves sick .

JMHO,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Default 2/26/11 cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike View Post
Henry43, we sailed from San Diego to Hawaii in September 2008 on the Radiance of the seas. The weather was never warm until you reached Hawaii. It did not seem rough but we are good sailors. The Pacific is big and can kick up some big waves, I would be more concerned about the weather than sea conditions. The islands are beautiful once you arrive, and it's nice to see all the islands. CruiseMate's is planning a Hawaii trip next February, something you should check out. Mike
We are considering the cruisemates cruise .I want to do it ,my wife is undecided .We cruised to Bermuda and nearly every passenger became ill .Wehen we cruised to the caribbean we were fine .
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We are considering the cruisemates cruise .I want to do it ,my wife is undecided .We cruised to Bermuda and nearly every passenger became ill .Wehen we cruised to the caribbean we were fine .
Henry.. I just cruised to Bermuda from NY a couple of weeks ago, and seas were very calm. So, as I said... you never know.

BTW if your TA is recommending Pride of America over Princess I wouldn't recommend using her anyway

Pride of America is the least popular ship in the NCL fleet. She does get customers simply because she's the only ship to sail strictly in Hawaiian waters.
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Henry.. I just cruised to Bermuda from NY a couple of weeks ago, and seas were very calm. So, as I said... you never know.

BTW if your TA is recommending Pride of America over Princess I wouldn't recommend using her anyway

Pride of America is the least popular ship in the NCL fleet. She does get customers simply because she's the only ship to sail strictly in Hawaiian waters.

Its not our TA ,my wife went to a storefront travel agency in our area .
I posted the following previously on another thread but did not get a response:
If you were talking to my wife and wanted to convince her to do the 2/26/11 cruise what would you tell her ?
Old June 13th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Its not our TA ,my wife went to a storefront travel agency in our area .
I posted the following previously on another thread but did not get a response:
If you were talking to my wife and wanted to convince her to do the 2/26/11 cruise what would you tell her ?
I'd tell her she's going to have the BEST Time, enjoying a bunch of sea days going and coming, and getting to see Hawaii (saving HOURS of flying time), with close to a 100 GREAT cruisemates on a wonderful ship!

If that doesn't do it, she really doesn't want to go
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admiral

I shall convey that to her
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Admiral

I just read on another thread that Princess beds are soft .That may be a problem because having just had back surgery I require a firm bed
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I just read on another thread that Princess beds are soft .That may be a problem because having just had back surgery I require a firm bed
Would one of my egg crate thingys help. I think all the cruise lines have these available is needed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Below is a picture of the egg crate thingy I'm talking about. I haven't cruised the San Diego to Hawaii, but I have cruise the Miami to Europe (transatlantic) we had very smooth seas. My Alaskan cruise had the roughest seas. My hubby and I are good saliors no seasickness problems.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Henry, both of us like a firm bed and have never had a problem with Princess' bed's. Usually, the people who ask for the egg crate's want a "softer" bed.

JMHO,

Sea Princess 2014
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme
Default Beds and seasickness

We were on the Golden Princess in April/may to Hawaii. If being seasick is a problem, get a mid ship cabin in the lower levels....less motion is felt there.

Beds were on the firm side.

The cruise was grrrrrreat!
We are going on the Feb group cruise, too.

Marianne
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Henry43,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Well, seasickness is a question of mind over matter.

If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter. ;-)

Seriously, the "Pacific" (literally, "peaceful") got that name because it was much more peaceful than the Atlantic when European explorers first discovered it....

I have done two vacation cruises on the open waters of the Pacific. The first was my last Princess cruise, which was to to "French Polynesia and Samoa" round trip from Papeete, French Polynesia, aboard MV Tahitian Princess (since renamed MV Ocean Princess) -- a very small ship that rode very smoothly. The second was a round trip cruise to Hawai'i from Los Angeles aboard GTS Infinity (since renamed GTS Celebrity Infinity). The seas were so calm that the ship apparently did not use the dynamic stabilizers during the transit -- a decision that resulted in a slight, but very smooth, roll that was only noticeable if one sat at the stern and looked at the horizon beyond the far side of the ship. Neither was in any way unsettling to any of the passengers onboard.

By contrast, the waters between the United States and Bermuda are notoriously one of the roughest areas of the ocean that cruise ships routinely transit. Cruises to Bermuda typically have the highest incidence of seasickness of any itinerary for this reason.

As others have pointed out, it's always possible that you may encounter a storm on any of the world's oceans. Nonetheless, I would not recommend that she stay home. She could bring a supply of Drammamine to take in case of need if that would reassure her.

Norm.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Admiral

She does not want to be in a stupor and therefore would not take any medication
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Default True ,but

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk&me View Post
We were on the Golden Princess in April/may to Hawaii. If being seasick is a problem, get a mid ship cabin in the lower levels....less motion is felt there.

Beds were on the firm side.

The cruise was grrrrrreat!
We are going on the Feb group cruise, too.

Marianne
My wife feels that if she cruises to Hawaii she would prefer a balcony
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme
Default Oh, Henry

I didn't mean an inside cabin, A cabin on the Caribe deck is lower on the ship and you would feel less ocean motion. Caribe also has a larger balcony than other decks A cabin closer to the middle of the ship also would have less motion than those fore and aft.
Hope this helps....now book it, Danno!
Marianne
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Admiral

I need an intervention ,perhaps all the CM members can come to my house ,
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
She does not want to be in a stupor and therefore would not take any medication
Bonine, non drowsy works wonders and there are no side effects. I always get a bottle of ginger root capsules from the health food store. All natural and ginger settles the stomach.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I need an intervention ,perhaps all the CM members can come to my house ,
I think you (or she) has too much information. Again, if your DW doesn't get carsick or airsick there's very little chance she'll be seasick. If she is, you can get pills from the Purser's Desk. It's really NOT that big of a deal, IMHO.

I also agree with Laura. Take a small amount of Bonine (meclazine) with you, just in case. It won't put DW in a "stupor".

I also agree with Kuki! Any TA that's "pushing" a particular cruise or cruise line is not someone you want to do business with .

Sea Princess 2014