Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Default What is the best way to make Corned beef?

Hi All,
I need some cooking advice. I have made Corned beef in the crockpot before. However, I'm not sure that is the best way to cook it. Does anyone have a good corned beef recipe. My last corned beef wasn't my favorite any tips would be excellent.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Admiral

Kat,

I don't know of any recipe per se` but we just simmer it in water until it's done and serve it with a sour cream horseradish sauce. We also use the spice packet included with the meat.

Actually, simmering or steaming is the way most of the Deli's in New York cook it.

Maybe someone else will have a more exotic recipe.

Todd
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Admiral

I don't have a recipe but there is nothing like corned beef in a NY deli
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I make it this way, simple....boiled dinner..potatoes, carrots and cabbage.1-2-3...I can't seem to find the bake it corned beef, I used to make, that was good, because baking it created a crusty top...

I have a brisket recipe, if you like that, you make it, put it n the oven and for hours and forget about it...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Admiral

I always use to boil it until my friend’s mother said to bake it in the oven. I now put it in a baking pan with enough water to cover the bottom (1/2 inch) cover it in foil and bake. I think it was 20 min to a pound. I then took off the foil the last ˝ hour and poured a mustard and brown sugar mix on top of it. It was the best CB I have had in a very long time. I know many people who boil the baby back ribs to, this takes out all the flavor. For ribs take of the thin membrane on the back of the ribs, season with lawrys season salt, garlic powder and coarse black pepper, I also push in a few peppercorns in to the meat. Place in baking dish add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan seal with foil and bake 350 for 1 ˝ hours. I then take them out and place them on another plate brush with sauce and grill them to brown them. Very good!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Trip, I had an Aunt who used to make brisket that way. She put it in a shallow pan, covered it tightly with aluminum foil and put it in I believe it was a 275 oven for something like three or four hours. That was really some good eatin.

Now, would someone tell me why a fresh brisket of beef costs half again more than a corned beef.

Todd
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I always use my crock pot for this. I use the packet that comes with the meat then add cloves and cinnamon and a tablespoon of white vinegar to the water. Comes out fork tender every time.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Admiral

i have always boiled mine, but might try baking it next time, sounds good
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Admiral

In the UK corned beef is something we get in a tin....
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Jon,

One can get tinned corned beef here as well (usually imported from Argentina) but there is absolutely no comparison between it and freshly made corned beef. If you have yet to ever try the freshly prepared kind and the opportunity arises, order it and you'll immediately understand.

Todd
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For my brisket...in a shallow baking tin, lay the brisket along with potatoes, carrots,onions, and your faves..spice it, then, add cranberry sauce. and chilli sauce..the secret to the softest meet is to add ginger ale..the effervesence makes the difference..bake it low and slow, forever

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Henry, no truer words could be said. Point your nose to a nice New York Jewish Deli. Let them make you a great cornbeef, pastrami, and chopped liver sandwhich. Leave the deli with your stomach full, but oh, that great food!
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Jon,

One can get tinned corned beef here as well (usually imported from Argentina) but there is absolutely no comparison between it and freshly made corned beef. If you have yet to ever try the freshly prepared kind and the opportunity arises, order it and you'll immediately understand.

Todd
I understand, but if you say corned beef in the UK that is what we know it as.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here is my tried and true corned beef recipe. My family likes it because they don't like "wet" meat.

1 (4 lb.) piece lean brisket of corned beef
Cloves
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup pineapple juice of sherry
Cover the beef with water and simmer about 3-4 hours. Drain and put into a baking dish. Score the fat and stick with cloves. Mix 2 tablespoons corned beef stock with sugar, mustard and pineapple juice or sherry. Pour over the beef. Bake in moderate over, 350 for about 45 minutes. Baste every 10 minutes. I bake it uncovered so that it gets nice and brown.

Enjoy

Leyla from Long Island
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Leyla sounds great just one question. What is pineapple juice of sherry. Some great tips in here. Thanks for sharing. Aerogirl my hubby makes the best ribs. He played around with recipes until he got it perfect. When he tried boiling the ribs they were horrible. He doesn't do that anymore. He agreed to make ribs for my B-day so I'm excited. I have a binder with all my favorite internet recipes. I call it my precious. Anyway this is the latest recipe to make it into my precious. This recipe was excellent and easy to make. Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs - 214534 - Recipezaar
Johnthedog I feel bad for you that the only corned beef you have had came from a tin.
Tinned Corned beef yuck.

Real Corned beef

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Default Deli's

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta View Post
Henry, no truer words could be said. Point your nose to a nice New York Jewish Deli. Let them make you a great cornbeef, pastrami, and chopped liver sandwhich. Leave the deli with your stomach full, but oh, that great food!

Second Ave Deli
Mill Basin Deli
Joe's Southshore
Jay and Lloyd

Unfortunately my town does not have a deli but last week a friend and I ventured to a great deli
Old June 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry - typo error. I meant to say pineapple juice OR sherry. Tried to correct it in my original post but it was too late. Need to do a better job of proof reading.

Leyla from Long Island
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Admiral

The real stuff certainly looks better, we have had it when we have visited the States, the other is a good standby for a quick sandwich.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Here's my recipe for the slow cooker (aka Crockpot):

8 medium new potatoes, partially peeled and halved
3 carrots, sliced
1 cup baby onions (frozen) or chopped onion
1 corned beef, about 3 pounds (throw away the spice package)
1/2 cup water, 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 head of cabbage, quartered

Put the veggies in the cooker and put the corned beef on top of them. Pour on the water and W. sauce. You can also add salt, pepper, garlic, etc., to taste. Cook on LOW for at least 8 hours (more is okay)

About 30 minutes before you're ready to serve, put in wedges of cabbage.

Serve with horseradish.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Admiral

I always boil mine with onions and celery, spices too, for a while. (Maybe an hour and a half or so depending on the thickness of the meat).

The second part I add whole carrots and potatoes for about 15-20 minutes or so until just beginning to show a tiny bit of tendernedd.

Then I add the cabbage to the same pot until tender. I check the meat throughout the last half hour or so. If it is tender I pull it and set it aside while the veggies get to the purrrrrrfect doneness. Then I add the meat back in for a minute or two prior to serving.

The juices are fabulous on the potatoes and carrots, etc., if you squash them up a bit.Serve the meat with your favorite mustard. I like plain old Goulden's but any mustard will do.

Be sure you use "Flats" and not "Points" when you buy your meat and look for pieces that are not toooo fatty. Costco actually has high quality corned beef but it is only there seasonally. Other times I buy it at Safeway.

Everybody I have served it to raves about my corned beef.
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

That canned corned beef looks as unapetizing as Spam or canned ham.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 17th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Default Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I make it this way, simple....boiled dinner..potatoes, carrots and cabbage.1-2-3...I can't seem to find the bake it corned beef, I used to make, that was good, because baking it created a crusty top...

I have a brisket recipe, if you like that, you make it, put it n the oven and for hours and forget about it...
TRIP...When I make brisket (whole), I wrap it in alum. foil in a roasting pan... but secret for me is... I MAKE TWO AT A TIME....Everybody has their own recipe.. I play it by ear..but there is always red wine and tomato sauce which tenderizes it.. there i another school that adds...non-diet Coke) My thoughts are that as long as the oven is on for several hours (depending on whether I start with them frozen or not.. usually frozen) I might as well make two... Then.. when they are cooled and fat taken off... I cut them in half, slice them, and line serving casseroles with alum,. foil, freeze and after they are frozen take the dishes out of the freezer.. and VOILA..usually four instant meals..all sliced with gravy etc. and you just know how much better brisket tastes days later..

As for corned beef I boil it with mustard in the water plus the additional spices.but at a low temperature..when its ready.. I take the corned beef out and add the carrots and potatoes to cook and at the end the cabbage.. yes, I agree mustard is a great condiment.. Henry.. there is nothing and I mean nothing like a NY corned beef sandwich
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Default sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
TRIP...When I make brisket (whole), I wrap it in alum. foil in a roasting pan... but secret for me is... I MAKE TWO AT A TIME....Everybody has their own recipe.. I play it by ear..but there is always red wine and tomato sauce which tenderizes it.. there i another school that adds...non-diet Coke) My thoughts are that as long as the oven is on for several hours (depending on whether I start with them frozen or not.. usually frozen) I might as well make two... Then.. when they are cooled and fat taken off... I cut them in half, slice them, and line serving casseroles with alum,. foil, freeze and after they are frozen take the dishes out of the freezer.. and VOILA..usually four instant meals..all sliced with gravy etc. and you just know how much better brisket tastes days later..

As for corned beef I boil it with mustard in the water plus the additional spices.but at a low temperature..when its ready.. I take the corned beef out and add the carrots and potatoes to cook and at the end the cabbage.. yes, I agree mustard is a great condiment.. Henry.. there is nothing and I mean nothing like a NY corned beef sandwich
With a glass of cream or celery soda
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Cool Diet Browns Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
With a glass of cream or celery soda
It may not be as good as NYC but at Zaftigs in Boston,it's the best we have
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Default Deli's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
It may not be as good as NYC but at Zaftigs in Boston,it's the best we have
I've heard about this restaurant from my cousins living in the Boston area .I am going to try it the next time I am there .