Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Default USA was robbed by the referee!@$!@!!!

Okay here is what happened in the USA V Slovenia game today. In the first half US played horrible and went down 2-0 at halftime. After the half it seems a different team was on the field. The US team scored two wonderful goals to bring it to 2-2 tie. Then a goal was scored off a free kick and disallowed. Was it offside; was there a foul? You take a look and tell me. Because I didn't see it. I have watched soccer since I was a kid. I was a youth player and referee I know the rules backwards and forwards. My eye is very good at catching things. FIFA should review this, because this called could lead to the USA team not advancing to the next round.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; June 18th, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Kat,

I know absolutely nothing about soccer, but IF:

That first white line away from the net is the "off sides" line or whatever and...

IF a player has not crossed that line at the time the ball was kicked,
there was no offsides.

If I am right as to the definitions above, it appears that the first person to cross that line was dressed in white.

Now again, I may be completely off base but anyway, that's what I saw.

Todd
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I should explain offside rule. The offside rule now only applies to the active player. In this case that would be the player who scored the goal.

The rule is a player is offside if he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

In the case of this play the active player was even with the defensive player and the goalkeeper was on the goal line. Meaning he was not nearer to the goal line and the player was on sides. The rule use to include inactive players in offside position that was a confusing mess so it was changed. Here is the thing the referee hasn't explained why he disallowed the goal. So it is not know if he called a foul or if he saw an offside. I think it should be required to explain what the call was.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Looks like the other video was removed for copyright issues. This is an ESPN video with full highlights of the game including the disallowed goal.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Yes, we were robbed, but there is nothing we can do about it except to complain. It is something that happens once in a while in all sports.

If the US wins their next game they can still advance.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Admiral

I agree at this point complaining doesn't change anything. I just think in major games like these I think the referee should be required to explain why the goal was disallowed. I also think that they should take a page for America football and allow the coaches 2 challenges. The coaches can throw the flag and the referee can review the play in slow motion to see if a mistake was made. It's is just my opinion.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Kat...what did we say to you about applying good common logic to a sports situation:eek::eek::eek: it's part of the game to debate stuff like that all the time..there is a reason why MLB commissioner did not reverse the blown call of the last out of the perfect game where even the umpire admitted he blew the call

the only reason you want instant replay is so you can see those good looking men in slow motion, again and again and again ::...wait a minute, we could watch the Spanish goal keeper's girlfriend in the stands again and again..hmmmm let me think about your original idea again ::
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Admiral

On the other side I think American football should have promotion/relegation system. The teams would be divided into Division one and Division two teams. The lower performing teams would be relegated from Division one to Divison two teams. They do this in the English league. This is a good thing because the bad teams would still be trying at the end of the season to avoid relegation.

The way promotion/relegation works is simple: The three top teams in the First Division are "promoted" to the Premiership. To balance the number of teams out, the last three Premiership teams are "relegated" to the First Division. The system works for the lower divisions as well.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I didn't see a foul on the play. The ref blew the call.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

We was robbed!!!! But at least that great powerhouse, England played to a scoreless tie with Algeria! We're still in the driver's seat in our group!
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Sorry, can't call England a powerhouse after that disgusting show of nothing yesterday. For them to advance they have to win their next game and score lots of goals.
Plenty of upsets in this world cup so far
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Banned
Captain

Hey katlady....

Maybe this is just the Universe's way of evening things out vis-a-vis that other "goal" in the first game against England.

Shoulda lost that one.

Kizmet. Gets ya every time.
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Admiral

England lost to the United States because of a player's error. That is how games are supposed to be won and lost.

At least as evinced by the recent botched call in this country at a baseball game where the official stood up and profusely apologized, I don't believe the soccer official involved in this issue, at least as of the last time I heard or read anything, has yet to even state the rule that was allegedly broken!!

Hmmmmm......very strange indeed.

TDH
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Banned
Captain

"England lost to the United States "???

On which planet did this occur?
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Admiral

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that on this planet the tie was considered a loss for England given that it is a powerhouse in soccer.

I guess I should have said "failure to block the shot" but I thought that was understood. I didn't mean they had lost the "game."

Todd
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Admiral

with what's going on in the Gulf these days, anything to do with England & the USA becomes magnified and it becomes more then a game

actually i have the game on, turn the sound up and go do something else..everytime i walk away, a goal is scored..if i am watching, nothing happens

it is interesting to watch the national pride that is displayed in the stands and allows a country of a small population to compete against a larger population on a level playing field
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I'm sorry. I was under the impression that on this planet the tie was considered a loss for England given that it is a powerhouse in soccer.

I guess I should have said "failure to block the shot" but I thought that was understood. I didn't mean they had lost the "game."

Todd
The English goalie (Robert Green) messed up in the USA game. I agree with you on that. I however disagree that England is a powerhouse in soccer. The top soccer teams in the world are Germany, Brazil, and Italy. The English Premiere league has such good teams because most of the players are not English. That last time the English national team won a World Cup was 1966 before I was born. I think Argentina could be added to my list of top soccer teams. They won the cup in 1986 with Maradona as the stand out striker. He is now Coach Maradona and Argentina is doing well this year. Saying England is a powerhouse in soccer is like saying the USA is a powerhouse in soccer. But sorry Captain Tennille no matter how you slice it the goal USA scored was Robert Green's mistake and had nothing to do with the referee. You could try blaming the ball that is what everyone else is doing.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:14 AM
Banned
Captain

Katlady...

I just ventured to propose that an imbalance or rupture in the fabric of the universal quantum mechanics of competitive sport had occurred. Forces far beyond our control or comprehension have restored equilibrium in their own mysterious ways... that is all.
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tennille View Post
Katlady...

I just ventured to propose that an imbalance or rupture in the fabric of the universal quantum mechanics of competitive sport had occurred. Forces far beyond our control or comprehension have restored equilibrium in their own mysterious ways... that is all.
I don't see it USA has beaten England before and this was only a tie. Mexico beating France and then the French team freaking out with sending home the striker, refusing not to practice, and possibly not playing the final game in their group. Was much more surprising then England choking at the World Cup.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:52 AM
Admiral

New Zealand beat Mexico in 1981!!!!

England is the bastion of soccer as I have followed this sport for the last 30 plus years.

Go you Gunners!!!!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:39 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennc View Post
Sorry, can't call England a powerhouse after that disgusting show of nothing yesterday. For them to advance they have to win their next game and score lots of goals.
Plenty of upsets in this world cup so far
I guess I thought the sarcasm in my post was obvious. Sorry, my bad!!!!! England sucks this time around!

GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
New Zealand beat Mexico in 1981!!!!

England is the bastion of soccer as I have followed this sport for the last 30 plus years.

Go you Gunners!!!!
England is the bastion of soccer because of the England Premiere League. The premiere league has mostly international players with some English players mixed in. Expecting the English National team to be as good as the Premiere League will leave you disappointed. La Liga is better anyway. But again La Liga is great because the mix of the best international players in the world. Most of the great players on the Brasilian National Team play for club teams in Spain, England, Germany, or Italy. The same is true of the Argentina National team Messi plays in La Liga. That means the club play is at a higher level then the National teams for these country. Probably why none of these teams has performed as well as expected this year. Spain lost to Switzerland, England tied the US and Algeria, Germany lost to Serbia (Close's red card was a referee error), and Italy tied New Zealand (New Zealand played really well). I have been watching soccer since I was a kid. I refused to say how many years it has been.

F.C. Barcelona is my team Favorite La Liga team. Some players are Lionel Messi (Argentina); Dani Alves (Brasil); ╔ric Abidal (France); Thierry Henry (France), and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden). Shoot Carles Puyol is one of the few Spanish players on this Spanish club team. Arsenal can have Henry back Barca doesn't need him. BTW Arsenal's top goalscorer is Cesc FÓbregas plays for the Spanish National team. Here are links to the team list for Brasil and Argentina most of these players don't play club ball at home. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...squadlist.html
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/t...squadlist.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; June 21st, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Kat..exactly how does watching world cup contribute to your rehab ::..does your husband know you watch it::

I understand about the club concept..didn't the Team USA goalie play for an English club team /
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Banned
Captain

You're right Katlady... the Universe is completely out of whack. And BP is in charge of everything. Don't panic. All is well.:-)
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Kat..exactly how does watching world cup contribute to your rehab ::..does your husband know you watch it::

I understand about the club concept..didn't the Team USA goalie play for an English club team /
Watching Portugal beat North Korea 7-0 is very good for my rehab. My mom and dad stopped by to watch the game we all enjoyed it very much. Just for the record Cristiano Ronaldo is from Madeira Island born in Funchal. He had my favorite goal of the match. Tim Howard the USA Goal Keeper plays in the English Premiere League for Everton. Let's go to the video of Portugal VS. North Korea.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Portugal 7--- North Korea 0

It certainly makes my day !

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Despite unfair referees we made it to the second round.

I certainly enjoyed today's game.

GO USA

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011