Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Sensational Saturday

Hi Kids,
So far, the sun is shining, but, I think an overcast day is on tap. I am off to work, my last day till July 10th...closed for vacation. The town I work in, becomes basically, a ghost town, as people head to their vaction homes around New England...Lucky them!

So a day of merchandising, and, hopefully a busy day, then, home again, home again jiggity jig....

Good thoughts to all, and make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Morning Trip, and all to follow...
It really is a sensational Saturday here, the sun is shining and it's already 20C which is almost 70F. I'm sure it hit more than that yesterday, another beautiful day!
We explored around the bottom half of Cape Breton yesterday, saw some pretty scenery and visited the Celtic Music Centre where there was a Ceildh going on live in the lunchroom! (A Ceildh, pronounced Kay-lee) is live musical performance of welcome, involving fiddles, foot stomping and sometimes fancy footwork!)
We brought the dog with us, and she got to go to the beach for a run, and she also enjoyed the scenery from the car window. We are lucky she is a very good traveler.
It's fun exploring in your own area, always something new to see and learn!

Today I think we'll stay closer to home, there's always weeding and trimming to do. Might head out to the pub tonight. No Trivia this week, but there's always friendly people to talk with and a nice view over the harbour.
Wishing everyone a great weekend!

donna
Old June 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Good morning Trip, Rollerdonna and all who follow.

Yet another hot one on tap for today here in upper East Tennessee.

"Framer Brown" got his acre mowed yesterday and am glad that's out of the way. Today will be spent helping Fran to prepare for tomorrow's family gathering.

Hope everyone has a truly fantastic Saturday!

Prayers and Blessings continue.

Todd
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
First Mate

Default One of the best beach in Canada

RD have you been looking to the Melmerby Beach, "The Merb " as called by locals?The warmest waters in Canada.If you go,tell us about it.
Have a nice weekend.
MTL
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Good morning Trip, Rollerdonna, Todd, and MTL. It is already 83 degrees outside in Virginia Beach. Right now, I am running washes and packing since we are leaving for Palm Springs on Friday; I never wait til the last minute because, knowing me, I will forget something! I am still very rundown with the effects of bronchitis so I am just doing what I have to do to get through the day. May all my fellow cruisemates have a great weekend!
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Beyond sensational here:

Blue skies, high seventies expected, 2 1/2 hr. drive up I-5 to Seattle, a nice evening in Seattle with dinner at "The Pink Door,"and then Sailaway from Seattle tomorrow on the Sapphire Princess. This is when living in the northwest is a bonus!An easy cruise with no flight required. YAHOO!

Old June 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Good morning from 90 degree and sunny NY ,a beautiful day .However ,I found out last night that HAL has altered the cruise I am taking in December to the Panama Canal .They will be docking in Colon instead of Cristobal because of crime issues . This has not been posted on the HAL website .I received an e-mail last night from one of the CM people also taking this cruise about the change and the only reason he knows is because HAL cancelled his Cristobal shore excursion .
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

Like Todd I finally got my lawn mowed. This goes on record as the highest the grass has ever grown. It took three passes to get it right. The first pass I had a the mower set as high as it would go. The second pass was just pulling the sweeper and picking up the clippings and the last pass was a regular mowing. Now it looks like a golf course. With 1.5 acres it was like doing 4.5 acres of mowing. It still have about an hours worth of trimming to do but I can do that over the course of the next few days. Then it will be time to mow again.

We had a scare last night. The kids were riding their bikes on the driveway and one lone black cloud came over the house. All of a sudden a crack of lightening smacked down about 100 yds.. from the end of the driveway. The kids dropped their bikes and ran, scared to death, to the house. I had two kids to console. They had never seen lightening so close and had never heard the sizzle and that loud of a crack of thunder. My granddaughter thought the lightening had hit her because she felt the air from the thunderclap. I had to tell her that if she had been hit she wouldn't be telling me about it. An hour later there was a big thunderstorm with hail, wind and lightening. The kids both said: "I'm glad we're inside now."

Today is a graduation party in the afternoon. It is a 1.5 hour drive for a three hour party so we'll spend as much time in the car as we will at the party. Oh well: You gotta do "The Uncle" thing.

I hope everyone has a great day and that the weekend is a fun one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Default Sensational Saturday

Good morning, everybody. It's overcast here, too, and a good thing, because that keeps the heat down. The weather mavens predict lovely weather for the next few days, though.

Keith overslept this morning and took off for Riverside like that flash of lightning Mike talked about.

We had a nice lunch with Frank yesterday. The consensus from all three of us was that it was the best carrot cake we'd ever had. Frank will have attended a couple of grandchildren's graduations. He flies back to Arkansas on Monday.

After a quick read of the Los Angeles Times, I will do some light housework and then find something more fun to do.

Judy
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Well I have been a little MIA lately. Have a lot on my mind and my heart. Once more Cancer is the word of the week. Frustrating, as I wish the word of the week were "cure" but as yet, that is not the case but I believe someday cancer will be like polio, and a thing of the past for most of the civilized world.

My Mother in law is again fighting the dread disease, it seems the Myeloma is once more attacking her spine. I have been in touch with the surgeon's nurse and hospital in Toronto. She is scheduled to be seen July 14th at the hospital in Toronto by the surgeon, which in and of itself is a miracle since it usually takes much longer than that to get in to see him, not to mention that he is on vacation until July5th. She will have blood drawn next week to determine if her blood levels echo the symptoms in her body, but needless to say it is clear that some changes need to be made in her treatment as the current protocol is no longer effective. She had a good run and she was the longest running patient to be able to continue this medication within the oncology practice she sees, so we knew it was a matter of time before a change needed to be made. Right now, I am praying that once she makes it to Toronto for this appointment, that they will keep her there until she can have surgery to fix whatever is broken in her spine (or elsewhere) and that her suffering will be relieved quickly. The thought of her facing that drive back home with her back in such a fragile state is unbearable to me.

An update on my neighbor, it is not really the good news we had hoped for. The Doctor was confident they removed all the breast cancer and that was terrific. Unfortunately, the pathologist report revealed that she has a second different kind of cancer, which is Lymphoma (same disease as Todd's Fran) we are not yet certain which variety of Lymphoma she has and she doesn't have another appointment scheduled until July 13th, but she is going to call Monday to see if she can find out sooner what the results are, since not knowing is driving her crazy.

It is an odd sense of deja vu, that both MIL and my neighbor went into the hospital to be treated for breast cancer and came out with a diagnosis for a second and unrelated blood cancer. It is very odd indeed. The similarities do not end there. They are both very strong, motivated fighters. So I think they are going to give cancer a run for the money!

Been praying for Judy hoping her foot pain resolves and she just needs looser shoes .

Praying that Fran responds well to her next treatment and that Todd can make his next trip to care for his own health as well.

Just so many folks out there right now fighting the good fight and hurting right now. Prayers are going out for all of you wounded warriors.

On a bright note, going in a little while to attend d/d's first piano recital, I know she'll do well, and I have her hair all fixed up, she looks like a little princess, so cute!

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Admiral

To MTL, yes, we have been to Melberby Beach, but only last October! We will definitely make another trip now that summer is here! It is a beautiful spot!

donna
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Admiral

B/W,

So very sorry to hear about your MIL and your neighbor. Keep in mind, Lymphoma is treatable. Your neighbor already is on the prayer list and I've just added your MIL. Gosh, it's so hard to accept this insidious and devastating disease.

Todd