Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Default A Short Poem (To Make You Think) !!!

Sunday Brunch by Reuben Jackson

"and where
do your parents
summer?
she asked
him

the front porch
he replied"

when I read this I thought about my parents who could never afford to take a family vacation and about how lucky we are to be able to vacation in the form of a cruise and to include our children and friends

cruising is a gift...I am reminded of this when I take someone who has never cruised before on their first one
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Amen Venice, Amen.

donna
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Every generation has the opportunity to do things that the prior was not able to do for econimic reasons ,for the most part
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Henry..good point and it's usually because of the sacrifices of our parents that our children are able to benefit

my parents worked 2 to 3 jobs each, and made sure each of their sons understood the work ethic and the value of an education and the duty of military service..leisure time or vacation was not in our vocabulary..my Dad died young and I was able to send my Mom on several cruises while her health allowed her to travel..her first cruise was on HAL Rotterdam to Alaska with my friend's Mom..she felt guilty because my Dad always told her when they retire he was going to take her to Alaska

I never took a vacation until I was 40 and it was a cruise..did not know how to relax on a cruise (I do now)..took my son on his first cruise when he was 10..he took his son (my grandson) on his first cruise Disney at age 5

if my parents had not sacrificed for their children, these things might not have happen

to many of my non cruising friends they think cruising is a waste of money and time and in the case of my passion for smooth jazz cruises, elitist..i learned the hard way that for my physical and mental health, a cruise is an integral part of my DNA

that's why the simple poem, struck a chord with me and I thought I would share it with my fellow cruisemates on this 4th of July weekend
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

A small poem, but yet big in meaning.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

My parents took 2 vacations ,when I was 5 we spent 2 weeks in the Catskills .I can't recall the specific town.When I was 9 we were in Parksville for 2 weeks . Neither one ever drove a car ,I assume we went by bus .
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Admiral

I like your poem Venice.

My parents never were able to take areal vacation, but they had the courage to come to the US when I was 11 years old. That is the reason I have a better life today.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its funny, how you do remember your childhood travels, however grand or not so grand, they are wonderful memories...

Thanks for the poem Venice!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Okay Donna, Not so quick with the wonderful memories.

It must have been sometime in the early 60's. I was in grade school, and my brother was about 3 maybe 4.

We were lucky to be able to go on vacations, but it was ALWAYS to Florida. There were no Disney stuff, and as far as my dad was concerned, no hotels, or motels either. We always rented one of those cottages near the beach.

The car didn't have air conditioning, so we would always leave before sun up.

Now you have to understand that both of my parents communicated by yelling at each other. In fact for years I thought they were both hard of hearing, because they were always telling each other that the other never listened.

This year was of course another long trip to Florida, but there was a problem. There was a hurricane coming. My dad watched the weather, and declared that we would be just fine. It was in the gulf, and we would be in Jacksonville.

Okay, we leave Atlanta at o'dark thirty, and head south. There were no interstates back then so it was hwys and very small southern towns.

We get almost half way and my dad realizes that my mom is not talking, and it worries him. He made the huge mistake of asking what was wrong.

She does not want to go to Florida. She wants to go to the mountains. They start to yell.

He pulls to the side of the road, and they DISCUSS IT. He says okay fine, and he turns us around. We get back to south Atlanta, and she says "No I don't want to go if you will be upset" so we turn around, again.

We do this turn around 4 more times, going the same way each time. By now it is getting lunch time, and my dear brother pops up and points out the BBQ place we have passed for the last 3 hours, and wants to stop.

We have lunch and then it is decided that the cottage has already been rented, so we will in fact go on to Florida. Yea!!!

Fast forward to the morning after we get there. We awake to the knowledge that the beaches are closed, and there is no pool, and it is raining. Not just a little rain, but buckets of rain, because yes the cottage leaks. It was actually a good thing, because I don't think they had ever yelled about buckets all over the place.

If I heard it once, I heard it a thousand times. "I'll bet it isn't raining in the mountains."

The next morning I woke to my mother telling us to get under the bed. It seems the hurricane might be on the gulf side, but it had sent a tornado to our side.

Of course this was also my dad's fault, according to my mom, and yes they could yell above the noise of what sounded like train going over our heads.

So you have two kids under the bed. A grown man under the table, and my mom under the other table, and they are yelling, and my brother is saying toot toot at the top of his lungs.

For the rest of the time I lived at home, we continued to go to Florida, but after I moved out, they did make the trip to the mountains, and guess what?

IT RAINED
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh Luanne,
What a story, thanks for sharing that one...

Message Boards Moderator