Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Good Thurs Morning, & I'm whining

Hi Kids,
It's 4:45 am, and I think I've slept all of 10 minutes...how much do I hate this? %$^%&%e^$%^##....that much!

The week goes on, hot as hades, but showers are coming, or so they say. I have a Drs, appt today, to check on my shortness of breath, and that's all I am going to zone in on...not doing a thing, except take a nap Oh, and that includes cooking...a bowl of cereal,and I am good

I hope all you sleepers wake up chirpy, I'll be dragging my tush around.....

Make it a good one, I'm gonna try

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Trip I hate not being able to sleep. The heat isn't bothering me too much yet, but I can definitely feel it when the ozone level goes above a certain level. It makes breathing a chore.

Please bear with me, I going to explain all the details of the implant I am considering, if you're not interested, you can skip it and go on to the next post. I just have to talk to somebody about it .

As I mentioned yesterday and probably the day before, I am so excited I can hardly stand it. Today is the day of my appointment with the foot surgeon. I am so glad they could get me in quickly because I don't think I could have handled the anticipation. They called me and asked if I could come in 15 minutes earlier and of course I said yes! Any adult who has suffered chronic pain in the feet, legs, hips etc... caused by flexible flat feet, and all the related afflictions like Plantar Fasciitis and bone spurs will completely understand why I am so excited. previously aside from orthotics and PT, the only cure was invasive radical surgery, that held the potential to solve as many problems as it created and involved over a year to recover per foot and 4 months of that non-weight bearing and a huge loss in range of motion.

So here comes the implant I found. Basically below the ankle there should be a space called the sinus tarsi. When you look at the xray of a normal foot, you can clearly see this sinus opening where the foot and ankle bones meet forming a nice little 3 sided pyramid. When you look at my xrays there is no pyramid, there is no sinus tarsi opening, because the bones have basically collapsed upon each other filling that void. As a result the ankles pronate inward the arch does not exist, ankles, knees and hips roll inward and the end result is lots of pain.

The implant is pretty nifty. It acts as a shear pin that holds open the sinus tarsi and restores the pyramid of normal bone structure. It looks like a bolt one might find in a hardware store with a cone shaped end made from titanium. Best part is that it can be installed in a Dr. office or outpatient surgery center, requires very little anesthesia, either a local or twilight sleep. It does not alter anything permanently and should the patient find it intolerable, it can be removed and it is 100% reversible. I am astounded at the number of podiatrist that have had this implant installed themselves, in their own feet, including the fellow who invented it. Most people are back on their feet in a week or two, though it can take 6 mos. to a year to completely heal and receive the full benefit of the implant. The prospect of being pain free and mobile appeals to me greatly!

Not much else on the go today aside from d/d's softball award banquet tonight. I'm not sure I will be back in time, but d/h is in Terre Haute this morning taking an exam and will be working from home the rest of the day. He will take her and give me a full report on the festivities. Hopefully I will get back in time for it.

Hope you all have a great day!!! Looks forward to coming back tomorrow with positive reports!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Morning Mates, I'm a little slow this morning!
Trip, sorry you couldn't sleep - I had a night like that the night before last and it is SO frustrating! Good luck with the Dr. appointment....

Beenie, that procedure sounds like the answer to your prayers! I have the opposite problem, I have a very high arch that needs orthotics to support it, but I still get pain from plantar's fascitis!
If you're comfortable with the doctor's explanation, then I say go for it!

Well, we are experiencing our first heat wave here in Pictou County, and it is not pretty without air conditioning!
It hit 30C yesterday + the humidex which put it somewhere in the 90's F.

I spent the day with some ladies from the pool on a girl's day out.
We took the ferry over to PEI (about a 75 min. journey) and drove to Charlottetown to see the Buddy Holly Story. It was a FANTASTIC show filled with fun and great music and we thoroughly enjoyed it!
We also enjoyed a nice lunch out on a terrace under an umbrella before it got too hot to bear.
While waiting for the show, we walked over to the port area in Charlottetown and I was thrilled to see the Maasdam in port!
The Maasdam was our honeymoon ship, so it has sentimental value....
The Charlottetown port is so pretty, with it's yachts and fishing boats and shops and restaurants. I took lots of pictures, I will get them up soon!

Today will not be so exciting, just swim class then lay low and try to deal with the heat!

donna
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Good morning from HHH New York.My body is so sore from the intensified PT that began yesterday .
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! I made it home from Europe. What was a 4 night trip felt like 10. Weird flying east to west. I gof off the ship 8 AM the morning of July, traveled all day, got home at 8 PM.
12 hrs. doesn't seem bad really, does it? Except you have to add in the time zone changes, so make that 20 hrs.

Arrived home to find my mother had gone to ER an hour prior, so stopped there to check what was doing with her. Thankfully, by 2 AM she got the all clear, and went home.

Witht he help of "modern medicine" I did manage to get sleep last night, so hopefull back on track some time today with jet lag recovery.

Gorgeous day, so I think I'm going to try golfing.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Banned
Captain

Trip WHINING?

The end of the world is truly nigh.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Beenie Weenie, am so very glad that it now appears your chronic foot condition will be resolved soon and at a minimum of physical discomfort to boot! (Hmmm.....did I intend that pun?).

Also hope your MIL and brother are doing better.

RD and Trip, as I alluded to yesterday, we could not exist without air conditioning, especially in the bedroom. Maybe you could bite the bullet R/D, and purchase a couple of window units. You can always remove them in the Fall.

Henry, I do so hope that the "gain is worth the pain."

I know most of us would give our right arm to cruise as much as do you Kuki but I'm sure the travel, especially overseas much of the time, kinda' takes a bit of the polish off. That and having to play reporter asking pointed questions and hitting low spots in your review that I'm sure are remembered. Although I write a weekly newspaper column, it is mostly a positive and humorous thing. I will say I also take the heat from certain quarters when I have to showcase a negative a situation, etc. When I must, I try and remain as diplomatic aqnd unconfrontational as possible (something I don't always do on the boards). I finally absorbed the adage that when it's time to dispense some "medicine" it goes down better if one adds a little honey).

Hope everyone has a grand (and a bit more comfortable Thursday. Prayers continue for all those on the list (and of course for any who may be ailing) as well as for Blessings upon all.

Todd
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

It's a beautiful day here in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes". Clear, warm and low humidity.

I did mow lawn yesterday but shortly after that my brain decided to take a vacation so the rest of the day was shot. I too ended up with my sleep pattern messed up. Trip: If I knew you were awake I'd have called you and we could have had a chin wag.

I have no idea what is on the agenda for today. My son will come over and use my Suburban to pick up an engine for his car. He asked me yesterday if he could use it. He took advantage of my condition because I didn't remember it until Betty mentioned it when she got home. He better make sure he puts down a couple of tarps and doesn't get grease and oil on my carpet or the results will be ugly. I don't want to outlive my child.

Kuki: I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Four days is just too short for that long of a trip.

BW: I hope the implants are the answer to your problem.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Thursday.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Default Good Thursday Morning and I'm Whining

A late good morning from SoCal where it is, again, overcast. That's not a complaint, either. I felt like whining yesterday afternoon. At 4:56 p.m., we had a 5.4 earthquake. Keith had just gone to the supermarket, so he didn't feel it. There were two jolts and then a rolling motion. Many aftershocks, but we didn't feel them. I watched the chandelier swing and sway for about 20 minutes.

BW, I am glad that you have found what looks to be a positive solution. I, too, have high arches, but that's not what causes my problem. All the bones (in my right foot) which extend to the toes are bent and turn inward. That, plus bunions, creates a lot of pain. I'm hoping that the MRI does NOT show that I, too, need surgery. As Keith said, that probably would create more problems rather than solving the current ones.

Not a big day here. Hopefully, the earth will not move and neither will the sofa.

Judy