Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
First Mate

Default Clean Air Rules for North America Adopted ( CBC.CA )

Updated July 10, 2010 .... Clean Air Rules for North America Adopted

Quote: By CBC News, cbc.ca, Updated: July 10, 2010 12:26 PM

Clean-air rules spark cruise boycott threat

New emission controls planned for Canada's coasts may threaten the country's multi-million-dollar cruise ship industry.
The level of sulphur permitted in fuel used within 200 nautical miles of land is going to be lowered, which would raise the costs of operating in Canadian waters.
The U.S. is making similar changes after a joint agreement reached with Canada in March.
See below link.
Clean-air rules spark cruise boycott threat - *News - MSN CA

end of quote: --------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers
RobBar's Cruising

Rob
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Passenger

I saw a report on this last week. I am surprised how little discussion there has been on the various cruise sites I visit. Cruiselines are going to have to make modifications to store two different fuels for burning at different times.

Wilbur
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Default Various fuel methods

Wilbur,

Actually this has been in discussion for a few years certainly in the Alaska and Pacific West Coast Market under the ' Northwest Ports Clean Air Strategy' protocols.

Per the UK boards I belong to, this is in place around the British Isles today and some ships take on this fuel outside the zone.

A lot of the newer ships use Gas Turbines / Electric and others Low Sulfur oil / Electric while some ports now are able to hook the ship up while in port to the local electrical grid. This was a joint venture with major cruise lines and the Port Authority and the Electrical Hydro providers.

Originally this all started because of emissions while in port also some ships have what is called scrubbers.

My UK board also reported a similar report a few days ago from the Globe and Mail.
Clean Fuel Rules May Prompt FO to Bypass Canada - Cruises.co.uk - SHOWTHREAD

The large cruise companies will adjust, are aware. I cannot see them reducing the market especially as the larger and new ships allow an economy of scale which exists per ship per passenger.
Much like full passenger planes or newer ones like A380

Cheers :-):-)
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Admiral

Lower emissions is a good thing, and after moaning and groaning the cruiselines will do what they have to do.
Remember when the car manufacturers complained about un-leaded gasoline?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Manuel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Lower emissions is a good thing, and after moaning and groaning the cruiselines will do what they have to do.
Remember when the car manufacturers complained about un-leaded gasoline?
I remember a drop of about 10% to 20% in the fuel economy of comparable cars from 1970 to 1975, as the initial fuel economy standards took effect here in the States. The problem, quite simply, is that the technology to make more efficient engines was not quite ready, so the automobile manufacturers had to slap on costly band-aid solutions to meet the clean air requirements. In the end, less aggressive implementation of the original clean air standards would have allowed manufacturers to remain focused on more efficient engines that would have run cleaner while providing better fuel economy. The result forced a slowdonw

Are the latest mandates appropriate or too aggressive? Here in the States, our present administration simply does not care about the cost of its agenda. Thus, I don't know the details of the new requirements, but I would bet on the side of too aggressive.

Norm.
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM
First Mate

Mmmm.. Well in our part of the world this has been an ongoing discussion between two countries and States/ Province for a few years with tourist bureaus / health / electrical providers and cruise companies.

Perhaps it would be a good item to request the Cruise Association to respond to the cruise board for an update.