Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM
First Mate

Default RCI's new Late Departures: Would you pay for the privilege?

RCI's new Late Departures: Would you pay for the privilege?

From the UK board: See their discussions
RCI's new Late Departures: Would you pay for the privilege? - Cruises.co.uk - SHOWTHREAD

Quote: " Would you pay to stay on board for a few extra hours? Perhaps you quite fancy a lie in, and maybe you prefer to avoid the crowds...

Royal Caribbean recently tested a new 'late departure' programme on two of its ships which proved to be a mighty success - so much so that they'll be expanding the programme to all eight of its ships in Europe.

So what's the deal?
If you choose a "Late Departure" you can stay on your ship through lunchtime on the day of departure, rather than having to get off with everyone else in the early a.m.

Where's the catch?
Well there is a tiny one I suppose. You can stay on board (use the facilities including the pool, fitness centre and spa etc) but you can't hang around in your cabin, since it needs to be fixed up for the next passenger. You have to out of your cabin by 9am.

Thankfully, your luggage will be stored while you're on the ship so atleast you don't have to lug it around with you. You do have to be off by 90 minutes before the next sailing.

What's the damage?
A 'Late Departure' costs $35 for adults, $17.50 for kids ages 3-17, and free for kids under age 3. "

Would we pay for this privilege of a late departure?
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Admiral

robh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Would we pay for this privilege of a late departure?
If I'm in a situation in which it makes sense, yes -- but offhand, I can think of only two likely situations in which it would make sense to do so.

>> The first situation is if one is not returning home immediately and one's next accommodations (either another cruise or a hotel near the pier) won't be ready until later in the day. With many hotels now advertising that they don't permit check-in until 3:00 PM on the day of arrival, this situation actually is pretty commonplace for passengers with an indpendent post-cruise stay in the port of disembarkation. Of course, this issue usually does not arise when one books a post-cruise hotel package through one's cruise line.

>> The second situation is if one's flight home departs late in the day (or in the "wee" hours), as frequently occurs on cruises to Alaska that end in Seward or Whittier and perhaps in cruises to Australia/New Zealand, cruises that end in Hawai'i, and cruises to South America. In this situation, one could relax onboard until one needs to depart for the airport.

But for most cruises, I don't see how it would make sense.

Norm.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Never...........

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If it cost a little bit less I might do it. It sure beats sitting in the Miami airport and you REALLY miss the crowds at MIA when you arrive after 2:00 instead of 9:00 am.
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
If it cost a little bit less I might do it.
If you have a late flight it would be worth it just for the food. The food at the airport is not exactly cheap.
Besides I am never in a hurry to leave the ship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Admiral

I might for a late flight. I don't consider the hotel check-in much of an issue, as you can usually at least leave your bags with the bellman and go out on the town. Of course you will be listening to all those announcements for everyone else to disembark.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015