Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Admiral

Default Foggy Tuesday

Morning Mates, it's a foggy, humid morning here in Pictou County, but at least it's stopped raining! It's supposed to clear and be a decent day, partly cloudy partly sunny, so hopefully, a good day to visit the Port of Halifax.
I am hoping to see a cruise ship or two, I'll be sure to post a photo if I do!

Yesterday we canceled our trip to PEI because the weather was so awful, but if any of you watched Regis & Kelly, you probably saw the weather cleared up! Even so, it was a sea of red mud in Charlottetown due to the 30 mm of rain that fell in the past 24 hours!

We found some indoor pursuits yesterday, museums, pubs and such, then enjoyed a relaxing afternoon at a local lodge, sitting by the sea, enjoying the view.

We also happened to see some local wildlife, a Great Blue Heron who was fishing in a pool just offshore, and a couple of deer who wandered onto the road as we were leaving the lodge.

There are more in the Personal Gallery, if you care to look.
Well, better get going, it's a along drive to Halifax, see you tomorrow!

donna
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Good morning Rollerdonna and all who follow.

I know I am far from being alone when I tell you R/D how beautiful and educational your photos are and how enchanting your new home and its environs are. You certainly live in one gorgeous area. I do so look forward to your photograps (whether they be cruising or otherwise).

It's errand day for me and then Fran has her weekly blood work and today an appointment with her Oncologist to review what has been going on.

Our cat Felix has developed a limp in one of his front legs. If it's not better this morning, its off to the Vet with him.

Today was originally scheduled to be my day of multiple medical appointments and tests in Cleveland at the Cleveland clinic and I am so glad I had it postponed until next month.

We finally received measurable rain yesterday and that was truly a God send for our farmers who've been taking it on the chin of late. Hopefully we'll have some more during this week. Today is only a 40% chance of rain. At least temps have moderated to the upper eighties.

Hope everyone has a grand Tuesday. Be safe, stay well and prayers and Blessings continue.

Todd
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

I have been hit with a mid-summer malady. I have never had a problem with allergies so I am attributing this to the flu. I have a nasty cough and sinus problems. The cough is bad enough that it makes it hard, to impossible, to get any real sleep. I have a doctor's appointment at 1:30 p.m. to see what the heck is going on. I do not have a temp but this "stuff" in my lungs is causing some real problems.

The weather is sure nice. Temps in the mid-80's and clear skies. I guess that will change today and some thunderstorms will roll in this afternoon.

Donna: The pictures of your area look very nice. I can't get too excited over the Bambi pictures. There are so many around here that they are getting to be a nuisance. They are nuisances but they are pretty. This is a picture I took on Saturday morning. The young deer was right in the front yard when my grandson saw it. It moved down by my berm when I took this shot.

I hope everyone has a great day and that everyone's ailments hit the road.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Feel better Mike
--------------

Good morning from NY ,cloudy now but massive thunderstorms are predicted
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Default Foggy Tuesday

Good morning, everyone. A beautiful suny morning here, but the temps are ratcheting upward to 100 by the weekend.

Donna, the pics are so pretty.
Mike, I hope you feel better soon.
Todd, how's Fran doing?

I get to help make my dentist richer today in the form of two new crowns.

Have a good day, all.

Judy
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Good morning from Virginia Beach where the temperature is already past 80 degrees. Rob and I got back from Palm Springs on Friday and it took me several days to catch up on washing and cleaning. While in Palm Springs I experienced my first earthquake; it lasted all of 27 seconds. The floor shook in the condo where we were staying and and before I knew what hit me, it was all over! Rollerdonna, I just love your pictures! Keep up the great photography. It was hard to go back to work after a wonderful week in Palm Springs. May all of my fellow cruisemates have a great day!
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
I am still at the hospital with MIL. Its been a very difficult week for her. I arrived in Canada Friday night from Indiana around supper time. I met FIL at their house and we went to the hospital ER together to see how she was doing. We drove over and met the Dr. and she was an angel of mercy. She had been working all day long to try and find an area hospital equipped to deal with her spinal issues.

Soon after our arrival it was decided that she would be transferred over to Detroit Receiving Hospital. She and I traveled by ambulance down to Windsor, crossed the border via the tunnel and we have been here since about 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning. I do not know how to describe the Emergency Room experience at 2:00 a.m. on a Friday night. It would make a very interesting documentary. I sat for a while in the waiting area while they triaged MIL. I shared the waiting room with families whose loved ones had been shooting victims. It is a frightening place to be. Luckily I was called back to join MIL after about 45 minutes and then had to pass through a metal detector and my bag was searched. She was parked there for several hours and I climbed up on the gurney next to hers and tried to sleep while we waited. About 4:00 a.m. we went down for an MRI and shortly thereafter she was admitted and put in a room.Her room is a very nice private one that is right next to the nursing station. I stayed with her through the day and just made very certain she got her pain meds and that she was carefully transferred and that she was well cared for. SIL and FIL came to visit and I rode back to Canada with them that night and slept the sleep of the dead since I had not slept much at all.

I woke up early and headed back to Detroit. When I arrived I found out that MIL had been battling with the nurses to get some pain meds through the night and so she then went off for more tests. I went and had a few discussions with nurses and doctors regarding the issues with her pain meds and thought we had it all resolved. Unfortunately that did not happen. The hospital has guest housing available for a reasonable amount, so I procured a one bedroom suite, and it has been wonderful. That way if MIL has a problem again in the middle of the night, she can call me and I can run over and make sure her needs are met.

Tomorrow we have surgery scheduled. The surgery was scheduled for a couple of days ago, but has since been postponed. It seems MIL has a tumor growing on her spine at the base of her neck. If the tumor is not removed and the bones fixed she will very quickly become a quadriplegic. Right now she is numb from the waist down and has some paralysis. I am not sure if she will be able to regain any of the mobility she has lost in the past week or two. She is bound and determined she will walk again and if anyone could...it is her.

It has really been tough on her. I worry what will happen after the dust settles. I wish there was something I could do to make it all better. We will be meeting again with the Neurosurgeon later today to discuss the surgery a little more.

In the meanwhile d/h is taking good care of the kiddos along with the help of our trusty sitter and my Parents have helped out a lot too. I doubt I will get home prior to Friday or Saturday at the earliest.

Please keep the positive thoughts and prayers coming, we need all the help we can get. Thanks!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Once again, rain in the forecast here, so it looks like an inside day.

There's a charity coming around to collect lightly used old clothes, so I'm going to sort through my stuff, and try to guess which size I may not hit again, and move that stuff along.

I'd done a big grocery shop yesterday, so now I'm stuck trying to decide what to make Mrs. Kuki for dinner.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/