Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Default Wedding Invite

I grew up in the town next to Rhinbeck NY where the the big Clinton wedding will be held... our fellow cruisemates Todd and Fran lived just down the road from Rhinbeck prior to their retirement to Tennessee..I encourage our fellow cruisemates to visit upstate New York and enjoy the beauty and small town charm (she could not have picked a better location)

Rhinbeck will be an incredible setting for the wedding..it's a very quaint village...they could visit the Rhinbeck Aerodome and fly in a Sopwith Camel and throw out the wedding bouquet

they could also take a boat trip down the Hudson River and have their reception at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) and stop at the Roosevelt Library and read up on FDR

I wish the bride the best and inspite of growing up in the spotlight of the White House, I think her parents did a pretty good job of keeping her balanced...

Todd and I will be looking for our invitations in the mail on monday:o
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Venice,

I remember when her old man came to Hyde Park to meet with Yeltsin. For those who aren't familiar, Rhinebeck is about six miles North of Hyde Park on Rt. 9. The entire Roosevelt Estate looked like a helicopter parking lot!

I'll repeat a true humorous story for those who didn't read it when I first posted it a good while ago. The then Hyde Park Chief of Police and personal friend was having lunch with a Russian General (probably of the security service) in the basement of the Roosevelt Estate while the big shots were upstairs having theirs. The Russian General remarked how so very delicious the food was. My friend the police chief responded proudly, "It's catered by the CIA." Upon hearing this the general immediately halted the lifting of his fork and got a shocked look on his face. Only then did my friend realize what he had said and immediately said, "Oh no...not THAT CIA. I mean the Culinary Institute of America here in Hyde Park!" I understand a lot of laughter ensued.

Home to the oldest continuously operated Inn in the United States (The Beekman Arms), Rhinebeck was actually a farming community until the "high rollers" from the city discovered and "gentrified" it. It truly is an idyllic "Norman Rockwell" setting for a snowy Christmas Eve.

As usual, there's always a down side. A few years after we moved home to Tennessee, a fellow councilman in Rhinebeck (I had been a councilman in Hyde Park) told me that one woman, in tears, stated at a town council meeting that her family was going to lose the farm that had been in her family for I believe it was two hundred years because of the ever increasing astronomical taxes required for the services demanded by what I refer to as the "noveau riche." To this, a well heeled woman dressed in a full length mink who with her husband had moved into the area a couple of years previously, responded to the effect, "Well, if you can't afford to live here, you'll just have to move, won't you?" The acquaintance said it was all he could do not to tell the woman she had made the cruelest statement he ever heard. He was so disgusted, he never ran for re-election.

The owners of the residence where the wedding is being conducted have themselves apparently, only been in residence in Rhinebeck for around seven years and I understand were major political contributors to Chelsea's father's campaigns.

Todd
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It does look gorgeous around there, a perfect place for a wedding. The "other" bride, planned her wedding there too, not knowing that all the secret service, and all that goes along with Chelsea's wedding, would put her wedding and her Mother in a turmoil, with roads closed and security, everywhere. I hope both weddings, go off without a hitch, and they live happily ever after

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Admiral

It looks like a great town to live or visit. I’m happy for Chelsea. I remember the press and people in general making fun of her looks when she was a kid. It uses to make me crazy because she was just a kid and I’m sure she read some of the stories. How mean!! Well she has turned in to a beautiful young woman. I wish her a lifetime of happiness.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Admiral

A cousin of mine resides in Rhinebeck ,attended law school with Hillary and was in the Clinton administration .I wonder if he will be invited to the wedding ?
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Admiral

I've often thought that being the child of a famous person, public official or a member of the clergy is tough because one is held to a different standard thru a fault of birth ...the downside outweights the upside

having to grow up on public display in the White House with two high profile parents must have been tough

Todd.. the entire mid Hudson Valley has been overrunned by rich folks moving up from the city that has caused the property value to skyrocket and of course the property tax out of sight for many retirees on a fixed income..the elderly should have been grandfathered in for property tax purposes
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Admiral

As a pilot, of course I LOVE the Rhinbeck Aerodrome, and have been fortunate enough to visit it a couple of times. Since I've done that, you'd think the invitation for me and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) would be arriving any moment now! Unfortunately, we'll be forced to decline the invite, as I'm VERY busy these days.

"SKY"
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Sky..you could fly in for the day...attend the reception...play your tuba with Trombone Shorty and second line

you are only a hop skip and jump for Saratoga Performing Arts Center and you and your lovely bride could enjoy an evening of classical music
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Admiral

I too have been to the Aerodome and to the Dutchess County Fair .

Hillary and Bill have their primary residence in Chapaqua ,NY .A few years ago ,Hillary was shopping in a town supermarket .The wife of ome of my friends who lives in the same town spotted Hillary and decided to inquire if she would be interested in joining her mahjong group .Immediately 2 Secret Service guards nearly pounced on the 5'2 little old lady as she approached Hillary .
Old July 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Venice, Henry and Ken,

I am so very glad that the Aerodrome continued in the same vein after Cole Palin, it's founder and owner died. I think there were more than a few who were concerned about it's future. I wasn't one as I knew that too many folks had contributed to much of their time and talent to see all the effort go down the drain.

For anyone who has never visited the Aerodrome, it is absolutely worth a specific vacation to see the many wonderful sites in the Mid Hudson Valley, especially on the Rt. 9 Corridor from Poughkeepsie to Rhinebeck. Among those sites that are contained in just a twelve mile or so distance on the same highway are: The Culinary Institue of America, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Museum and estate, Valkill (Eleanor Roosevelt's retreat) and The Frederick Vanderbilt "country home" and gardens, all in Hyde Park. Just a few miles North in Staatsburg, you'll find The Mills Mansion (designed by the same guy who designed many of the Mansions of the "Gilded Age" including the largest home in North America (Vanderbilt in Asheville, NC). As a matter of fact, an architect from White's firm designed Frederick Vanderbilt's house in Hyde Park as well. The Mills Mansion is far larger however with 65 rooms plus 14 bathrooms as well as more bedrooms for employees (26) than for family and guests (21) and let's not forget the 23 fireplaces!

Then of course in Rhinebeck, there's the Beekman Arms and the Rhinebeck Aerodrome. You could spend an entire week in just that ten or twelve mile stretch and never get bored....if of course, you're into the country's history. Obviously I am....!

Todd
Old July 25th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It does sound quite lovely, although everything was supposed to be in secret, but that didn't last....Yes, she has turned out very well, almost in spite of growing up in the White House..

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Admiral

and for you flower children of the 60's:razz::razz:...about 20 miles south of Rhinbeck is Millbrook NY..where you can visit the Detrich Estate which in the 60's was the home of the famed Harvard Professor and LSD Guru Dr. Timothy Leary of the "tune in, turn on, drop out: fame"..would not doubt if the FOTB might have visited there during that time ::..you can also see the exact spot that I met Jennifer O'Neil of the "Summer of 42" movie fame and Dr. Leary and former Watergate star G. Gordon Liddy at the same time
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Whenever we went to that area we would cross the boarder into Mass. and go to Tanglewood and dine at the Red Lion Inn .
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Admiral

There is so much to see in that area .
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Henry,

You bring back memories.

Fran, I and a good friend drove to Stockbridge a couple of years before Norman Rockwell died. We toured what I think had been his home but was then a gallery, etc. and walked around the town of which America back in that era didn't realize it had seen so much.

It was said then that you might recognize some of the townspeople even if you'd never met them because those were most often his "models."

I remember that I couldn't afford the $25 for a personally signed lithograph because, if I remember correctly, we had lunched at the Red Lion. In any event, a couple of years later the value of that $25 lithograph skyrocketed when Mr. Rockwell died. I believe overnight it went to something like $1,500. I can only imagine what the value would be today. At any rate had I bought it, I would never have sold it.

What a peaceful marvelous town (or at least it was in the early to mid seventies). Matter of fact, it looked like something right out of a Rockwell painting.

Todd
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Do you recall the sitting area on the second floor of the Red Lion ? That was so relaxing . It was a 5 hour drive from Brooklyn .We haven't tried it yet from here but once I am able to sit in the car for an extended duration we may go out there .In the interim I have memories as well as pictures .
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

I wish Chelsea a life time of happiness, and I too think she has turned out to be a wonderful young lady.

That being said ..... when I first read the title of this thread, I thought OMG Venice is getting married I was about to make a quick phone call to our friend in Baton Rouge and tell her we had a wedding to attend then I read the thread. Of course it is happy news, but I thought we were really "on to something"

TC

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Sky..you could fly in for the day...attend the reception...play your tuba with Trombone Shorty and second line

you are only a hop skip and jump for Saratoga Performing Arts Center and you and your lovely bride could enjoy an evening of classical music
WOW, that would be my kind of day! The only problem with that is that if I got to play tuba with Trombone Shorty, I probably wouldn't want to quit, to go to the Performing Arts Center. Guess we'd have to make it a weekend thing!

"SKY"
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
As a pilot, of course I LOVE the Rhinbeck Aerodrome, and have been fortunate enough to visit it a couple of times. Since I've done that,
Quote:
you'd think the invitation for me and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) would be arriving any moment now!
Unfortunately, we'll be forced to decline the invite, as I'm VERY busy these days.

"SKY"
Your invite has not arrived yet?

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
As a pilot, of course I LOVE the Rhinbeck Aerodrome, and have been fortunate enough to visit it a couple of times. Since I've done that, you'd think the invitation for me and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) would be arriving any moment now! Unfortunately, we'll be forced to decline the invite, as I'm VERY busy these days.

"SKY"
Sky - have you ever been to Oshkosh, WI for the annual EAA Air Venture (used to be called the EAA Fly-in)?
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Admiral

TC....very funny :: ::, I had to promise Halle Berry's publicist that TMZ will have the exclusive when Halle announces our wedding plans

we are leaning towards getting married in secret on a private island in Greece and then honeymooning in South Africa during the Capetown Jazz Festival next March

so alas, I will not be able to invite my cruisemate friends..
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Henry,

I don't remember a sitting area but then, yesterday I ran into a friend at the supermarket and told her how much we enjoyed Anthony (her son) and the boys (her grand children) dropping by. She looked at me somewhat quizically but I shrugged it off. When I got home I realized that I was thinking she was someone else. What probably really screwed her up was that her husband is named Anthony as well. I called and left a message on her phone noting that I hoped now she'd believe me when I said, "I belong in the home." And you'd expect me to remember sitting in an inn? Seriously, I honestly don't remember whether we did or not.

I do recall it was about a three hour drive from where we lived in, at that time, Wappinger Falls.

Todd
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Familiar Face

We lived in the area for several years,I taught across the river at Kingston HS. Even then it was becoming difficult for regular people to live there.I loved going to the Duchess County Fair,beautiful area sad it has gotten too expensive for regular people.
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Sky - have you ever been to Oshkosh, WI for the annual EAA Air Venture (used to be called the EAA Fly-in)?
Actually Lisa, I HAVE had the pleasure of going to Oshkosh once. What a GREAT show they put on! I live in Lakeland, Florida, and we have what they call the "Sun & Fun Fly In", which is the "Oshkosh of the South". It's also an EAA event, and gets bigger every year.

Back to the subject at hand, I just heard that the "tab" for the wedding will approach THREE MILLION DOLLARS! What a joke! I think the lovely Mrs. Jones and I spent about five bucks on our wedding, and I'd wager it's already lasted longer than Chelsea's will.

"SKY"

Nope Laura,,,still haven't received our invitation! Must be lost in the mail!