Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Default How Do You Define Treason

Whether or not you agree with the US fighting in Afghanistan,
what do you thing about the people who are publishing classified information that could lead to the death of American soldiers and Afghan
citizens?

I call it treason and feel that the people who are doing it should be prosecuted!
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Admiral

There is a line one does not cross. Any member of the American military that passes on information that could well endanger the lives or freedom of other member of the military or it's civilian allies and/or employees, regardless of the failure of the system to prevent it, should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Condemn, vote, demonstrate, whatever, but to endanger both lives and security, just because of a personal opinion; is an unconscionable act. It is immaterial whether such information is any longer of tactical or strategic value.

Todd
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Whether or not you agree with the US fighting in Afghanistan,
what do you thing about the people who are publishing classified information that could lead to the death of American soldiers and Afghan
citizens?

I call it treason and feel that the people who are doing it should be prosecuted!
I totaly agree!!!! And whoever they are (including the private in custody for the first Wikileaks debacle) should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of military law.
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I totaly agree!!!! And whoever they are (including the private in custody for the first Wikileaks debacle) should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of military law.
DITTO! (Don't get me started on this one! It could get ugly!)

"SKY"
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:26 AM
Admiral

I don't understand why anyone of our people would want to do this.

Of course they must be dealt with in the proper manner.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Whoever leaked this information should be prosecuted to the full extent of criminal or military law.

The bad part is that with today's technology the people who actually released the documents are immune from U.S. prosecution. Hopefully Australia will help in this matter.

I am completely against censorship but when the publishing of information will or has a strong possibility of causing harm or death to others then they've gone too far with free speech.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The bad part is that with today's technology the people who actually released the documents are immune from U.S. prosecution. Hopefully Australia will help in this matter.

Mike
We should make them an offer they can't refuse.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Admiral

For some reason, I happened to notice the "Join Date" up in the corner of my post.

I defy anyone to match my amount of posts since the date I joined. Since this past May, I've written over 2,300 posts!!!

Talk about verbosity!

Todd
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme
Default The punishment for treason should be death

I am the daughter of a WW2 veteran, the wife of a Viet Nam veteran, and the mother of 3 Desert Storm and OIF/OEF veterans.

If you wish to put my family further in harm's way by leaking military information, you should suffer the same fate as our soldiers you endanger. Go and spend a few months in the hot Afghan or Iraq sun, walk around a city in which you cannot tell who is your ememy and who is not. lose a wife because she "could not wait. " miss your children growing up and so on.

If you don't support our nation, move out. You probably don't pay taxes but would be the first to look for a handout.

I had better stop now. Maybe I will get an e-mail from my son who is putting his life on the line so that you have the freedom to put him in jeopardy
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Default Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
For some reason, I happened to notice the "Join Date" up in the corner of my post.

I defy anyone to match my amount of posts since the date I joined. Since this past May, I've written over 2,300 posts!!!

Talk about verbosity!

Todd

I have 1944 since I began to post in Dec.2009 .After 2 years on the music board I contribute to I had 10,000 .I've given up count since .I began posting in its inception in 1999 .
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Whoever leaked this information should be prosecuted to the full extent of criminal or military law.

I am completely against censorship but when the publishing of information will or has a strong possibility of causing harm or death to others then they've gone too far with free speech.

Take care,
Mike

I agree with you Mike......and I hope that somehow the ones who posted the leaked information will be brought to justice up to and including the death penalty...even though it might be against all odds.

Anyone has a right to agree or disagree with our policies, foreign and domestic and there are appropriate forums to do that. However, to leak information that can and will harm our troops and innocent civilians in the areas involved is beyond the pale.
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
Banned
Captain

It is well known in military circles that "intelligence" has a 48-hour shelf life.

I don't know why everyone's getting their panties all knotted up over this. Nothing has been compromised. Relax already and quit trying to make hay out of horsehair.

Boy. I bet BP is glad this came out.
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tennille View Post
Boy. I bet BP is glad this came out.
Yes, this is one leak that they were not responsible for.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Captain, your glib second paragraph belies your staggering lack of knowledge to anyone who knows anything about military intelligence and the inter-relation of the varying types of intelligence. Your quote is correct only in that it applies only to a narrowly defined type of tactical intelligence and then, only in a specific manner.

I strongly urge you to retract it and apologize to the families of those serving in Iraq and Afganistan (including Canadians) who may have been put at risk, a possibility not only put forth by high military and intelligence commanders, but which would be understood by most present and former members of the military who would be aware of such a distinct possibility.

Todd
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM
Banned
Captain

Todd:

I thought we got past juvenile name-calling.

And I guess your "commanders" and my "commanders" disagree. Maybe we should put them in a fishie bowl and have them fight it out.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirknme View Post
I am the daughter of a WW2 veteran, the wife of a Viet Nam veteran, and the mother of 3 Desert Storm and OIF/OEF veterans.

If you wish to put my family further in harm's way by leaking military information, you should suffer the same fate as our soldiers you endanger. Go and spend a few months in the hot Afghan or Iraq sun, walk around a city in which you cannot tell who is your ememy and who is not. lose a wife because she "could not wait. " miss your children growing up and so on.

If you don't support our nation, move out. You probably don't pay taxes but would be the first to look for a handout.

I had better stop now. Maybe I will get an e-mail from my son who is putting his life on the line so that you have the freedom to put him in jeopardy
Marianne,

First and most importantly, is to thank you and your family for your family for their service for this country. What our soldiers have endured in those two wars is just unbelievable with the heat and the constant danger.
You will probably find those kinds of people who would release such damaging information to further their anti-war views, would be the first to protest lack of top of the line exercise equipment for those rapist and violent criminals currently in the US prison system.

Too make this story even worse; you now have a left leaning news paper like the NY Times now publishing part of the secret documents. Talk about sleeping with the enemy!!!!!

Please tell you son we here at home in the US, are thinking of him and praying for his safety.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Captain

The only juvenile comment I recall was one by you about someone (obviously yours truly) getting "their panties all knotted up."

Those whom I use for substantiation of my argument are the Chief of Staff of the United States Armed Forces (a four star general) as well as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (also a former general) both of whom are intelligence experts who stated in effect, that the information disseminated by Wiki-Leaks could well have already cost innocent people their lives. Their words, Captain.

While obviously you disagree, even the potential loss of innocent lives as a result of a senseless dissemination of stolen military secret document is to me and most others, a serious and potentially tragic issue. As a result of a lack of knowledge about the subject, glaringly obviated by your lackluster attempts at sarcastic humor revealing your incapability of continuing the discussion on an adult plane, there is no need to continue.

I'm sure you'll find your "fishie bowl" entertaining.

Cheers!

Todd
Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Banned
Captain

Much as you would like to delude yourself into thinking my "panties" comment was directed at YOU, it wasn't. I guess in your all-important mind you are "everybody".

You can KMA (I can say it too, just with less verbosity).

FYI: just because you are buddies with a certain moderator does not give you carte blanche to insult other posters, no matter what your opinion may be of them.

Last edited by Captain Tennille; August 2nd, 2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Admiral

I define treason with 1 name - Jane Fonda

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
As a Vietnam Vet, I concur 100%!

"SKY"
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Default I'm fonda Jane

Quote:

If she were actually guilty she would have been held accountable .Millions of people protested the war in Vietnam including politicians ,athletes ,people in show business and common folk .
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
If she were actually guilty she would have been held accountable .Millions of people protested the war in Vietnam including politicians ,athletes ,people in show business and common folk .
None of those others actually went to North Vietnam and gave open aid and support to our enemy. Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam, made anti-American and Pro-Communist broadcast over the radio to our troops in South Vietnam, she posed for a picture sitting on a North Vietnam anti-aircraft gun and pretended to shoot down an American plane, and when American POWs came home and told their stories of horrific torture at the hands of the North Vietnamese, Jane Fonda called the returning POWs "Liars"!

Tokyo Rose was an American and she was prosected for treason after WW2 because of the radio broadcast she made during the war. Jane Fonda should've been prosecuted for her treason, but her popularity as an actress and a couple of Presidential administrations that didn't care let her get away with it.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Admiral

I was biting my tongue, wanting to mention " Hanoi Jane " but didn't as I had already been there and back before she went but I was so frustrated
with the news media and the photos of her sitting in an A.A.battery it was extremely hard to take as I knew there were still people there going through hell and for her to prolong and add to it was almost too much to bear.
If there ever was a traitor, when you see her photo, you're looking at one. And to think she not only walked away scott free, she has continued to make millions in movies, t.v., etc. and the American public was and are the ones who paid to see her movies, her videos, etc.
I'm with "Sky" on this!! Didn't want to get started but--
For anyone to do anything purposely to put just one soldiers life in jeopardy is, in my opinion the bottom of the barrel. Believe me, it's hard enough to survive without someone feeding info. that may add to the danger and hardship you're already facing everyday and night.
I recently read a quote ( supposedly) from General Schwarzkopf where someone had asked him if we should forgive the people who were behind
911. He supposedly answered " It's not our job to forgive them--that's God's job.--Our job is to make sure the two meet "--the same way I feel about traitors !!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I want to comment on this so bad, but have held off until now. I will try to choose my words carefully.

Jane Fonda first. I was to young to understand the harm she was doing, but have since seen the pain in the eyes of the vets who went through so much because of her actions. This includes a vet who was in prison in Viet Nam, and was beat repeatedly, and told that each blow was from Jane. I believe she has been punished, and will continue to do so as long as there is a Nam vet still alive, and that is to good for her.

As far as the leaks..... I am, unlike this a**, unable to say much, but I will tell you that it has hurt, and it has caused valuable time trying to over come the damage. All of you that have posted so far, know me through my posts, know my hubby through my loving posts of him, and you all know what we have been through this last 2 years. There is not one of you who would post something on line to endanger his life, and there for, hurt my family any more than we have already been hurt. but this involves not only his life, but the lives of thousands.

There is a reason why some things are kept secret. Not just with the military, but with anything that deals with the safety of others.

I have 2 years worth of built up agression, so I suggest putting this so called soldier in a room with me for a couple of hours.

If I was a non military person, I would think all this leaking was no big deal, and just another news story that has been reported to death, but since I know a little more of what is going on, it scares me to death.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
As another Vietnam Veteran, I still have a hard time thinking about what she did.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Jane

Quote:
None of those others actually went to North Vietnam and gave open aid and support to our enemy. Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam, made anti-American and Pro-Communist broadcast over the radio to our troops in South Vietnam, she posed for a picture sitting on a North Vietnam anti-aircraft gun and pretended to shoot down an American plane, and when American POWs came home and told their stories of horrific torture at the hands of the North Vietnamese, Jane Fonda called the returning POWs "Liars"!

Tokyo Rose was an American and she was prosected for treason after WW2 because of the radio broadcast she made during the war. Jane Fonda should've been prosecuted for her treason, but her popularity as an actress and a couple of Presidential administrations that didn't care let her get away with it.

I wasn't aware of all of that but her politics did not affect her at the box office
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I saw Jane Fonda do a show on Broadway last season. She was outstanding.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Admiral

My parents taught me not to cuss, so I won't tell you what I think of Jane Fonda.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Default Jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
My parents taught me not to cuss, so I won't tell you what I think of Jane Fonda.

Probably what I think about Mel Gibson