Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Default TV-Deja VU

It use to be in the summertime tv shows were all repeats and one could not wait for the fall season..cable has changed that by introducing new shows in the summer time slot ...I have fallen in love with several shows on TNT and USA Network, but while watching one last night, it finally dawned on me that these shows are really rehashing great tv show's from the 60's and 70's with an updated technology and good looking hardbodies of both sexes

if you watch any of the shows, tell me if they do not remind you of the old tv shows (or tell me which shows they do remind you of)

White Collar reminds me of :oIt Takes A Thief and/or The Saint:o
Burn Notice reminds me of:oThe Equalizer:o
The Closer reminds me of the female version of:oColumbo:o
Royal Pains reminds me of a younger version :oMarcus Welby MD:o
Psychreminds me of:oTen Speed and Brownshoes:o
Leveragereminds me of :oMission Impossible:o

I love these current shows on cable (The Closer is my favorite) and it stand to reason that I would because I loved their 60's counterpart

I do think the Big 3 (CBS,NBC,ABC) have figured out that USA Network and FX are killing them so they are trying to fight back with new programming during the summer..however CBS is messing with fire by bringing back my alltime favorite show Hawaii Five-O they better dig up Jack Lord, they better play the exact same theme song and have Wo-Fat as the bad guy or else the show will be a flop in less then 4 weeks..certain original shows you don't mess with
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2010, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I like Burn Notice and Royal Pains.

Burn Notice is "similar" to The Equalizer in that an ex-spy helps ordinary people but the circumstances are bit different. Burn Notice is far better than The Equalizer was. The Equalizer's first season was good but after that it fell apart.

The funny thing about Burn Notice is that it basically teaches the youth of America how to make an explosive device out of household chemicals and a microwave. :-D

Royal Pains and Marcus Welby are similiar in the that a doctor still makes house calls. Hank makes a lot more from one than Marcus ever did. After that I don't see much similarity.

BTW: The "major networks" own substantial parts or all of many cable networks. NBC / Universal owns USA and The Sci-fi channel.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Venice,

About the only entertainment TV I watch anymore is stuff on the History Channel, Discovery, PBS, etc. Having said that I am familiar with some of the shows you listed (my niece simply cannot believe that we have never watched an episode of House). We have also never seen an episode of The Simpsons (and there's a second verse to that song ).

I in the past have enjoyed Law and Order, the older LA Law, have seen every single episode of The Golden Girls probably over fifteen times and going way back, have seen every episode of the Honeymooners eight million times (give or take a hundred grand).

Of those new shows you have mentioned, I'm familiar with the outlines of several and I think, Venice, that you have probably hit the nail on the head. After all, even the entertainment industry knows that not only is imitation the sincerest form of flattery, it can also be the most profitable.

However, I also agree with you as regards several old time hit shows another being "I Love Lucy." They're certainly "The Untouchables."

Todd
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Mike..Burn Notice also has Fiona..she can instruct me in how to blow up things anytime
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Default Not only you ,Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Venice,

About the only entertainment TV I watch anymore is stuff on the History Channel, Discovery, PBS, etc. Having said that I am familiar with some of the shows you listed (my niece simply cannot believe that we have never watched an episode of House). We have also never seen an episode of The Simpsons (and there's a second verse to that song ).

I in the past have enjoyed Law and Order, the older LA Law, have seen every single episode of The Golden Girls probably over fifteen times and going way back, have seen every episode of the Honeymooners eight million times (give or take a hundred grand).

Of those new shows you have mentioned, I'm familiar with the outlines of several and I think, Venice, that you have probably hit the nail on the head. After all, even the entertainment industry knows that not only is imitation the sincerest form of flattery, it can also be the most profitable.

However, I also agree with you as regards several old time hit shows another being "I Love Lucy." They're certainly "The Untouchables."

Todd
I've never watched House .I've never watched an entire episode of The Simpsons .
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Summer is a whole new ball game!!! I love the Closer, Burn Notice,and Royal Pains as well...Rizzoli and Isles is good too....I just read Michale Chiklas is coming back on ABC, in No Ordinary Family....

The networks, should take a cue from TNT..they do it right!

Venice, Fiona is amazing!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:49 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_...ault&play=true

I sure hope this works........we played the Hawaii 5-0 theme when I was in high school and we did it well........I don't think they screwed it up at all with the remake........some of the musicians actually played on the original Hawaii 5-0 theme song!