Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Pet Owners: Wash That Bowl!!!!

I know many Cruisemates have furry members of the family and we like to keep them and ourselves healthy.

Your pet can become sick from bacteria and virus' the same way that we can.

A major way your pet can get sick is right from the bowl or dish you feed them. Many people will go days, weeks or months without washing their pet's bowl. Bacteria, molds, virus' and other "things" can be growing in there and make your pet and you VERY sick.

You should wash your pet's feeding dish every day. The same way you wash your dishes. If you don't wash it every day then at least every few days is the maximum. EVERY DAY if you use canned food. Also wash the water dish at least every couple of days but every time you refill it is best.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!! Use your pet's dish as a scoop for it's food. Use a clean and dedicated scoop to fill the dish.

If you think: "Why should I bother he licks his butt and is just fine." A dog or cat's metabolism can handle that but cannot handle mold or other bacteria.

This all came about from a client (Pomeranian) of my daughter's who died a very slow and very painful death from a staph infection of the lungs. The staph was traced directly back to the dog's dish. This staph could also have infected the owners and children in the house. The owners couldn't remember the last time it was washed. It didn't look "dirty" but it was deadly.

A good suggestion is what I do is: When you start the dishwasher grab the pet dishes and stick them in. Fido or Fifi can go without water long enough for the cycle to complete. You can also have two sets of feeding dishes and alternate.

Though we love our furry friends sometimes we don't think about the cleanliness of their stuff the same way we think about the cleanliness of what we eat off of. Do you eat off of the same unwashed plates each day? I don't think so and why should your pet.

Take care and take care of your pets,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Mike,
Some great advise....I wash the food bowl every day!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Good advice, Mike. Don't forget the water bowl too!
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Obvious to us....but some just don't think.
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Thanks for that great advice Mike!
I do wash the pets' bowls every time I feed them, hubby doesn't see the need, so he doesn't , but with both of us feeding them, they get washed at least once a day! And I always clean the bowl when refilling it with water, I've seen the scum if I don't!
I've often asked hubby, "would you like it if I served your dinner on the same dirty plate you had breakfast and lunch?" Just saying...

donna
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Mike,

I am so glad you mentioned that subject. To many of us who are around Vets, clinics, shelters, etc. we take what you wrote for granted. But seeing it being presented in print as you did, made me realize something.

I have written over 1,500 newspaper columns and I am forever including safety and wellness tips. Yet never did I think to mention the importance of cleanliness of food and water bowls/dishes.

I am sure there are going to be quite a few people who did not realize the importance of the cleanliness of food and water bowls. I will make the point with a whole lot of more folks next Saturday.

Thank you ever so much for the heads up and as regards yours truly, ensuring "the bulb lit up."

Todd
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the GREAT advise! Fritz, Schroeder, Maddie and our newest household member, Walter, will appreciate your wise words. We've always kept their bowls clean anyway, but this just reinforces the need to do so.
THANKS!

"SKY"
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
First Mate

Walter - what a great name for a pet! Mind if I use that sometime?