Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Default Dear Me, Dear Me

As some of you know, I generally only post once each year now, in February, with our "annual report" information. But I do look in every few months or so, to see what you're all up to, and if anything is particularly new on the board.

Imagine my surprise when I looked the other day to find a string started by none other than Paul himself, musing over the NYT Supreme Court poll--which I'd seen and taken already. And the subsequent posts where almost everybody allied themselves with Clarence Thomas (what, no Scalia?)

And now there's a string about the Wikileaks controversy in which two people are really going at it in a full-out pi$$ing contest.

The ever-perceptive Luanne points out that this certainly represents a sea-change (sorry) in policy around here. If I or anybody else had posted either of those strings back in the dark ages, the censors would have deleted them instantly. Please don't say they wouldn't have. We all know better.

I can only speculate about why what once was verboten is now okey-dokey. But I won't, because if I do Paul will write a long, impassioned tract about why I'm wrong.

Anyway, keep up the good work, kids. Oh, and on the Wikileaks thing, you're both kind of missing the point. You shouldn't conflate the original leak, which is almost certainly a crime and should therefore be prosecuted, with the portions reprinted and discussed in the mainstream press, which is not a crime--and more to the point--which omitted specific names. In other words, the mainstream media have exercised a modicum of judgment which Wikileaks did not. You're welcome to believe that nobody should have printed anything if you like, but you must recognize the huge legal and moral difference between what the original leaker and Wikileaks did as against what many, many newspapers have done subsequently.

I'll check back in with you for my usual February update.

AR
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Banned
Captain

AR> the "contest" you are referring to is an on-going affair, which I suspect is occasionally encouraged by a "prominent third party". It really is no big deal. Take it with a grain of salt. I do.

I like to think it keeps the place from falling asleep.... which might just happen anyways.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Admiral

AR I thought of you when I read that post. It did strike my odd. But to quote the movie the Adventures of Bull Whip Griffin.

"Grandpa used to say that people are 98% water and if you don't stir them up once in awhile, they stagnate."

I think I watch to many movies. I'm guessing I may be the only person that saw that film.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Goodbye AR. Can't imagine how we all get along without you around here. See you again in Feb.

"SKY"
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

AR..it's really very simple. Internet Brands (our owner) decided to "leave more leeway" and allow more controversial topics. Paul posted about that change somewhere.

Personally, I think it's a mistake, and as you say, we're seeing "pissing contests already". I still believe people quit acting like adults when they talk about certain topics when protected by the anonymity of the internet.

Sure, it was done to encourage more posts (hits), and have a bit of an "edge" on the site. I no longer monitor those topics, even for personal attacks.. though I imagine other staff do.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The rules were relaxed in an experiment to see if people could carry on a discussion without resorting to name calling, personal attacks and completely off topic remarks. It seems that most people can have a reasonable discussion but there are a few who cannot and detract from the discussion rather than adding substance to it.

The experiment is failing and I see that we will soon go back to the old rules of not allowing discussions of a political nature.

I'm disappointed. I hoped for more.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
AR..it's really very simple. Internet Brands (our owner) decided to "leave more leeway" and allow more controversial topics. Paul posted about that change somewhere.

Personally, I think it's a mistake, and as you say, we're seeing "pissing contests already". I still believe people quit acting like adults when they talk about certain topics when protected by the anonymity of the internet.

Sure, it was done to encourage more posts (hits), and have a bit of an "edge" on the site. I no longer monitor those topics, even for personal attacks.. though I imagine other staff do.
I wish someone would have told me that the policy was changed on purpose. I ended up getting ticked off and making Paul angry for nothing.

I agree with you, Kuki, that I am not a fan of it; but I can live with consistency. I am a big believer in Internet Brands and especially FlyerTalk. I just wish they would put into place the rules here that exist for Omni on FlyerTalk.

Marc (now back in USA)

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Duh--I'm a cousin to Gomer so you'all excuse me but I don't really see that much of a Peeing contest going on any where on here. People are for the most part, pretty doggone well behaved I think.
Sure, there's a few little disagreements here and there but after all, not everyone likes the same flavor ice cream so that alone should show there's going to be a few different opinions now and then.
I think the board 's doing great--but as a cousin to Gomer, what would I know??
As Sky said, we'll wait til Feb. for another update.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Banned
Captain

"an experiment"?

I feel icky and used all of a sudden....

:-)
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tennille View Post
"an experiment"?

I feel icky and used all of a sudden....

:-)
What you don't like being experimented on?It's because of that alien abduction in 1969 isn't it. I told you not to eat the brownies. How's that for off topic? I think lack of sleep is affecting my mind. Or it's just my mind in general.

AR have you ever heard of a Silent Screen Actress called Lila Lee. I'm rereading her son James Kirkwood Jr. novels and I'm about to start "there must be a Pony." I didn't realize he really found a boy in the backyard in 1936. The silent era has some truly interesting non fiction stories.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Kat, if you want to go on a theme read...google Thelma Todd, William Desmond, and the Black Dalia murders Elizabeth Short, who came from the Boston Area,and moved to Hollywood, to have a gruesome end...I think I have read every book about the murder.

Thelma's life was quite interesting, as was Desmonds,and the murders, and trials were major paparazzi fodder for the time..good books,all....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
AR have you ever heard of a Silent Screen Actress called Lila Lee. I'm rereading her son James Kirkwood Jr. novels and I'm about to start "there must be a Pony." I didn't realize he really found a boy in the backyard in 1936. The silent era has some truly interesting non fiction stories.
Yes, but I haven't read Kirkwood's books. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a whirl. Oh yeah, today's Hollywood stories have nothing on the silent era. The only things they didn't have back then were "Entertainment Tonight" and the internet. Imagine the sensation the Fatty Arbuckle case would cause today. I may just screen Sunset Boulevard tonight in the TransLux.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Admiral

During the Silent era people were mysteriously pop up dead all over the place.

Roscoe Fatty Arbuckle was arrested and tried for the murder of a Virginia Rappe.

What about the Thomas Ince death on William Randolph Hearst's yacht. He was shot and kill but there was no cornoer's inquest. Plus Thomas Ince's body was cremated.

Clara Bow's Mentally ill mother tried to stab her to death.

The Jackie Coogan thing pisses me off the most (I love the Charlie Chaplin/Jackie Coogan film the kid) as a kid Jackie Coogan earned up to $4 million. When he became an adult he sued his parents. He only received about $126,000 of that $4 million.

Of course there was the Charlie Chaplin and Joan Berry scandal. The Charlie Chaplin and Midred Harris scandal. The Charlie Chaplin and Lita Grey scandal. Charlie Chaplin and Oona O'neil scandal (he was 54 and she was 17). However, the marriage Oona O'neil did last for Charlie Chaplin so people didn't really consider it a scandal I guess. Jerry Lee Lewis sure got in hot water for doing something similar. I guess it was an issue because she was his cousin.

Then there is the dead body in Lila Lee's Backyard found by her 12 year old son. I found James Kirkwood's books to be really good. They are hard to found because a lot of them are out of print. I think PS your cat is dead may still be in print. I checked Good Times/Bad Times out of the liabrary and forgot to return it. How I'm glad I did. I went on Ebay looking for Some kind of Hero (Don't watch the movie that was horrible).

I would love to read a book of just the silent era starts scandals.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; August 3rd, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Default The old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
During the Silent era people were mysteriously pop up dead all over the place.

Roscoe Fatty Arbuckle was arrested and tried for the murder of a Virginia Rappe.

What about the Thomas Ince death on William Randolph Hearst's yacht. He was shot and kill but there was no cornoer's inquest. Plus Thomas Ince's body was cremated.

Clara Bow's Mentally ill mother tried to stab her to death.

The Jackie Coogan thing pisses me off the most (I love the Charlie Chaplin/Jackie Coogan film the kid) as a kid Jackie Coogan earned up to $4 million. When he became an adult he sued his parents. He only received about $126,000 of that $4 million.

Of course there was the Charlie Chaplin and Joan Berry scandal. The Charlie Chaplin and Midred Harris scandal. The Charlie Chaplin and Lita Grey scandal. Charlie Chaplin and Oona O'neil scandal (he was 54 and she was 17). However, the marriage Oona O'neil did last for Charlie Chaplin so people didn't really consider it a scandal I guess. Jerry Lee Lewis sure got in hot water for doing something similar. I guess it was an issue because she was his cousin.

Then there is the dead body in Lila Lee's Backyard found by her 12 year old son. I found James Kirkwood's books to be really good. They are hard to found because a lot of them are out of print. I think PS your cat is dead may still be in print. I checked Good Times/Bad Times out of the liabrary and forgot to return it. How I'm glad I did. I went on Ebay looking for Some kind of Hero (Don't watch the movie that was horrible).

I would love to read a book of just the silent era starts scandals.
Similiar to people in the 30's who "fell" out of windows in NYC
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Henry,

As with the case of Abe Reles who "fell" or "jumped" out of the Half Moon hotel in Coney Island in 1941 all with two cops baby sitting him?

Todd
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Default Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Henry,

As with the case of Abe Reles who "fell" or "jumped" out of the Half Moon hotel in Coney Island in 1941 all with two cops baby sitting him?

Todd
I did not realize it was 1941 ,I thought it was a few years earlier .I sit corrected
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Kat, if you want to go on a theme read...google Thelma Todd, William Desmond, and the Black Dalia murders Elizabeth Short, who came from the Boston Area,and moved to Hollywood, to have a gruesome end...I think I have read every book about the murder.

Thelma's life was quite interesting, as was Desmonds,and the murders, and trials were major paparazzi fodder for the time..good books,all....
These sound like interesting books I will have to hit liabrary (if they still trust me with thier books).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Banned
Captain

Katlady> I'm beginning to think you hijacked this thread ON PURPOSE...

no way..huh?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Another interesting thread.

I hope the experiment works. Knowledge is wonderful, and one persons view point might cause someone else to think.

But, for those of us who have been around for awhile know that it is a no no to talk about adult subjects without getting deleted, so I comment carefully.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

P.S Hello AR!! Miss you
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tennille View Post
Katlady> I'm beginning to think you hijacked this thread ON PURPOSE...

no way..huh?
It was just an experiment.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
P.S Hello AR!! Miss you
Thanks old friend. Now if I could just get skymaster to love me all would be right with the world. Ah, well.
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Thanks old friend. Now if I could just get skymaster to love me all would be right with the world. Ah, well.
AH,,,no problem AR. If, and when we meet face to face, we'll probably become lifelong friends. We just have very different opinions on lots of things, but that will make for interesting conversations.

"SKY"
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Kat...you are really a smooth operatorgreat way to move the thread into a different direction

AR..good to hear from you..I've decided to indulge myself and fulfill one of my lifetime dreams of owning a Jukebox..any suggestions?..been looking at the Wurlizter online digital (I didn't know they were owned by Gibson Guitar Corp) as long as I get all the colors and bells/whistles
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Forgotten

IN all these talk of scandals how about the Lana Turner one...the only thing I remember there was a stabbing involved.. Instead of the "rags" at the supermarket we had film magazine like Photoplay and others..Sadly there have been other incidents of children being cheated by their parents Coogan law or not...or they felt they were..
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

I think the guy's name was Johnny Stomponato or something such as that. If I remember correctly, he was stabbed to death by Turner's daughter.

Todd
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Threads like this are interesting. I have always been a big fan of "opinions" What a boring world this would be if we all had the same opinion of everything.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 12th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Default Good memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Parrot Mom,

I think the guy's name was Johnny Stomponato or something such as that. If I remember correctly, he was stabbed to death by Turner's daughter.

Todd
There was always talk I believe of her daughter not doing it, but you do have a good memory
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Default Political Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The rules were relaxed in an experiment to see if people could carry on a discussion without resorting to name calling, personal attacks and completely off topic remarks. It seems that most people can have a reasonable discussion but there are a few who cannot and detract from the discussion rather than adding substance to it.

The experiment is failing and I see that we will soon go back to the old rules of not allowing discussions of a political nature.

I'm disappointed. I hoped for more.

Take care,
Mike
Mike, do I take it that the experiment has been abandoned and that political posts are now being deleted?

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Oh AR........how I wish our friend Pamda were still alive to join in! May she R.I.P. ..... her memory lives on!