Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:38 PM
First Mate

Default Try the Free IPhone - ITouch Ship Apps by Jan Jirout

Try the IPhone - ITouch Ship Apps by Jan Jirout
One of my Cruises.co.uk board folks told me about this neat Apple IPhone / ITouch App that has been developed for people to use for various cruise lines. It can be used offline and allows you to see ship plans , locations et cetra, ship sailing dates and you can input your plans and expenses.

Quote: "No internet connection is needed so while on-board the ship you will have access to all the information about your trip in the palm of your hand. Included in the app is information about all the excursions, restaurants, and shops on-board the ships plus useful information about each of the ports."

Ship Mate - Royal Caribbean International for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
The above Apple URL will allow you to download for 'free' the cruise line Apps available and also describes the current cruise line Apps and functions available.
This is a great idea and should be popular with folks as more are cruising now with Apple App products.

The Facebook entry for the Author is :
Ship Mate | Facebook
Jan Jirout is the Author of ShipMate ( Copyright Jan Jirout 2009)
History: Celebrity Infinity-1, Dawn Princess-1, Sea Princess-2, Golden Princess-2, HA Maasdam-1, SS Cavina-1
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM
First Mate

Default New APP: Princess

Jan Jirout has now made availble the App for Princess Cruise Ships avalilble at iTunes Store - Jan Jirout
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I looked and no where does it say it's free. It appears to be an Itune purchase, NOT free.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:56 AM
First Mate

Default Click on Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I looked and no where does it say it's free. It appears to be an Itune purchase, NOT free.
Kuki,
Go to Itune store, select Apps, Select ' ship mate'
You will be given a selection of five apps
Choose 'Celebrity as one app and under the ICON or to the right side it will show as Free.

You are correct in there has now been a change from a month ago when the first four Apps were Free.
So, you can play with 'Celebrity' App to see of its value.

One can always send an email to Jan with observations and recommendation which might be allow it to function as Free for a limited time.

UPDATE: Four of the Five Ship Mate Apps have now been updated, are not Free and are priced at $1.99.
I cannot edit my original post to reflect this pricing change for four of the five apps, the author has adjusted his original stance.

Rob

Last edited by robh; September 13th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Familiar Face

Location: Southern IN in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield

Our Ship Mate RCI was free--also we just updated it for free.

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith & Rita View Post
Our Ship Mate RCI was free--also we just updated it for free.
Thank you Keith and Rita for info
Yes, all my original Shipmate Apps on my ITouch have updated for free with a new version as UPDATES from Apple.
If you go to the store though now :o you will see the new Princess is $1.99 priced and all except for Celebrity are priced at $1.99

Cheers
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I d/l it (free) and took it on the Splendor and Paradise. It really didn't do anything for me. I found I did not want to waste my time making entries especially when I can bring my account info up on the cabin TV. A nice little app, but not not really a help in the big picture.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Familiar Face

Location: Southern IN in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Thank you Keith and Rita for info
Yes, all my original Shipmate Apps on my ITouch have updated for free with a new version as UPDATES from Apple.
If you go to the store though now :o you will see the new Princess is $1.99 priced and all except for Celebrity are priced at $1.99

Cheers
I just noticed when I updated, and without warning, all of my 15 or so contacts from our Explorer of the Seas cruise on 9/15/2011 was erased! If I had known that I would not have updated! It leaves a bad taste so I will just delete the app.
Yes, I did go to the iPhone store and saw the $1.99 charge is now for all except Celebrity. Which does seem a little odd!

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!

Last edited by Keith & Rita; September 13th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I d/l it (free) and took it on the Splendor and Paradise. It really didn't do anything for me. I found I did not want to waste my time making entries especially when I can bring my account info up on the cabin TV. A nice little app, but not not really a help in the big picture.
Snoozeman;
Lets face it , this app will not do a lot for you of all people because you are a very experienced cruiser and probably have all the deck plans and bar layouts memorized including you probably have a WiFi mini notebook.
It is easier to tuck the shipboard purchases slips in ones pocket to tally at end of day or tick off per the on-board screen account.

I've been in touch with Jan Jirout myshipmate@gmail.com and he would certainly appreciate any feedback to improve the product as he is just beginning this venture which is meant for IPhone, IPod units.

My take is this products current valued feature much like Airline Plane Seat layouts is the Cruiseline Ship layouts while most of everything else might help new cruisers on static information and be a convenient notepad.

It can grow to a good information source

Cheers /Rob

Last edited by robh; September 13th, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith & Rita View Post
I just noticed when I updated, and without warning, all of my 15 or so contacts from our Explorer of the Seas cruise on 9/15/2011 was erased! If I had known that I would not have updated! It leaves a bad taste so I will just delete the app.
Yes, I did go to the iPhone store and saw the $1.99 charge is now for all except Celebrity. Which does seem a little odd!
Sorry about your data being zapped.
I'd contact Jan Jirout at myshipmate@gmail.com and indicate your problem as he is looking for feedback to improve his product as it sounds like you were making progress.
Also all software requires user feedback to correct issues and improve the product. Even Mr Gates (the Windows Guy) product's can wipe out your contacts or cookies or favourites at times.
Cheers /Rob
myshipmate@gmail.com

Last edited by robh; September 13th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Default Reply from Jan (09/21/2010)

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to keep an eye on the different boards, it's a great way to become aware of issues and find out what other things the users might want.

I do feel bad about the contacts issue, I'll try to be more careful with updates in the future.

Jan
Jan Jirout [myshipmate@gmail.com]
-----------------------------------------------

Though I'd include Jan's reply (above) to some of the concerns expressed in this Thread.

Cheers
Rob