Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Admiral

Default Wonderful Wednesday!

Morning Mates, from another sunshiney day in Pictou County.
We're expecting another high of 24C (75F) with high humidity, and from what I hear, we are enjoying an unusually hot and beautiful summer in these parts.

I am up and outta here early today to meet up with my new boss and new assistant, to see the school and classroom where I will be working in Sept.
After that, possibly shopping for supplies, as well as food for the daily snacks.
Busy day ahead, but I'm sure I'll find some time to relax later with a book...

donna
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Good morning Donna and others to follow.

We also are having another beautiful here as well, with the temp. reaching about 85 F.

Donna enjoy your day as you prepare for your new job.

I have been retired for 14 months, but we find plenty to do everyday. It's especially nice to be retired in the summer because I get to spend a lot of time outdoors.

Have a wonderful day everybody.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Good morning from WI where it is cloudy and damp and nice and cool.

RD, I've caught up with some of your posts. How neat to see you on the beach when you aren't on a cruise!!!!! You looked like you were having so much fun with the hula hoop.

Todd, I'm glad to read that you have been enjoying some time away with Fran. I wish I could have joined you as you met up with Beenie and her family.

Henry, I see you posting. Hope you are feeling ok. My prayers are with you.

Trying to remember all the other notes, but it seems like my brain cells need a hula hoop workout too. Anyway thoughts and prayers going out for all of you.

Phyll
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone and yes, we're finally back home.

The return was "The Trip That Hell Conducted." Not having driven from Indianapolis to home in at least 30 years, I made the biggest mistake of my life.

I knew that the trip was 400 miles and would take at least 7 hours, more than 8 if you're over 60 which of course requires you to conduct an in-depth health inspection of every other bathroom facility you pass, public or private.

So I just set the old GPS for "Home" and of course it was on shortest time as opposed to shortest route.

As we left Indianapolis around 11 yesterday morning, we headed East on I-70. I said to Fran and our niece Deanna, to settle back and relax and we'd be heading South directly.

Well, we kept heading East and lo and behold there magically appeared the 75 South Interchange. I expected the GPS to direct me there but it didn't. Deanna, is the first one to admit she is "directionally challenged," substantiated by her driving around hunting for the Dr.'s office (another saga) at which she had dropped Fran and me; wondering if every corner in Indianapolis had a Steak and Shake until she realized she had been passing the same one for the past thity minutes, but I digress. Our sweet "directionally challenged" niece said, "I think we should have turned back there."

Silly girl! Here is this beautiful "directionally challenged" young lady telling me, who has a top of the line GPS mounted in front of his face as a sexy Australian female voice is saying " continue East On I-Sevhhhenty" providing directions that arose from perfectly place geo satellites high above the earth telling me I we should have taken 76 South. I chuckled.

As we passed the Welcome to the State of Pennsylvania sign, I admit as a result of at least passing my high school geography, I wondered, but at least not to the extent of the two females accompanying me who screamed, "PENNSYLVANIA??!!"

About this time Deanna texted her husband, a businessman who knows that the fastest route isn't necessarily the shortest and who would probably never question a GPS. His response was reasonable, "YOU'RE IN PENNSYLVANIA??!!!

For some reason, I was completely ostracized by the girls until we reached home somewhere at a little after 3:00am this morning. As tired as I was, I slept with one eye open and the keys to my car beside my bed. Why? Did I mention that my niece's husband owns, among several businesses, a gun store?

But all's well that ends well, right?

Prayers continue for those on the list as well as a request for Blessings upon all.

Now, I'm going after some idiot whom I guess is named Garmin.

Todd

Last edited by ToddDH; August 18th, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!!!

Todd, you are too funny!!! While I realize that the United States is not Deanna's native country. Did she and Fran really let you get all the way to Pennsylvania before realizing you might be a "little" off course? OK I am just sayin' if we ever go on a road trip together, GPS or no GPS, I am driving! I must admit given your circumstances over the past several days, you all get the "Good Sport Award". If I am gonna go get stranded or lost with someone, I would want it to be the three of you because you all seem to keep a smile on your face and your sense of humor every step of the way! I am so glad you are home though! I bet the kitties are too.

Today seems to be nice and sunny around 76 degrees right now. I just want to do a little more laundry today, do a little grocery shopping maybe go spray some round up on the back patio (have to figure out how I will do this while navigating the patio on a walker or crutches) I have less than a week until my next Doctor's appointment. I am hoping to get sprung from all these encumbrances so I can get back on this foot again soon. I really hate it. They say the second foot often is easier than the first. I hope so. I think the foot itself is doing real well, but the calf muscle cramps and contracts, I have to take the boot off and rub the knots out. The more I move the better it is.

Right now the kids are doing their spelling and things here are going well with school so far. The attitudes are not too bad, and we're not backtracking too much.

Well I am gonna grab a late breakfast of toast and a banana and get back to work. Hope you all have a great hump day!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Good morning from where it is already 85 degrees, in Virginia Beach. The weather this summer has been "from you know where". Rollerdonna, good luck with the upcoming school year. I am sure you are excited to meet your students as well as the other faculty members. Todd, so sorry to hear that you got lost! Not only am I direction challenged but I am technology challenged. My husband, who use to work in the computer industry, had no patience to teach me how to use the computer; I had to rely on one of my daughters! There is always the "trip-tics" from AAA. Not much on today's agenda. I have already been to the gym and the "dollar store" and now I am catching up on chores around the house. Hope all my cruisemates have a great day.
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good Morning cruisemates! Supposed to be seeing temps in the mid 80s in Calgary today. Weather patterns here have been very strange all summer. Yesterday was cool, today hot, then returning to chillier temps for the weekend.

Been a busy week. Yesterday I was up in the Rocky Mountains playing in a Tim Horton's (Canadians will understand) Charity Golf tournament, to raise funds for their kid's camps.

This afternoon is my golf club's member/guest tournament, so heading there shortly. Lunch, golf, dinner... and always a fun time.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Default Wonderful Wednesday

Well, I hope it's a better Wednesday than it was Tuesday. Keith and I were out doing errands. I backed my car into a brick wall and did $1000-plus damage. We're taking it back to the body shop this morning where they will remove the bumper to see if the damage was more extensive. Might have to get the insurance company involved. I am just sick about it. Honestly, sometimes I think my DH would be better off if I weren't around any more.

Todd, I enjoyed your post about the GPS. My car has one,too, but I never liked it. I think they are too distracting. I used to like the Trip-Tiks from the Auto Club, also. At least they didn't talk to you!

I need a cruise!

Judy
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
Well, I hope it's a better Wednesday than it was Tuesday. Keith and I were out doing errands. I backed my car into a brick wall and did $1000-plus damage. We're taking it back to the body shop this morning where they will remove the bumper to see if the damage was more extensive. Might have to get the insurance company involved. I am just sick about it. Honestly, sometimes I think my DH would be better off if I weren't around any more.

Todd, I enjoyed your post about the GPS. My car has one,too, but I never liked it. I think they are too distracting. I used to like the Trip-Tiks from the Auto Club, also. At least they didn't talk to you!

I need a cruise!

Judy
Oh Judy, we all do stuff like that. I can say you are far more valuable than a $1000 repair bill, and we have insurance to cover us when we do this kind of stuff. If we were all perfect, we would not need insurance. Don't be so tough on yourself. The important thing to remember is that no one was killed or injured, it is just stuff that can be fixed or replaced. No biggie sweety! You're right... you need a cruise!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from hot and sunny NY