Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Default Thoroughly Thursday!

Morning Mates, from yet another hot 'n humid day in Pictou County.
Beautiful day out there, hope I get to enjoy some of it, as I have a busy day planned.
Yesterday I visited my new school to see where I will be working, and I am happy to report it is a lovely, large open area with wall to wall windows with a very green view. I spent all day there, setting up, and then shopping for supplies - that was fun! I'm going back today to finish organizing and labeling shelves, then, I have some packing to do!

After 11 months away from "home", I am going back for a visit!
The opportunity popped up, the stars aligned, and I am going home to visit family and friends. It will be a whirlwind 3 days, but I am looking forward to it, before I am tied down to a job and routine of the next year.

Kuki, you mentioned the Tim Horton's golf tournament yesterday. The Tim's summer camp in Tatamagouche NS is just down the road from us. (OK, "down the road" is about 35 mins. away, but...) It is quite an amazing place, in a beautiful setting on the sea. I applied to work there this summer, but alas...nothing.

Todd, you made me laugh yesterday with your GPS story. Pennsylvania!
Judy, sorry about your car, and don't be so hard on yourself. It's just a car, and you are alright, and Keith needs YOU more than a car!

Well, better get moving, I've got to get to aquafitness before work today..

donna.
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!

Not much happening here today. I need to head to Lowes and get an air filter for the lawn mower and smarten up these kidlets a little bit. I think we'll work on some spelling, States and Capitals, and some math. That ought to keep us busy.

I better get on it, because time is slipping away. Hope you all have a great Thursday (Good grief it's Thursday already?) Hang in there!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Good morning Rollerdonna, Beenie Weenie (who slipped in as I was writing my post) and all who follow.

I am so glad, RD, that you are now engaged in a profession you so love and are so talented and in which you have been so successful. I predict you will soon be a "rock star" in the Pictou educational system.

My spirits are also uplifted by the knowledge that our Henry is recovering so quickly from his recent surgery.

I also quickly want to respond to your post of yesterday, Judy, in which you beat yourself up over your backing into that wall. While I'm sure that not only most of us have done something similar, we also all have had our expensively embarrassing moments. I assure you Judy, I've had more than my share!

Yesterday was a day of unpacking, doing laundry and getting back to at least a semblance of normalcy. Yesterday I took Fran to her oncology appointment. While we were away, she was bitten by probably a mosquito and as a result of her suppressed immune system, it had within 48 hours become a quarter sized patch of cellulitis (probably strep) almost identical to the one she had on her face in July. IV anti-biotics have brought it under control, thank Heavens.

I am so happy I was able to take our niece Deanna by her grandfather's grave, introduce her to cousins and friends and point out the house in which her father spent his younger years.

Two employees of Crown Hill Cemetery (the third largest in the United States), were such wonderful guys whom we asked while searching unsuccessfully for my father's grave, if they could direct us a little better than just the large general area where he and his father were buried. They not only has us follow their truck there but when I commented to Deanna that the infamous bank robber John Dillinger was also buried at Crown Hill, one of the men asked if we wanted to see that grave as well. When we said we certainly would, they whisked us right over to see it too! Not only did they save us a very significant amount of time but one even volunteered that his grandmother had once dated John Dillinger!

On the way out of town, I took her by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway so she could associate the man in whose company she had spent several hours Sunday afternoon, Tom Carnegie who was for sixty years the "Voice of the Indianapolis 500," with the place that made them both famous. Even though Deanna is 38, she is nevertheless enthralled with speed and racing (she's the girl whose husband owns the Maserati of which I've previously written) and was mesmerized by Tom's vast knowledge of the sport and the vignettes he offered. His wife instantly adopted her into their family.

And speaking of adoptions, the highlight of the entire trip was the meeting up with our own Cruisemate Beenie Weenie and her family Sunday night at which time they adopted us and we adopted them into our respective families. Beenie Weenie is exactly and I mean exactly the same wonderful person whom we all know and love and her husband and children are as well. We truly have a great family on this forum and there are so many of you whom I some day hope to meet.

One last thing. Before leaving yesterday for home and being the extremely talented young lady she is, Deanna created on her laptop a complete (with scrolling graphics, maps, music, etc.) an hilarious record of our entire journey which she is going to put on DVD.

Gotta' run and get some errands accomplished on this wet and humid Thursday not to mention I've a column to write.

Prayers continue for all those on the list accompanied by Blessings upon all!

Todd

Last edited by ToddDH; August 19th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Todd I would like to order one of those DVD's ! I too have relatives buried at Crown Hill. The kids have been asking me when they can see all of you again. Allies misses her new BFF Deanna.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Good morning from hot and sunny NY .Thank you Todd .
I've had a bit of a setback .I've been unable to do my exercises for my back because of the skin cancer surgery. I'm not supposed to do any bending or stretching .I woke up during the night in extreme pain from my back and I could barely get off the bed .I took the only pain killer I am able to use (because of other medical problems) and I am feeling better now .However I have to confer with my doctors this morning .
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

It's been a rough week after a fun weekend. I, once again, bloated out and had to go to the cardiologist and had another "diuretic diet". I lost eighteen pounds in twelve hours. It took a lot out of me but I'm feeling better today. I better be. I have a lawn to mow and a house to clean.

I better get moving and get "stuff" done.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Default Thoroughly Thursday

Good morning from hot SoCal. Seasonally, we're right on the money with high temps, humidity and mtn. and desert thunder storms.

I thank all of you for your kind thoughts about my car. Todd, "expensivley embarrassing" is, I think, the way you put it. That's exactly it! Our across-the-street neighbors have a low brick wall where the attched garage is. He says he's hit it three times in the couple of years they've lived there. Now he has one of those vehicles with a backup camera on it. Today we should find out what the extent of the damage is on my car.

A small pile of ironing awaits me which I will take care of before it gets to hot.

Donna, I'm glad you get to go visit.
Mike, I hope ou're feeling better today.
Henry, I hope you're doing better today, as well.
BW, happy teaching and happy recovering.

Judy
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from where it has been raining, all day, in Virginia Beach. This morning I went to the dentist and had a tooth cleaning, then it was on to the grocery store, and finally, back home where i caught up on ironing and made lunch for Rob. In the middle of all that I bought some shares of stock with the cash I had left in my brokerage account. (today was a buying day for all you market fans). Rollerdonna, glad to hear that you are setting up your classroom, Todd, so sorry to hear that Fran got bitten by a misquito (ouch), and Henry, may you have no more setbacks and are on the road to recovery. Hope all of my fellow cruisemates have nothing but "SUNSHINE" in their life!
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Thank you ,Balabusta