Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Default The Greatest Inspirational Songs

Freedom -Richie Havens

If I Had A Hammer-Odetta
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Admiral

I don't know if you would classify this as "inspirational", but it is one of the most beautiful, touching, soul-rendering songs I have ever heard.
The artist is Don Conoscenti, out of Taos New Mexico, and he first introduced this song on the John Edward show "Crossing Over".
For anyone who has ever lost a loved one, it is most comforting....

YouTube - the other side

donna
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Admiral

I Believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly

Up Where We Belong by Joe Cocker and I forget the female singer's name
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Admiral

one more..the theme from Rocky (Eye of the Tiger)..I actually got to jamm with Jim Peterik (who wrote the song and won the Grammy) on the Smooth Music Cruise last April and got to sing with him on his hit 70's song "Vehicle"...it was awesome (him not me)
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Admiral

You Raise Me Up. I am fond of both the Josh Groban and Paul Potts versions. The Celtic Women version is also stunning.
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Cruising by Smokey Robinson..it always inspires when I play it the night I am packing for my cruise
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Admiral

"It is Well With my Soul"

Here's a little history on the origin of the song and its composer Horatio Spafford from It Is Well With My Soul - A Hymn and its History

"This hymn was written by a Chicago lawyer, Horatio G. Spafford. You might think to write a worship song titled,
'It is well with my soul', you would indeed have to be a rich, successful Chicago lawyer. But the words,
"When sorrows like sea billows roll ... It is well with my soulĒ, were not written during the happiest period of
Spafford's life. On the contrary, they came from a man who had suffered almost unimaginable personal tragedy.

Horatio G. Spafford and his wife, Anna, were pretty well-known in 1860ís Chicago. And this was not just because
of Horatio's legal career and business endeavors. The Spaffords were also prominent supporters and close
friends of D.L. Moody, the famous preacher. In 1870, however, things started to go wrong. The Spaffords' only
son was killed by scarlet fever at the age of four. A year later, it was fire rather than fever that struck. Horatio
had invested heavily in real estate on the shores of Lake Michigan. In 1871, every one of these holdings was
wiped out by the great Chicago Fire.

Aware of the toll that these disasters had taken on the family, Horatio decided to take his wife and four
daughters on a holiday to England. And, not only did they need the rest -- DL Moody needed the help. He was
traveling around Britain on one of his great evangelistic campaigns. Horatio and Anna planned to join Moody in
late 1873. And so, the Spaffords traveled to New York in November, from where they were to catch the French
steamer 'Ville de Havre' across the Atlantic. Yet just before they set sail, a last-minute business development
forced Horatio to delay. Not wanting to ruin the family holiday, Spafford persuaded his family to go as planned.
He would follow on later. With this decided, Anna and her four daughters sailed East to Europe while Spafford
returned West to Chicago. Just nine days later, Spafford received a telegram from his wife in Wales. It read:
"Saved alone."

On November 2nd 1873, the 'Ville de Havre' had collided with 'The Lochearn', an English vessel. It sank in only
12 minutes, claiming the lives of 226 people. Anna Spafford had stood bravely on the deck, with her daughters
Annie, Maggie, Bessie and Tanetta clinging desperately to her. Her last memory had been of her baby being
torn violently from her arms by the force of the waters. Anna was only saved from the fate of her daughters by a
plank which floated beneath her unconscious body and propped her up. When the survivors of the wreck had
been rescued, Mrs. Spafford's first reaction was one of complete despair. Then she heard a voice speak to her,
"You were spared for a purpose." And she immediately recalled the words of a friend, "It's easy to be grateful
and good when you have so much, but take care that you are not a fair-weather friend to God."

Upon hearing the terrible news, Horatio Spafford boarded the next ship out of New York to join his bereaved
wife. Bertha Spafford (the fifth daughter of Horatio and Anna born later) explained that during her father's
voyage, the captain of the ship had called him to the bridge. "A careful reckoning has been made", he said, "and
I believe we are now passing the place where the de Havre was wrecked. The water is three miles deep." Horatio
then returned to his cabin and penned the lyrics of his great hymn.

The words which Spafford wrote that day come from 2 Kings 4:26. They echo the response of the Shunammite
woman to the sudden death of her only child. Though we are told "her soul is vexed within her", she still
maintains that 'It is well." And Spafford's song reveals a man whose trust in the Lord is as unwavering as hers
was.

It would be very difficult for any of us to predict how we would react under circumstances similar to those
experienced by the Spaffords. But we do know that the God who sustained them would also be with us.

No matter what circumstances overtake us may we be able to say with Horatio Spafford..."

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

BW That was beautiful

The song that comes to mind for me, is "You'll Never Walk Alone" It Kept me sane these last 2 years.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Beginner

Here is mine favourite inspiration song is :
There's A Place In
Your Heart
And I Know That It Is Love
And This Place Could
Be Much
Brighter Than Tomorrow
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Admiral

How Great Thou Art

"SKY"
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Admiral

More:

Hallellulah -Leonard Cohen
America The Beautiful
I Ain't Marchin Anymore-Phil Ochs
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood.

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
Iíd worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

Iíd thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
Ď Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they canít take that away.

And Iím proud to be an American,
where at least I know Iím free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
Ď Cause there ainít no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That Iím proud to be an American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

And Iím proud to be and American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Admiral

...or Hallelujah by kd lang.....

donna
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Admiral

I don't know if any of you remember Kate Smith's rendition of "God Bless America". Yes, I am dating myself!
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Default Kate Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by balabusta View Post
I don't know if any of you remember Kate Smith's rendition of "God Bless America". Yes, I am dating myself!
I remember her but todays youth have no idea about her
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Kate Smith!!! Yeah, you are dating yourself. I remeber it, but I was in the womb

Seriously - that big voice broadway style is really pretty passe now. But it was a "showstopper" backin her day - just like Sheely Winters okayed the child-age temptress in the original "Lolita."

If you remember that you are showing your age. I was old enough to hear about it, but I certainly didnt get. And by time I was, Shelley Winters was no longers considered "hot stuff" by any means.
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

He by Al Hibler
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Admiral

There are many, but for this group how about HOT HOT HOT! Mike
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Kate Smith!!! Yeah, you are dating yourself. I remeber it, but I was in the womb

Seriously - that big voice broadway style is really pretty passe now. But it was a "showstopper" backin her day - just like Sheely Winters okayed the child-age temptress in the original "Lolita."

If you remember that you are showing your age. I was old enough to hear about it, but I certainly didnt get. And by time I was, Shelley Winters was no longers considered "hot stuff" by any means.
Paul,

Kim Lyon played the title character, of the teenage temptress, in "Lolita". Shelley Winters played the mother. Even in 1962 Shelley was into mother roles but she was quite the bombshell before she discovered carbohydrates.

In regard to inspirational songs I would have to agree with you on Lee Greenwood's "Proud to Be an American".

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me