Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising and the Internet

I had lunch today with 2 "lost" friends from HS .One mentioned that he loves to cruise .He and his wife do at least 4 cruises a year .I told him about CM and suggested that he come and share his cruising experiences .He said the only time he uses the computer is to e-mail and to do occasional research .

I found that interesting .
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Sometimes I agree with him, these forums are real timewasters & while I have "met" some really nice people there are some real weirdos out there.
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Sometimes I agree with him, these forums are real timewasters & while I have "met" some really nice people there are some real weirdos out there.
For many the internet, and forums such as these are a real lifeline... the internet can create a "social life" for those who for various reasons may not go out much, or may not know alot of other people.

For cruisers who don't use sites like CruiseMates, they are getting old news. Magazine articles regarding cruising are at least 6 months out of date when they publish.

Because of CruiseMates and similar sites the public generally knows about any types of incidents or occurances onboard ships within minutes of them occurring.

For reviews of ships one might be considering, the typical guidebooks are one again almost out of date before they publish. Not that they are bad, or may not stand up, but current user reviews are much easier to find on the Internet.

Cruisers not using the Internet for cruise research prior to choosing their cruise are at a disadvantage. They may not even know about recent cruise line changes in their policies before they board.

Any in depth coverage of the industry takes a considerable amount of time before it even hits print media like newspapers. I've met journalists on press trips who've told me their assigned article to cover a ship won't be appearing for a month or more, while I'm writing them live from the ship.

I've also been able to meet literally HUNDREDS of people from CruiseMates, and become very good friends with many, who'd I'd like never have met on a ship. I became very good friends with a couple (who've since visited us in our home) who we found out we'd been on the same ship with, on the same sailing, and we hadn't met. Without the time spent on CruiseMates, we wouldn't have all the wonderful memories we made with only that one connection... let alone all the others.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

I should copy and paste this and e-mail it to him
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Admiral

I've learned an awful lot from this site, including how to use a computer, post pictures, make an avatar, a countdown clock, and everything there is to know about cruising - not to mention making some great friends along the way. Thank goodness for CruiseMates - I recommend to everybody I talk to about cruising!

donna
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Admiral

I recommend it to people too but thus far 2 have joined ,one solely lurks and one posted twice
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

CruiseMates has created a great cruiser group here in Florida. We all go to the dinners that Ray organises and so many of us have become great friends. I enjoy it a lot.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 26th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Approximately 30 alum of my high school graduating class meet once a month in florida to go out to dinner .They include visitors .

At age 67+ I have yet to set foot in florida ,amazing isn't it ?
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Banned
Captain

quote Rollerdonna > "I've learned an awful lot from this site, including how to use a computer, post pictures, make an avatar, a countdown clock, and everything there is to know about cruising "

Important life skills, every one of them.
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tennille View Post
quote Rollerdonna > "I've learned an awful lot from this site, including how to use a computer, post pictures, make an avatar, a countdown clock, and everything there is to know about cruising "

Important life skills, every one of them.
I made a damn good living with those "life skills".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Banned
Captain

thats a good one, mike
especially the cruising one....
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Sorry It's just how I'm.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994