Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Default Sunday Surprises

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Well it is a beautiful day in the neighborhood. I have already been to the grocery store this morning...not sure why d/h didn't pick this stuff up last night when he went on an ice cream run, but never the less we were out of half & half and I find it very hard to enjoy coffee without it. I thought I might also pick up the other stuff on the grocery list d/h had made as well, so we won't have to make a 3rd trip in 24 hours lol.

I did have quite a surprise and not a pleasant one. I noticed a patch of little red bumps sprouting on my left side day before yesterday, I figured I had gotten bit by something, so put some cortisone on it and forgot about it, I had also felt kind of run down and tired, like when I was a teenager and came down with Mononucleosis. Then a low grade fever, chills at night. I also was feeling very achy in my ribs and chest, I figured that was my body protesting the use of crutches. Then yesterday morning I was walking past the mirror and figured I would see if my little bumps were gone. Oh quite the contrary, they went from little red bumps to big angry red bumps, and I quietly said "Oh CRAP! I have shingles" Seriously I need this like I need a case of the ______ (fill in the blank with the venereal disease of your choice). So I left the house bright and early to hang at the ER 25 miles away. A few hours and a $100 later I returned home with prednisone and an antiviral. Anyhow, I am happy I caught it early, and I am now on the mend. It is not terribly painful, as some folks really suffer for ages from this. I think the fatigue was the worst part for me and I am already feeling a little better, I was ready to get out of bed at 5:00 this a.m. with no ill affects.

Well I better go hop in the tub and get cleaned up. I need to get to church a little early today to get things set up for the teen's class I am helping with today. Hope you all have a great Sunday.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Good morning Matess

Beenie, I hope that you feel better quickly and thr red bumps go away.

I was up early myself and have watered the garden.

After our morning activities we will go to see my mom and spend the afternoon with her.

I wish you all a pleasant sunday.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Admiral

GEEEEZZZE Beenie,,,I hate when that happens. I had shingles when I was about 30 years old, and remember it as being painful even then, when I was young and strong,,,,,like bull! Sure glad you caught it early,,and maybe it won't be so bad.
Not much going on around here today. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) is still in bed, and I'm taking care of all the critters, and drinking my first cup of "Joe". We're still waiting for the "clips" to arrive for my American Standard stainless kitchen sink, but of course they won't come today (Sunday) so that means I get a day off from the "honey do" projects. Think I'll just take it easy today, and enjoy life!
Hope all my "Mates" are well, and enjoying the day as well.

"SKY"
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Morning Mates,
Geez Beenie, it doesn't rain but it pours! Shingles is no laughing matter, but you're lucky you caught it early and will probably avoid it at it's worst.
My hubby had it about a year ago, and didn't listen to me when I told him what I thought it was. Waited too long to see a Dr. and he suffered the consequences....

Well, it's another beautiful day in this neighbourhood too! I plan to enjoy it!
Yesterday I spent the afternoon at the beach, lying in the sun, listening to the waves and pretending I was in the Caribbean. The water is not exactly the same colour, but if you close your eyes.....

Our neighbour with the tractor cut our grass yesterday, so I guess I will have to get out there with the weed whacker and do the trimming....then maybe I will go back to the beach!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
Beenie, hope you're feeling better soon, and Todd, hoe Fran is doing better today too.

donna
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Captain

It looks to be another beautiful day in the neighborhood here. The sun is shinning with temps to make it to around 90. I have been a golf widow this weekend as D/H and his golf buddies are in Lexington, Ky. for their annual outing. I must say I have kind of enjoyed my alone time. I managed to spend most of yesterday getting several office items done that I needed to do. I watched the grandaughter play her soccer game which they lost but had fun playing. Also managed to give the dog a good bath before noon! Spent last evening working on a powerpoint presentation while it was quiet. Today I slept in until 7:30 which is odd for me. I am going to spend today getting the motorhome cleaned up from it's trip to the NASCAR race in Bristol our kids did. We are heading out next weekend so I want it to be clean. That will probably take most of the day! Since there is no race this weekend I will have the time.
BW- sorry to hear about the singles! Hope you have got it early to keep it from getting worse. Glad you are getting around better with the foot.

Everyone have a great day. Prayers continue for all those in need.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Good morning from hot and sunny NY .It may hit 95 today .We are going to Brooklyn ,NY today to visit relatives and if I am able to a walk on the Coney Island boardwalk.
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Good morning from a beautiful, 71 degrees, in Virginia Beach. BeenWeenie, sorry about the red bumps. As for shingles; it is recommended that those 60 years or above go to their doctor to get a shot of Zostofax (not sure of the spelling). When I worked for another market research company, I did a survey for the U.S. Department of Health and learned a lot about shingles. Shingles can be caused by a latent reaction to a childhood sickness like the measles. Shingles can be easily avoided if older americans get the shot. A warning; shingles can occur in younger adults. A friend's son had shingles at twenty-eight!
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Default Sunday Surprises

Good morning from an overcast Southern CA. So nice to get a reprieve from the heat.

BW, I had shingles when I was a kid living in Minneapolis. Can't remember what they did for it then, and I don't remember feeling tired and achy. But then I was only seven or eight. I'm glad you caught it early.

Keith didn't have to go out to Riverside again today, so we will have our usual quiet Sunday with coffee and the papers, etc.

Have a good day!

Judy
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon all. It is another hot one today with the high around 90-92 here in upper East Tennessee.

I too am so glad B/W, that you got the shingles under control right away. Fran is susceptible to them because of her depressed immune system but alas, people on chemo can't have the shot and I don't believe anyone with cancer should either.

Just time for a quick note. I'm Nurse Todd as well as chief cook, bottle washer and launderer today. Following a rough night last night when her fever went back up to 101.5, it's pretty much stayed in the 99.9 - 100.8 bracket today. Still giving her Extra Strength Tylenol every six hours and her 500 mg Levaquin in the morning. That is high powered stuff yet after being on it two days, she is still running a fever. I can't wait until the morning when I can call her oncologist.

Did three loads of laundry this morning, then went up to the store to fetch a new thermometer. The other one is so old the battery has to be going. So I got one of those Braun ear thermometers that go for 50 bucks as well as a cheap oral 5.99 jobbie to use when traveling. No matter what I did with the Braun, within four minutes we got four different readings... all of them wrong (98.4, 98.6, 98.2 and 98.5). The other two oral thermometers (both the old and the new registered identical temperatures on three separate occasions within three minutes (99.8, 99.8 and 99.8). Later I even tried again with the Braun because the ear type are so quick (about three seconds) and I so badly wanted it to work. This time it was 97.8 while there was a little variance in the other two (99.8 and 99.9). I just wouldn't be able to trust the Braun so back it goes in the morning. You also can tell just by looking at Fran that she has a temp but if that's not enough, I just have to touch her forehead (and often just her cheeks).

Now I gotta' get in and peel some potatoes and get some salad fixin's cut up. It's gonna' be an easy supper, that's for sure; a tossed salad, roast l;emon pepper chicken (maybe in the oven as I just don't feel like getting out the rotisserie but we'll see - it'll probably end up being the rotisserie ), roasted potatoes and Turnip greens. I so hope Fran will eat. You know the old adage, "Starve a cold....Feed a fever."

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday afternoon/evening and a great start to the work week tomorrow.

Of course prayers for those on the list continue nightly as well as a request for Blessings upon all.

Todd
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
First Mate

Cool here , little boy had his scarf and hat on today as it was 9C when we woke up (My wife calls our Lee Valley Weather Unit display that name).
I just smile..

My twin is visiting us today from Alberta and we all went off to Church though he had to check his Lottery ticket at the 7-eleven on the way.
Well what ever it takes...

Now at 16c, might be warmer
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/