Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Default Fran update 31 Aug 10

Hopefully, this will be the last update for awhile.

We went to the Oncologist today and he doesn't seem to think that whatever is going on has to do with her Leukemia or Lymphoma and that is a huge relief.

That being said, there is definitely a problem and a strange one. My wife is in and out of a fever throughout any twenty-four hour period. She awakens feeling very badly but in the middle of the day the fever disappears for two or three hours and she'll feel somewhat better during that period. Today before we left for the oncologist, it was 100.7. When they took it 45 minutes later it was 98.7. As of a half hour ago it hasn't gone back up. This is I think the longest she's gone without registering a fever since she started getting sick a week ago.

I have a theory though. She takes her Levaquin once a day in the morning. Midmorning she doesn't register a temp then early afternoon it returns. Yesterday it didn't register a fever for three hours. Today, thus far it's been five hours. I'm thinking that for the first few days the Levaquin was just running out of gas by afternoon but after each subsequent dose it's building it's efficacy. At least I hope that's what it is. It certainly is a conundrum at this stage.

We were thrilled and greatly relieved that Fran's lab reports were good again this week, that's why we're not worrying as much about the cancer. Also he detected no sounds of pneumonia which is also good. She has her next chemo on Tuesday and the following week on Wednesday is going to have her CT scan so we'll know then where she stands with her CLL and SCL.

Also, it's not lost on me that she felt really bad with her 2nd bout of cellulites in three weeks for which she took IV meds. I'm sure that beat the heck out of her already debilitated system. BTW, I laughed when I happened to reread an earlier post where I wrote "....depressed immune system." "WE" were depressed, but her immune system was suppressed.

Anyhow Fran's continuing on her Levaquin until the cycle is completed and we're hoping that she'll continue to improve as the days progress. In any event he's having her record all of her temperatures.

Thank you again gals and guys for your love and support, both of which are so vital under such circumstances as those we're currently experiencing.

TDH (and his faithful companion, Fran)
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Better news, not meaning to trivialise things but her temperature rises couldn't be the dreaded Hot Flushes I suppose??
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Admiral

No John, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

Todd
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Todd,
That has to give you some relief. I know I feel a little better.

One word on Levaquin (OK more than one word...)... this is a very powerful drug, while it can kill major bacterial bugs it can also wreak havoc with muscle tissue, make you depressed, feel run down and cause fevers, diminish appetite. I wonder if there isn't another antibiotic that will work on the same type bacteria, without so many side effects. I have taken it before myself and it left me feeling like a wet rag. I think you have hit the nail on the head!

Hang in there buddy, we're all pulling for you two!

Read and post cruise reviews

Last edited by beenie weenie; August 31st, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Todd, today's news is somewhat of a relief. Sounds like you have all the bases covered and are taking things one day at a time.

As for hot flashes, I have tried taking my temperature during a hot flash, thinking I must be burning up, but alas, no temp...just melting like the Wicked Witch of the West!

donna
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default Fran Update 31 Aug 10

Todd, while it's not perfect news, it's a lot better than it could have been. Maybe BW's right. I hope you will ask the oncologist soon about that med.

All the best to both of you!

Judy
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Todd for the update today,
Was thinking about you both today, may-be that is just a reaction to the meds and when Fran finishes this cycle, that too will go away.

Just keep us posted on the progress...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I hope she does better every day .I must on Levaquan (same RX ? )and it had a lot of side effects .I was taking 750mg each dose
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Every little gain is a gift from God. Prayers and good wishes continue from here.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 31st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Good news! I'm keeping you both in my prayers .

Beenie, very interesting info about Levaquin. RD, I've taken my temp during my "own private summer", too, and was amazed that it was 97.8 :o!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:08 AM
Captain

Another step forward! Sounds like the Drs and you have things under control. Just praying that Fran continues to improve daily.

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on things.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Todd.............glad to hear some good news about Fran.........even tho it isn't totally good.......hope she's feeling better......I know about the 'depressed' immune system........it can get to ya.......

Hope she's feeling much chipper today..........

Sharon
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Todd, I haven't checked in here for the last week or so, but I'm so glad to hear that overall, Fran is improving. I like your conclusions about the meds she is on, and I hope that is exactly what is going on. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Phyll
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Admiral

That is better news on the labs. I'm glad to hear it. I take drugs (Avonex) to suppress my immune system. If I get a bug bite it can turn into cellulitis on me. It's happened twice so far. Once on my leg and once on my arm. The lump gets huge!! I hope she is feel better then before. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:46 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Todd - I am wondering since Fran is on Levaquin; does she have a super infection somewhere that is asymptomatic (without symptoms except for the occasional fever?) Levaquin is one of those drugs that can kill the bacteria that it is supposed to, but also kills other bacteria that the body needs to suppress other infections. Could she have an asymptomatic urinary tract infection or something like that? Apparently I have had dozens of undiagnosed, asymptomatic UTI's over the years that have cause kidney stones. Just a thought from a concerned friend and nurse.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Fran is moving in the "right direction". Thank God for that. Hang in there Todd. It's going to get better.

Ken
"SKY"
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

still praying Todd... also sending much love to you and Fran
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link