Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Default Saturday and We're Still Waiting on Earl....

Morning Mates, I'm still online, we still have power, and we haven't even seen a drop of rain yet. However, the wind is definitely picking up and a wonderful breeze is coming through the house this morning. Last night I stayed up till 1:00 waiting for something to happen, then closed all the windows just in case, but nothing all night.

I'm hearing reports of heavy rain and high winds all along the coastal areas in the south of Nova Scotia; Halifax, Digby, Yarmouth, Lunenburg. Here, in the northeast we are expected to get winds up to 130 km/h.

So far, the wind is no worse than an average windy day in the province, but I'm sure it will get worse as the day goes on.
We're hunkering down for a quiet day indoors, and relishing in the fact that there is AIR passing through for the first time in over a week!

Will keep you posted...as long as I have internet and/or power....we've just lost satellite TV......

donna
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny NY .Earl totally passed us by .We hope that everyone else on this site as well as others are spared the possible wrath of this storm .

Today my family and extended family will be having a birthday party for my BDW who will be .. on tuesday .
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Good morning. Donna I heard this morning that Earl has been downgraded but that NS would still be getting a direct hit. Stay safe.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default Saturday and We're Still Waiting on Earl . . .

Good morning. The sun is just shining in the family room window as I type. And again, I must say, "It's gonna be a hot one."

Keith just settled in with the paper. He, of course, will go to Riverside. I hope he doesn't melt, or worse, in those triple digit temps they'll get out there.

Sounds like everybody will come through Earl's wrath with no problems. Great! Keep us posted if you have electric power.

Judy
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!

Wow I slept so good last night. It feels so good to get off of the steroids, and as they leave my system I am feeling so much better than I was yesterday and the day before.

I woke up this morning with some foot pain and swelling, the good news it was in the foot that had not had surgery yet. The foot which has been fixed is feeling and looking pretty good. What a difference in one short month.

I spoke to my Mother in Law last night. She is getting acclimated to being back home once more. She has worked so hard and I am so happy to see her reach such a huge milestone in her recovery.

I'm hoping to hear some positive reports from Todd and Fran this morning...

Take care all. Donna glad to hear you're getting some relief from Earl.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Captain

Good morning from my Motorhome in Northern Ohio. It is a cool and windy morning here but it is nice to not be sweltering in the heat we've had. We had a nice trip here and this is a beautiful campground. Danced last night and this morning with lots of good friends. The guys are off to play some golf and I am heading out with the girls to do some serious shopping here in Amish country. I'm sure a good meal is in the plans for lunch at one of the great resturants in the area.
RD you stay safe from the wind. Hope you don't loose your power.
BW, glad you slept good last night but sorry you are having foot pain.

Todd, hope Fran is doing ok today.

Prayers continue for all those in need. Have a great weekend.

Old September 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning everyone from Texas where the sun is out, but not as hot as usual.

It is good to see that all of you have survived Earl. Donna, I hope you and James do as well.

Sue, Every time I go to the Amish shopping area, I intend to get a quilt, but have not found one yet. Have fun today shopping.

BW When is your next surgery? You sure have had a tough time with this foot thing. Take care of yourself.

Today the floor is being put down. It is going to be so pretty. I found marble that is white, but has rose color in it.

We had a small medical emergency this morning. I woke up with Josh calling me, and when I went to the bathroom, there was blood all over the floor. Not something you want to see, half asleep. He is fine now, and all is well.

I hope all of you have a good weekend.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Default Hurrican Update

Just thought I'd check in after 3:30 pm and let you know I survived my first hurricane.
The worst seems to be over, between 1-3 pm was the worst. The winds were horrendous, the whole house shook, and I've never seen so much rain.
We have some broken branches, lost a panel out of the screen room, and the rose trellis blew over ripping out the planter at its base as well, but other than that, no serious damage done.
It's still blowing, which is bringing a nice breeze into the house now that we can open windows again, but it is still hot and humid. Hoping it will cool off tonight.
All I got to say is, I'm glad I was not at sea during that storm! :o

donna
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Good Afternnon everyone!

As are we all, I too am relived that while Earl twirled, it was far enough off the coase to mitigate the damage. Now we all wait to hear the "overseas" report from Pictou.

It has been a beautiful day here in upper East Tennessee with a current afternoon temp of 75 F. Today certainly has to qualify as one of the year's "Ten Best."

Thank you all for asking about Fran. She is feeling better today but then she was fine yesterday until yesterday evening. It seems she runs completely out of gas and the temperature returns in the early evening. During the day is usually disappears entirely. Her's is really a very strange situation and it's beginning to tell on her in an overal physical manner, not to mention an increase in her bouts of depression. I don't know whether to fear her completing her course of Levaquin (one 500 mg pill daily) on Monday or look forward to it. Time will tell.

Started the lawn yesterday evening and when it started to rain (turned out a very little) stopped and then finished it this morning and then washed the car.

Fran's taking an afternoon nap and then she wants to go to do a little shopping and if she feels up to it, go to Johnson City to the Chinese Buffet where I'll make a serious attack on the steamed crab legs. But I have to be back in time to watch the boys run in the Nationwide race this evening at Atlanta.

Isn't it true, Beenie Weenie, that just when you get one medical problem solves, another pops up? I'm sure you'll be so very glad when you get your other foot attended to. I'm still searching for the restful kind of night you enjoyed last night.

Luanne, it's a lot of work and mess for you and Jim, but when the house gets completed just think of how beautiful it's going to be. Your marble tile floor will be gorgeous. Please think of posting some pictures of the finished product. Glad it wasn't anything really serious with Josh.

Isn't it nice not to be baking in the heat, Sue? Hope you find a tasty Amish restaurant as you not only are filled to the brim but everything's homemade to boot.

Nancy, is it hot and steamy in Florida or are you'uns finally getting some drier weather?

Judy, I don't think I could take the triple digits after almost an entire summer in the low to upper nineties. 'Reckon you folks are used to it.

Prayers and Blessings continue along with wishes for a wonderful remainder to the extended Labor Day holiday weekend!

Todd
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Lots to be thankful for in these last two posts!!! Good news all the way around!

As for my old dogs... I am not complaining or feeling sorry myself at all and I am happy to report that me having sore feet is not a new problem. It is just the same old problem. But I am kind of laughing to myself in wonder that the foot which had surgery just a month ago is already in better shape than the non-surgical foot. I am feeling pretty good in spite of low energy levels today. We took the kids to their music lessons, grabbed a few odds and ends at Walmart, then went out to the chinese buffet to the only place within 40 miles that has sushi and stuff the kids will eat, they also have now added a delightful chocolate fountain to dip fresh fruit in. It was nice not to have to mess with cooking lunch.

I just got done riding my bike down the nature trail which is about 1/5 mile from our house. I thought it would help loosen up the surgical foot without putting too much stress on the other foot. It worked well and I didn't crash and burn, but I am certain that the seat on my bicycle has definitely shrunk and it may be time to buy a new larger one!

Old September 4th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi all! rd's sister here...she just called from her cell phone and it seems they lost power after all. Since their water runs on a well run by electricity, they have no water either! She said power might be out for 24 to 48 hrs, so if you don't hear from her, not to worrry, she's fine..just in the dark! will let you know if i hear from her again!