Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Good books for fall cruisers

So, before we know it, the leaves will be turning,and the temps will fall! One bright thing for many of us, is, the cruises we booked way back when are almost here...

So what good books can you suggest for all the Cruisemates who, relish, a good book by the pool. I just finished Private, by James Patterson[ok] I just began Justice in June, really good, by Barbara Levensen. Her first one, Fatal February was great as well....

For my Epic Cruise, I think I will get Stuart Woods new ones,for my Kindle. He is such a good read, from page one, I love to take them along on cruises..A few Patterson novels on hold at the library, may be mine in time to take along as well!

So,what good page turner can you suggest?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; September 5th, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Admiral

there will be time to read on the CM Epic cruise :: ::

I will be on the Carnival Liberty Capital Smooth Jazz cruise the week before and I have just pre-ordered "The Warmth of Other Suns" by Isabel Wilkerson about the story of the Great Migration from the South to the North during the 1930's and 40's ..the fun part is I won't need my MP3 player for the week because I will have live entertainment on the pool deck during the day while I'm reading this book
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Admiral

I am a devotee of Archer Mayor .I highly recommend any of his novels .
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am finishing up on the "Cove" by Catherine Coulter. It was her first, so it was I think .50 for my Kindle. I have the whole series marked, so I can read them in order. It is really good, and I like her writing style.

I agree Trip about Stuart Woods. It doesn't get much better than that.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Default Good Books for Fall Cruisers

Stuart Woods is the best! I have just begun a new Faye Kellerman book, "Hangman." I also like Susan Isaacs.

Judy
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Have you read a book, that has stayed with you for years? I have....

Thirty eight years ago, Tuesday, I had a baby..[I know, hard to believe ]while in the hospital, due to the high Jewish holidays, I had but a few visitors...Someone gave me a magazine, and, in it there was a book review. When I got home I went to the library,& got it. For the next few days, I had a baby in one hand, and, a book in the other. That's how interesting it was, and, why I remember it so many years later.

Will There Really be a Morning, was a biography of Frances Farmer, a movie star from the 40's. Her life was so turbulant it was unreal, and alot had to do with her Mother. Maybe because I just had a baby,that it may such an impression on me..How could a Mom be so horrible. The odd thing is,at the end of the book, it said, Frances passed away, on the birthday of my first born!

Last edited by Trip; September 5th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Admiral

I love reading about Frances Farmer. Thanks to her, laws were changed about commiting someone without just cause. She truely lived a sad life, that did not have to be.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Admiral

the movie was so awesome..Jessica Lange that portrayed her ?
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Luanne, I think you are the first person I know of who, either read the book, or knew who she was

Old September 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Just started "Cruise Confidential" pretty good so far...an insight!
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Default Count Down Cruise Rituals !!!

Since alot of the regular posters will be going on the Epic cruise on Halloween (10.30) and I will be on my Smooth Jazz cruise the week before (10.23), I was curious what are everyone's pre cruise ritual..mine is as follows
60 days out (08.23) - start my diet ritual..stop eating bread,deserts, eat more yogurt, fish vegetables, fresh fruit, step up my exercise regiment (goal is to lose 3/4 lb per week or 8lbs) and never eat anything past 6 pm (drink alot of water after 6 pm)
45 days out (09.07) - try on all my cruise clothes to see what is tight and make a list of what I may have to purchase
30 days out (09.23) - when the promoter releases booking # etc for Carnival, so I'll book my exercusions, spa etc..make sure I download the most recent music of the artist onboard and have their CD covers for autographs
21 days out (10.02)- go shopping for my theme night outfits and purchase a new suit and shirt/tie that is color coordinated with my cabin mate's formal dress (we men have it easy, a nice black suit with shirt/tie to match her's-she will pick out my shirt/tie)..make sure dress shoes are shined and purchase new pair of sneakers
14 days out (10.9)-start packing
7 days out (10.16)- charge up camera etc. let neighbors know when I'm going, make sure I have all documents
2 days out (10.21) -unpack 1/2 of what I packed, get cash, notify credit card company, double check my documents
1 day out (10.22) fly to Miami and go to kick off party
Cruise Day (10.23) - up at 5 am for my morning walk down to the pier with my camera to take pictures of the Carnival Liberty as the sun rises..we have our ritual pre cruise breakfast at this great little Cuban diner and then to the ship

how do you prepare ?
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Just started "Cruise Confidential" pretty good so far...an insight!
John, It's pretty good, but takes liberties with some of the facts. There is another out called "The Truth About Cruise Ships" by Jay Herring. I have not read it, but it is waiting on my Kindle. Once you read CC, you will never look at the net over the swimming pool again, without a thought of what it has done.

Trip, I belong to another web site, (not cruising) and we do nothing but discuss people from the past who had, let's say, interesting lives.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Since alot of the regular posters will be going on the Epic cruise on Halloween (10.30) and I will be on my Smooth Jazz cruise the week before (10.23), I was curious what are everyone's pre cruise ritual..mine is as follows
60 days out (08.23) - start my diet ritual..stop eating bread,deserts, eat more yogurt, fish vegetables, fresh fruit, step up my exercise regiment (goal is to lose 3/4 lb per week or 8lbs) and never eat anything past 6 pm (drink alot of water after 6 pm)
45 days out (09.07) - try on all my cruise clothes to see what is tight and make a list of what I may have to purchase
30 days out (09.23) - when the promoter releases booking # etc for Carnival, so I'll book my exercusions, spa etc..make sure I download the most recent music of the artist onboard and have their CD covers for autographs
21 days out (10.02)- go shopping for my theme night outfits and purchase a new suit and shirt/tie that is color coordinated with my cabin mate's formal dress (we men have it easy, a nice black suit with shirt/tie to match her's-she will pick out my shirt/tie)..make sure dress shoes are shined and purchase new pair of sneakers
14 days out (10.9)-start packing
7 days out (10.16)- charge up camera etc. let neighbors know when I'm going, make sure I have all documents
2 days out (10.21) -unpack 1/2 of what I packed, get cash, notify credit card company, double check my documents
1 day out (10.22) fly to Miami and go to kick off party
Cruise Day (10.23) - up at 5 am for my morning walk down to the pier with my camera to take pictures of the Carnival Liberty as the sun rises..we have our ritual pre cruise breakfast at this great little Cuban diner and then to the ship

how do you prepare ?
Actually I am attempting to "Spit Polish" my Oxford dress shoes now!!
Venice, what can we expect from ''N'orlins'' as we are there two days & what sort of weather conditions are usual in Janurary?
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Default Faye Kellerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
Stuart Woods is the best! I have just begun a new Faye Kellerman book, "Hangman." I also like Susan Isaacs.

Judy

2 of my favorite authors: Faye and Jonathan Kellerman .I have every one of their books .One of Faye's earlier books had as its plot the area of NY that I grew up in .
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Do you guys read more in the winter than you do in the summer, or the other way around?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Admiral

sorry about that posting..I've been having computer problems so it should have been a new thread

the weather in January is actually pretty nice..temps in the 60's and 70's..good time to be here
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

I used to read more in the summer,when we had all reruns on tv...now I have shows to watch, so, I read equally all year long. I try to have a book going at all times,and sometimes my stack of to read books get high.

I have a couple of shelves with books, I have not read yet...I hope to change that before I forget they are there I have downsized my personal library, donating many to the library. Even with new books I may buy, once I read them, I now donate them...

Old September 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Admiral

I read mostly in the winter. One of my favorite things to do is sit in front of the tv, and fireplace, with a cover, and my tea, and of course my book.

When I received my Kindle, I gave all of my books away, except ones that were my mothers, and my Bibles, and my cookbooks. I now have a Bible on my Kindle, so I read at least one page a day, before I begin my book. I find it to be easier, than getting out my Bible.

My bookcases have now been turned into collected things.

I saw a show the other day that said a woman was sueing over the Kindle, because she said it discrimanated against blind people. This I did not understand, because mine will read to me if I want it to.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Yup, mine will too...a lawsuit,,,geez....As much as I enjoy my kindle, I need the physical presence of having books around me. I felt great about downsizing, I used to have collections of Patterson,Cornwell,Woods,and Grafton, but, I knew I had to scale back...

The 5 for a dollar table gets me every time I go to the library

Old September 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Don't have time to read a book when on a cruise.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

I read mostly in the winter .My area is a paradise from April through the end of September but in the winter there is not much to do .Restaurants tend to be seasonal .
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Admiral

I think I have read more books in the past year since I moved, than I have in the past 20 years! Mostly because I've been mostly unemployed and had the time to read. Especially this summer, it was nice to sit out in the screen porch and read a book a day. Winter too, since I didn't watch much TV other than LOST...
I'm going through 5 or 6 books a week lately, everything from Nora Roberts to Susan Wiggs to Debbie Macomber. Just reading my way through the library...

donna
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Admiral

My children bought me 10 books for Fathers Day .I'm on #5 now .
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme
Default The trouble with Stuart woods

is that I can't put his books down until I finish them. Try as I may, sleep doesn't happen until I have read the last word:-)
I read 2 or 3 books per week year round
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Marianne, his new one, SANTA FE DEAD, will be out in a couple of weeks, I am on the list at the library. I have been listening to all his books on tape, and i'ts amazing I feel like I never read them, they seem new again....the words the actors speak, makes my driving more enjoyable

Old September 6th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Default Good Books for Fall Cruisers

I read year 'round. Can't stand not having a book started, either from the book store or fom the library.

The most I ever have that are not read is three or four. I'm glad to hear tht Stuart Woods has a new one coming out. I have two pre-ordered from Amazon. One is the starter of a new series by Janet Evanovich and the other by John Sanford. All of the latter's books are set in Minnesota.

I, too, donate books to the library. It's such a good feeling to see empty space on the shelves. Our librry will only take books that are less than three or four years old. I also get a good feeling from getting rid of clothes that I don't wear any more.

Judy
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Admiral

I donate books to the library as often as possible .However ,I have not taken out a library book in about 25 years
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Admiral

I think back to the bookmobile that used to come around to my neigborhood as a kid,and my walking to the library with Dorothy Green We used to walk home with a stack of books...I can even remember the names of them

I make bookmarks,and I have given them to all the ladies at the library who, have become pals

Old September 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Admiral

I just finished a biography of Jim Morrison .My next book is one of Robert Plant .
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Admiral

The Mists of Avalon is an old but great book.

I too think Frances Farmer had a terrible life.

The Sookie Stackhouse books are good, but you'd have to like that sort of thing. They are by Charlaine Harris and are the basis of the HBO series True Blood.