CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   September 11 ,2001 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/376698-september-11-2001-a.html)

Lakers Fan September 7th, 2010 12:19 PM

September 11 ,2001

Ordinarily I would start this thread on September 10 ,however ,my holiday begins tomorrow night and I will not be back on line till the evening of Sept.11 .

As some of you may have noticed I changed my avatar a few days ago .My previous was from Sept.2000 at the WTC . My current is from a section of the WTC Memorial Wall adjacent to Ground Zero .Specificially is the name of a friend of mine who died there on that date .

He was a Vietnam War veteran who was awarded every possible designation for heroism and bravery .He saved the lives of many soldiers .After leaving the service he began to work for the NYC Police Department .Upon retirement there was no award that he did not receive.

Afterward he took a position as Chief Of Security for a company located in the WTC .He loved the job and the people he worked with .Occasionally I would meet him for lunch at the WTC and he seemed to be so very popular .

On the eventful day he arrived to work early ,called his wife as he did every day to say he arrived safely .That was the last time she heard his voice .
His wife and family as well as relatives and friends all know that he would be the last to leave ,that he would do his best to make sure that everyone else got out .

He is and always will be my hero .A great American ,a great human being ,husband ,father ,friend .

johnthed0g September 7th, 2010 03:42 PM

You don't sound too bad yourself Henry!! It would be nice for us all to be remembered in such a way (if deserved).

Manuel September 7th, 2010 03:52 PM

Henry, I salute you friend and we will allways remember those who perished there.

TM

Aerogirl September 7th, 2010 04:32 PM

I changed mine as well. It's the Manhatten skyline with the USA flag. I took it on my trip to New York. I have a friend who lost a loved one in the north tower. We can move foward but never forget!!!

ToddDH September 7th, 2010 04:35 PM

Henry,

Your well deserved tribute is outstandingly expressed. Since (as you know) my contact with the NYPD was with a few Academy personnel I didn't personally know well anyone who died that day.

We are tied to the twin towers via Fran's son who was on rotation off that morning from his firehouse in Brooklyn. Each of his co-workers/friends who were on duty on the morning of 911 is dead. He went in immediately (he was in the holding area for reinforcing firemen on I believe it was Vesey St. when the second tower came down) and spent God only knows how many hours non-stop on site. He spent the next weeks just going from funeral to funeral.

Todd

rollerdonna September 7th, 2010 04:53 PM

I had never been to NY prior to 9/11, didn't know anyone there, but even though I was hundreds of miles away, that didn't lessen the shock and horror we felt as far away as Canada. I remember watching it all happen on TV that morning just before departing for my commuter train, and then more horror on the daycare office TV when I got to work. Nobody could believe their eyes.

Henry, you gave a fitting tribute to your friend and all others who perished that day. May we never forget.....

donna

Luanne Russo September 7th, 2010 08:54 PM

Henry,

That was a beautiful tribute to your friend. I am sure he is looking down on you, with a smile, for your rememberance of his great works.

I fly my American flag everyday, in honor and memory of those who fight everyday to try and stop 9/11 from ever happening again.

Lakers Fan September 7th, 2010 09:42 PM

Thanks to all . I have been to several cities over the years where there are memorials and I inscribe the name of my friend in all. He was one of the nicest human beings I've ever met .

I found myself getting teary eyed as I was writing this morning . A rememberance for those who died on Sept.11 should be every day not just on the anniversary date .

Lakers Fan September 10th, 2010 10:04 PM

Tomorrow there will be memorial services all over the world .I urge everyone to attend if possible

Manuel September 11th, 2010 04:05 AM

We will be attending a memorial in our hometown

TM

Lakers Fan September 11th, 2010 11:19 AM

There are memorials all over Long Island today and tomorrow .We are going to one tomorrow ,we were at one early this morning as well.

Donna September 11th, 2010 04:28 PM

I still remember that day, hope to never have another day like that...

dirknme September 11th, 2010 11:19 PM

A daily memorial

Each morning as we raise the flag in front of our house and each evening as we lower the flag, we remember those who served our country, those who did not return from serving our country and those who continue to do serve. I thank God for the safe return of my sons, and the sons of others and pray for the end of this horrible war in which we are engaged.
me