CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Your favorite quotation is ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/376843-your-favorite-quotation.html)

Lakers Fan September 13th, 2010 08:14 PM

Your favorite quotation is ?

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life "

katlady September 13th, 2010 08:30 PM

"Shut up and entertain me clown."

ToddDH September 13th, 2010 08:36 PM

Being a history buff (primarily 1939-1945), I have more than several. Among my favorites is a quote from Winston Churchill arising from a comment about his closure on his Declaration of War against the Imperial Japanese Government on 8 December 1941.

Churchill closed his Declaration of War with, "I am honored to be with high consideration Sir, Your obedient servant, Winston S. Churchill."

When asked why he closed a declaration of war in such a pleasant manner, he replied, "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite about it."

Todd

Lakers Fan September 13th, 2010 08:40 PM

history

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1316537)
Being a history buff (primarily 1949-1945), I have more than several. Among my favorites is a quote from Winston Churchill arising from a comment about his closure on his Declaration of War against the Imperial Japanese Government on 8 December 1941.

Churchill closed his Declaration of War with, "I am honored to be with high consideration Sir, Your obedient servant, Winston S. Churchill."

When asked why he closed a declaration of war in such a pleasant manner, he replied, "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite about it."

Todd

I just finished reading American History Revised .There are a lot of interesting quotes from world leaders over the past 200 years

Manuel September 13th, 2010 08:54 PM

I like ( we only know the value of water when the well runs dry )

Ben Franklin

TM

blueliner September 13th, 2010 08:55 PM

"I believe in the Rip Van Winkle theory: that a man from 1910 must be able to wake up after being asleep for 70 years, walk into a ballpark and understand baseball perfectly."

Bowie Kuhn, Commissioner of Baseball (1969-1984)

T C September 13th, 2010 09:11 PM

My favorite is ...

"Getting old is not for sissies" Bette Davis

7x57 September 13th, 2010 09:25 PM

A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest.

MTL September 13th, 2010 09:26 PM

Quote of the day

You don't stop laighing because you get old,you get old because you stop laughing. Unknown

Fern September 13th, 2010 09:36 PM

This is something that a very good friend posted on FB today. I really like it!

"A newborn chick doesn't know it's alive until it's world begins to crumble. What seems like the collapse of your universe may be just an exciting beginning."

JMHO,
Fern

CruisinK n J September 13th, 2010 11:26 PM

Your Favorite Quote

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Judy

Ron September 13th, 2010 11:48 PM

" Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool than to open it and remove all doubt "
I don't know to whom the credit goes for this but I think maybe Franklin.
:) :) :)

Kuki September 14th, 2010 01:20 AM

"Come here Big Boy!!"

by Mrs. Kuki.... or any other female

Sid1962 September 14th, 2010 04:49 AM

"Life is not about seeking shelter from the storm; it's about learning how to dance in the rain." - Unknown

Pootersdad September 14th, 2010 06:37 AM

Favorite Quote

"Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before".:confused:
(unknown)

Angela Z. September 14th, 2010 06:43 AM

This ain't no dress rehearsal

Angela Z.

DougR. September 14th, 2010 06:45 AM

"If its tourist season why can't we shoot them?"

-Bumper sticker popular with Jersey Shore residents

skymaster September 14th, 2010 08:27 AM

"What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate."

"SKY"

Keith & Rita September 14th, 2010 08:59 AM

"Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise, slow dancing leads to the first!"
(by us)

katlady September 14th, 2010 09:44 AM

On was on a quilting message board and find some quotes I enjoyed. The top one explains my sewing style. I love my seam ripper.;)

"Quilt and the world quilts with you. Seam rip and you rip alone."

"Women are angels... And when someone breaks our wings... We simply continue to fly...on a broomstick... We're flexible like that."

rollerdonna September 14th, 2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7x57 (Post 1316562)
A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest.

7X57, I recognized that immediately as Simon & Garfunkel....they wrote some amazing stuff!

donna

rollerdonna September 14th, 2010 10:22 AM

As a life long child care worker I have had a favourite quote for many years.
I originally saw it during Playful Parenting training in Pennsylvania, author unknown, and have had it printed an laminated many times over the years to give to my childrens' teachers, coaches, etc.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove - but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."

I think that about says it all.....

donna

bahamamomma September 14th, 2010 12:20 PM

I've have several but I really like what James Dean said -

"Dream as if you'll live forever..., live as if you'll die today"

Marc September 14th, 2010 01:46 PM

Strangely, my favourite quote is from the bible:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Lombard September 14th, 2010 02:54 PM

"Trust, but Verify."

R Regan???

KC Gorilla September 14th, 2010 08:20 PM

You have never lived until you've almost died, for those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.

From a wall at Fort Bragg, NC

7x57 September 14th, 2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerdonna (Post 1316686)
7X57, I recognized that immediately as Simon & Garfunkel....they wrote some amazing stuff!

donna

They sure did. Didn't do too shabby solo either.

venice September 14th, 2010 09:48 PM

;)small changes may lead to big changes in life;)

from my Dad to all 3 of his sons...:cool:never do anything in life that will reflect poorly or embarrass your Mother:cool:

:-x"get off my plane".:-x.quote from POTUS Harrison Ford in the movie Air Force One

and my alltime favorite from former Sec. of Defense Donald Rumsfield..:confused:we know what we know, we know what we don't know..what we don't know is what we don't know:confused:

Aerogirl September 15th, 2010 08:00 PM

Were living the good old days right now!

Not sure if it's my favorite but I like it alot.

ToddDH September 15th, 2010 08:26 PM

Venice,

I admit I had to pause and reread the last of your quotes (Rumsfeld's) a couple of times to understand it.

I was going to take the time to explain it until it hit me. You're good, my friend...very good.

:confused:...my foot! ;) LOL

Todd