Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Default Your island, your way

So, you have been handed this island. It is nothing more than rock - mostly flat. Not a single plant or animal on the place. Never been inhabited by humans, either. Your island is a total blank slate.

You have also been handed an UNLIMITED budget. You can afford anything! Your only limitation is reality - as in, what's actually possible with today's technology.

Your instructions are to turn this island into a tourist attraction.

What do you create?
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Admiral

I create Henryworld . Its a combination amusement park ,theater ,sports arena and think tank .
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Admiral

My island would probably end up looking something like Princess Cay or Half Moon Cay, with pristine beaches, turquoise water, "misting stations", tiki bars, and a lunchtime BBQs!

donna
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Make it look like the Island of Madeira.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I once saw a show, where the realtor, sold islands all around the world...Richard Branson & David Copperfield both own fabulous islands,which they lease out..

If I owned an island, I would have fabulous shops and bistros, right by the water, where I dock my yacht,and my friends dock as well. Local crafts people would also have colorful stalls,and NO haggling is allowed...The prices are fair,the items to die for, and everbody pays willingly.

The hotel area, as set up with, beautiful thatched bungalows,with all the amenities,anyone could need..some of the floors have glass inserts to see all the sea life below. Sliding doors open to the amazing views,and you can fish off your balcony.

On the other side, are well appointed condos, for over 55, at uninflated prices are snapped up quickly..done tastefully to merge, into the nature of the island. This is set up village style, with everything one would need all within walking distance,and only electric golf carts are allowed on this island.

Sound good? I named it, Pearl Island. I will be sending out full color very pricey catalogues for your approval soon

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
First Mate

TAX SHELTER!!!!!

I like Trip's idea of offshore bungalows done South Pacific style with glass floors. I guess I need a really deep dock if I'm going to make it a tourist trap. What a shame.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Pearl Island

[QUOTE=Trip;1318479.

If I owned an island, I would have fabulous shops and bistros, right by the water, where I dock my yacht,and my friends dock as well. Local crafts people would also have colorful stalls,and NO haggling is allowed...The prices are fair,the items to die for, and everbody pays willingly.

The hotel area, as set up with, beautiful thatched bungalows,with all the amenities,anyone could need..some of the floors have glass inserts to see all the sea life below. Sliding doors open to the amazing views,and you can fish off your balcony.

On the other side, are well appointed condos, for over 55, at uninflated prices are snapped up quickly..done tastefully to merge, into the nature of the island. This is set up village style, with everything one would need all within walking distance,and only electric golf carts are allowed on this island.

Sound good? I named it, Pearl Island. I will be sending out full color very pricey catalogues for your approval soon[/QUOTE]

That has a nice ring to it
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:36 AM
Admiral

Default Your Island, Your Way

Trip, I still say we need to rob a bank!

"Unlimited budget?" To heck with a forlorn island! I'd take the money and run!

Judy
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Bonnie and Clyde can rise again.....as long as we rob bank in a tropical setting, so, if we get caught, we can do jail time in a pretty place

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Admiral

You have a lot of good ideas ,Trip
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Well, it's good you have your priorities straight, Trip *Grin* Only doing jail time in a pretty place is quite a sensible plan

So far, the glass floors in bungalows over the water are my favorite individual idea Add in some fish feeders and perhaps some sort of underwater lighting so you can really see what's going on at all hours, and I'm not sure I'd even care what the rest of the island was like - I'd just sit there staring at my floor *grin*

But all the ideas are awesome - especially Henryworld.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Thanks ,I hope to see Henryworlds all over the globe
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Thanks ,I hope to see Henryworlds all over the globe
I bet you can get a great price on many of the old Blockbuster locations.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Admiral

whatie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
So, you have been handed this island. It is nothing more than rock - mostly flat. Not a single plant or animal on the place. Never been inhabited by humans, either. Your island is a total blank slate.

You have also been handed an UNLIMITED budget. You can afford anything! Your only limitation is reality - as in, what's actually possible with today's technology.

Your instructions are to turn this island into a tourist attraction.

What do you create?
1. An airport. People have to be able to get there.

2. A cruise ship dock. People have to be able to get there.

3. A commercial container port. One must have the ability to bring in needed supplies.

4. Great beaches with adjacent resorts all around the island, except in the area of the cruise ship dock and the commercial port.

5. A town with great restaurants and a great shopping district, with a nice plaza in the center, right next to the cruise ship dock.

6. A marina with boats for sailing excursions next to the cruise ship dock.

7. Accommodations and services (medical clinic/hospital, schools, garages and gas stations, stores, etc.) for the people who work in the above facilities.

8. A transit system (monorail?) and a network of roads linking all of the above.

Norm.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Default Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
I bet you can get a great price on many of the old Blockbuster locations.
Blockbuster locations are much too small for Henryworlds .We need barren land
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Passenger

And lots of it! (Henryworld land)

Rev: Very thoughtful and very practical!

Here's an interesting side discussion: Rev seems to feel that roads (and presumably, motorized cars) are basic and essential, whereas Trip banishes motorized vehicles and only permits electric golf carts. I personally prefer the golf carts; not only is the air cleaner, but roads are not really necessary. A golf cart does just fine on wide sidewalks and lawns.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Admiral

whatie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
And lots of it! (Henryworld land)

Rev: Very thoughtful and very practical!

Here's an interesting side discussion: Rev seems to feel that roads (and presumably, motorized cars) are basic and essential, whereas Trip banishes motorized vehicles and only permits electric golf carts. I personally prefer the golf carts; not only is the air cleaner, but roads are not really necessary. A golf cart does just fine on wide sidewalks and lawns.
Actually, I don't recall being specific as to what types of vehicles would be on the roads.

That said, there are several requirements for transportation.

>> 1. One needs to have the means to move supplies and goods from the container port to the stores, shops, restaurants, and resorts where they are used or sold. I doubt that golf carts would be adequate for this.

>> 2. One needs to have the means to transport tourists and cruise passengers who wish to go sightseeing on land. This typically means either motorcoaches or minivans. Also, one needs to have the means to transport guests of the resorts between the resorts and the airport.

Of course, ideally, one also builds a network of paved paths for bicycles and perhaps golf carts that's separate from the roadways used for transportation. The paths for bicycles and golf carts should be situated where they will offer nice scenery.

Norm.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Passenger

100% true. You did NOT specify. I assumed.

Granted, you could have meant that you wanted to build cobblestone roads and only allow horse-drawn vehicles on those roads. Which, actually, would be really lovely - especially if you were trying to evoke the flavor and feel of the romantic past.

But I heard the word roads, and I assumed black-topped modern roads with lots of cars... my bad

Anyway, I imagine you could have a vehicle that looks much like a golf cart but is designed as a towing vehicle, and you could easily hitch a trailer behind it for carrying most goods. For larger quantities of goods, you might need more than one vehicle with trailer (or multiple trips), because of course you aren't going to get the sheer size of a big-rig truck on your side. Still, you could make it work just fine.

You are absolutely right, though, that golf carts would not do for large groups of passengers. A golf cart is designed to hold a smaller group of people. Hmm.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Admiral

the first step would be the plantings, the island must be lush, green and tropical with pristine white sandy silky beaches and turquoise waters, then a luxurious 5-star all inclusive resort right on the beach, bungalow and lanai style, there would be amazing off-shore snorkeling, scuba diving and fishing, a world-class spa, golf course, a gorgeous botantical garden and tropical bird sanctuary, and of course amazing restaurants to choose from. Then i would steal some of Trips ideas for the marina area with the bistros, shops and local crafters. The logical industrial aspect would be on the oposite end of the island from the resort,. Housing would be provided to all island employees and their families, so there would be no shanties, and no drug problems. There would be no airport - just the marinia and a heli-port