Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default Carnival Cruise Lines in Controversy in Belize?

Browsing Belize for my CCL tour in December (River and Ruins) and saw this in the Belize news - we are worried - is there going to be trouble in Belize? Should we be worried (family of 6 - this sounds serious)? See below :

FECTAB still Fiery
posted (September 22, 2010)

Last month, FECTAB, the Federation Of Cruise Tourism Associations Of Belize raised a righteous uproar against Carnival Cruise Lines' choice of Jamaican based Chukka Tours and its local partner BAKABUSH tours (they represent Carnival Cruise Lines in Belize). Since then, the government has passed some laws to address some of their concerns - but today member Yonnie Rosado and President Tom Greenwood were back with fire and brimstone. 7news was at their press conference :

Yoni Rosado, Cavetubing.com "There is a fish that came from the river bottom, but I am the fish."

Jules Vasquez, Reporting

And that fish told a room with a modest crowd of industry workers and owners says that Bakabush and Chukka Tours is bad for this industry because their success spells out the detriment of other tour operators and the smaller players in the industry:

Yoni Rosado, Cavetubing.com

"Suddenly now we have Chukka Caribbean Adventures and Bakabush, nobody to grow now but them only. People should know that there is something malicious about this company. You cannot greedy up everything, just last year our people were getting a lot of jobs because for instance the hair braiders can come in our vehicles, in our bus and ask them if they want a hair braid, and they write down their name down. So they are waiting for us. Can you go into Bakabush bus and do that? So that is the fight. Look at our local tour providers working with our local hair braiders our Belizean people. Look at Chukka - they say hell no that is not going to happen with us, keep the hair braiders away from our buses. Something like when America coughs Belize gets a cold. Alright don't let me cough because taxi drivers and hair braiders are going to get asthma. They are not from here; they don't have feelings for us. They just see us as a petroleum company, they have found oil in the caves, they have found oil in the Maya temple."
And now, FECTAB says all they have worked for is at risk:

"So what we are seeing right now is our tree, our garden that we have grow up and take care of for 9-11 years now. You know what happen Chukka Cove/Bakabush is making the tree or the garden is dying right in front of our eyes. And we have something in common - the public and us are all suffering. If tomorrow chukka, Bakabush, Belize Tourism Board, the CEO, the Minister and even the Prime Minister will understand our cause. We don't need to have no more meetings. And my guys as my witness I told them that they have to vote UDP, we can't handle PUP not knowing that when we ask for help this would happen. I will let the media know that we are not fighting the government of Belize. We are fighting Chukka Caribbean Adventures but when we are fighting Chukka, we are fighting a war with BTB."
And after all that bombast to a more than sympathetic crowd - Tom Greenwood literally threw the book on the floor as he read form a catalogue describing the Chukka Caribbean’s services while also offering live commentary

Tom Greenwood, President FECTAB

"From the moment I read cruising, I look at this and I said 'oh my God' Chukka in Belize. Develop and maintain a strong relationship with your financial partners to ensure they are willing and ready to support should the need arise. "Come to Belize, find out who you can buy and give the man some little money and we got it made, we don't have to follow the rules, everybody else has to follow the rules. You know Belizeans don't wear any clothes. If you go there everybody from the waist down is naked. Let's go there and do our rape thing." Partners on all sides are focused on cutting mutually beneficial deals. Jules our children Jules, you know people tell me that I am this and that. Every time I shout the alarm something happens."
While that is special in its own way - beyond the dramatics and histrionics this group is calling on government to protect them - while at the same time employing less than subtle political pressure:

"Now we come in a time where they have tour guide license, driver's license, tour operator license, liability insurance. We are professional tour guides and we are still not up to standards to Mr. Michael Singh. And unfortunately to mention Michael Singh on the media is because he was the one that was referring to us as hungry bellies."

FECTAB has vowed to continue its activism and lobbying against Carnival and Chukka of Jamaica
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Tourists do not want vendors or street people boarding tour buses in order to sell goods. Sounds like Carnival told the operator in Belize to stop allowing it or they would get a new operator. If this is so, good for them. This is better for tourism in the long run and should have no adverse effect on your visit.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Familiar Face

Default Only one small issue there

Understood, but that sounds like only one small issue; can't help the feeling the larger picture is worrisome - a huge tour operator from Jamaica in Belize. That kind of thing can stir some strong feelings, never mind the financial implications. I have the feeling Carnival should not have done that, and instead looked for, or perhaps developed an operation from that country to ensure smooth sailing (how long have Carnival been in Belize??). And the language of the report appears ominous. What next in Belize - blockades of Carnival's tours (happened a few times in Mexico to some cruise lines who stepped out of line - no pun intended) - very unpleasant and frightful for us gringos in a bus on a highway in another country. Going to a small country to gobble up the goodies, courtesy of an US based mega-cruise line, could put both Chukka Cove of Jamaica and their guests in jeopardy. I say Carnival should do a re-think of this thing before it gives birth to something larger and more dangerous to tourists. My sympathies are for the moment with the small guys in little Belize, which sounds like a very nice place with very nice people. BTW, if guests on a bus give their names to hair braiders it means they want to, and may feel pleased that they are approached in a nice and professional way. And also, who is Michael Singh referenced in the news item? Seems he is a catalyst from a significant direction. Government official in Belize? Please understand my interest - this seems like a legitimate beef, with international implications involving the USA, Jamaica, and Belize. Merits some serious attention, does it not? If going on a cruise with Belize as a destination, Americans should show some interest in matters like this news report. Hope it turns out well, but the contents tell me it will not. Oh Wow.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Island Marketing offers tours in many Caribbean ports, including Belize, without problem. I looked at the Chukka website and they seem to be an award winning tour operator.

I have personally seen a local Belize operator leave people at the dock in Belize City waiting for a tour that never happened. But I'm also familiar with a local Belize tour operator that does an outstanding job, noticed he has worked his operation from a small shack to a nice space in front of tourist area. If they work hard and do a good job they will be successful, if not then an outside firm may be needed.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Beginner

Carnival Passengers need to be aware that the people who are selling Belize shore excursions aboard Carnival ships are disseminating negative and false information about Belize (its people) and local tour operators. They are using such tactics in order to plant fear, uncertainty and doubt into the minds of passengers who may have already intended to employ the services of a local tour operator. Why are they doing this? I can only guess that it's all about the money.

Some passengers realize that there are independent operators who are very professional and are able to offer an even better service for much less than what the ship charges. However, while on the ship they fall victims to the tactic of rhetoric and fallacy used by sales people aboard the ship. One such fallacy is that Belize is a port where passengers always get left behind. It is lies like this and others much worse than this that have angered local tour operators.
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Belize

Hey moderator, thank you for your swift input; and thank you new poster Justintime for your input as well, which seems to go to the heart of things. I decided to go a little further, as I am truly intrigued by all this, and went to two other cruise/tourism websites, and sure enough, the evidence of thrashing is there and not subtle either - several local independent operators based in Belize are being mercilessly thrashed out of existence. Not good. Not good at all, and the fingers are pointing at Carnival and the Jamaican tour operator in Belize. For my money, this will not end well. Too many people, too many lies, too much need for control. Any people of any country will react as they see fit. I am going to look at all this carefully when I am on board Legend in December and especially when I go ashore in Belize, as my group is going with an independent, and gladly so.
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Admiral

I agree that there are some scare tactics used to get pax to book the ships excursions. I don't agree with it, but for some pax it may be best. I use an independent whenever possible. FYI-I have always used an independent tour operator in Belize. I've also 'caught a ride' with local operator just to spend day on Cay Caulker saving the walk over to the water taxi's in town. There are very good tour operators in Belize.

Belize is a great country and I have been there many times, but Belize does have an image problem with tourists. In fact the only country worse is Jamaica. Cleaning up the few bad operators and keeping vendors OFF the buses will be a positive for Belize. The cruise companies will use the operators they TRUST to do the right thing.

Some Advice: I would not refer to Chukka as the the "Jamaican" tour operator. They operate in at least three countries. The cruise ships themselves are flagged in the Bahamas or Panama. It will make NO difference to the cruise customer as long as they are getting a quality excursion.

Luv: IMHO-I also think you are an independent operator and not a guest planning a trip.

Future Cruises:
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Familiar Face

Default Next post

My next post will be in December after our fun family cruise. Hopefully it will be positive and all this is settled amicably for the people of Belize. Pity some people still have no understanding of patriotic or nationalistic inner feelings. See ya on the forums in December, all.