CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Friends ,Romans,Countrymen (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/377242-friends-romans-countrymen.html)

Lakers Fan October 2nd, 2010 08:05 AM

Friends ,Romans,Countrymen

Have you ever been on a cruise and met childhood friends ? Have you ever met former neighbors or met people who grew up where you did but you did not know them ?

I've experienced this on non cruise vacations .

beenie weenie October 2nd, 2010 08:33 AM

I've never met childhood friends, Our first cruise we found out that guy who runs the local bank was onboard

Mike M October 2nd, 2010 09:43 AM

When we were on our French Polynesia cruise I had an encounter. My wife and I had rented a car on Moorea and found a nice, fairly secluded, beach to swim and snorkel. We had finished snorkeling and were laying on the beach taking in some sun and I noticed a couple walking down the beach. They were about 100 yards away. As they got closer I said to my wife: "That looks like Scott Ellis". He was a high school friend and we had stayed somewhat in touch over the years. As they got even closer I saw it was him and I kept my head down. As they started to walk past I looked up and said: "Hi Scott." he turned his head and with a look of real surprise said "What the heck are you doing here?"

I knew that he had divorced a couple of years earlier and it turns out that he was on his honeymoon with his new bride.

We talked for awhile and caught up on things and he and his new bride went on their way.

The best thing about that was that after that we are much more in touch and see each other about once a month. My wife and his wife are even better friends. He and I both love to tell that story. You travel 7,000 miles to get away from everyone and who the heck is on the beach in Tahiti. :D

Take care,
Mike

CruisinK n J October 2nd, 2010 11:52 AM

Friends, Romans, Countrymen

Yes, we ran into a work buddy of Keith's in Barcelona. He and his wife were doing the reverse version of the cruise we had just done.

Judy

nlb1050 October 2nd, 2010 12:08 PM

Yes, on one of our Princess cruises. We used anytime dining and were seated at a table for 10. Of course we all did the intro and one of the men asked where we all were originally from. When I said Colonie,NY he asked if I had said a certain name. I said no but she had lived across the street from me. He it turns out had lived in the one and only apartment complex and had been a freind of my neighbor. I asked my brother after i got home if he knew him and he only knew of him.

Snoozeman October 2nd, 2010 12:55 PM

Cool Story Mike.

While the wife & I were in Malaga Spain as we going up an esclavator passing us coming down was the gentleman who had introduced the two of us back in our old hometown. Only 3-4 seconds to say hello-how are you-good bye.

I'm almost always approached when sailing from Galveston. A lot of people know me for better or for worse.:wink:

April October 4th, 2010 12:29 AM

I always say it is a small world---

It happens to me a lot-----whether it's a land vacation or cruise----
In fact my husband always says who are you going to run into on this trip---

I've run into people I knew from my Hawaii vacation days up in Alaska---and I'm from California------

Guess it means I should be on my best behavior whether I like it or not--

Cheers
April

Lakers Fan October 4th, 2010 10:23 AM

Behavior

Quote:

Originally Posted by April (Post 1320904)
I always say it is a small world---

It happens to me a lot-----whether it's a land vacation or cruise----
In fact my husband always says who are you going to run into on this trip---

I've run into people I knew from my Hawaii vacation days up in Alaska---and I'm from California------

Guess it means I should be on my best behavior whether I like it or not--

Cheers
April

My motto is be yourself always