Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default child molester must stay in jail

I have no persponal experience with this kind of situation, but I am just wondering what people think - should they put him in a home-bracelet, let him out or leave him in?

Judge says accused Beaver County child molester must stay in jail

By Brian Bowling
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Last updated: 2:40 pm

A federal judge today refused to release an elderly Beaver County man on bond while he awaits trial on a charge that he traveled to Florida to molest boys while on a cruise ship.

Sherwood Stevenson, 72, of Independence admitted to federal agents that he fondled a 6-year-old boy sitting next to him in a whirlpool sauna during the cruise. In a Jan. 26 interview at his home, Stevenson also admitted to other incidents at a movie theater and a 2006 guilty plea to disorderly conduct after Hopewell police charged him with indecent exposure in a boys' shower room.

full story: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_703012.html
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

This is my "hot button". I have no sympathy or empathy for someone like this. Child molestation is the one crime I feel should have an automatic death penalty. I haven't read a credible study that says that they can be rehabilitated and the number of repeat offenders is extremely high. The offender in the story admits that he knew what he was doing but could not control himself. He and others like him are the cancer of society and like any cancer they need to be removed.

He stays in.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
First Mate

Emotionally I agree with Mike, but as a tax payer I don't care to fund his prison tab nor lawyer fee. I think the prison tab is less than the legal fee to defend a capital punishment case. Bolonga and water (little salt peter for the bedevilment) and hope he gets a little sausage from Bubba.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Captain

I agree with the judge and that animal should be kept in jail for a long time, if not forever.

Had the same thng happened in a Liberal state like California, no doubt, he would be out by now and probably suing the state for arresting him in the first place.

My idea to solve the high cost of housing these career criminals is to make a deal with a third world country to keep these people in jails in their country and the US could pay something like $5 or $10 dollars per day for each prisonerís food and such. No big HD Televisions, no complete medical care, no high paid lawyers (paid for by taxpayers), no cell phones, no Internet and no ACLU.

If we would ever get to that point, watch the crime rate fall to near zero.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
I agree with the judge and that animal should be kept in jail for a long time, if not forever.

Had the same thng happened in a Liberal state like California, no doubt, he would be out by now and probably suing the state for arresting him in the first place.

My idea to solve the high cost of housing these career criminals is to make a deal with a third world country to keep these people in jails in their country and the US could pay something like $5 or $10 dollars per day for each prisonerís food and such. No big HD Televisions, no complete medical care, no high paid lawyers (paid for by taxpayers), no cell phones, no Internet and no ACLU.

If we would ever get to that point, watch the crime rate fall to near zero.

Debra
Yes, liberals love child molestation.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Research tells us that such people cannot be rehabilitated. Attempts to do so (by a variety of different methods) have all resulted in failure. The only solution then is to keep them sequestered from the rest of society.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Admiral

I would put him and others of his persuasion on an island like Alcatraz .
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNYC View Post
Yes, liberals love child molestation.
That's ridiculous.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
That's ridiculous.
Of course it is. I was pointing out the idiocy of the moronic thinking that would take a thread about a topic as abhorrent as child molestation and make it political.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNYC View Post
Of course it is. I was pointing out the idiocy of the moronic thinking that would take a thread about a topic as abhorrent as child molestation and make it political.
Maybe you can find a sarcasm emoticon next time.

Old October 7th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I have no persponal experience with this kind of situation, but I am just wondering what people think - should they put him in a home-bracelet, let him out or leave him in?
1. The first duty of a civil government is to protect its citizens -- and that means ALL of its citizens -- from those who would do them harm.

2. Sexual offenders usually have MANY victims, most of whom are far too embarrassed to come forward. Further, sexual crimes are often very difficult to prosecute because there are seldom witnesses, setting up a situation in which it is the word of the victim against the word of the offender. In such situations, our constitution requires doubt to cut in favor of the offender.

3. The psychological and psychiatric professions, which thought that they could rehabilitate sexual offenders with a few sessions of counselling, finally admitted a few years ago that it is NOT possible to rehabilitate sexual offenders with any certitude.

4. Sexual offenses committed against minors are particularly pernicious, partly because the victims are extremely vulnerable and partly because such offenses deprive the victims of the innocence of childhood and leave the victims scarred very deeply for life.

It is not possible to restore to victims what such crimes take from them, but the government has a duty to do everything in its power ensure that the offenders don't have access to any more victims.

Realistically, there are two viable options to ensure that such offenders never prey on another victims -- (1) life without parole in the most secure prison that we can build or (2) capital punishment.

My sole concern about capital punishment is that the high emotions that surround trials for sexual offenses committed against minors are apt to lead to a relatively high rate of false convictions when juries fixated on the horrors of the offenses that fail to examine the evidence pointing to the accused with sufficient rigor to establish an indisputable proof. When a man's innocence is proven after his execution, the government cannot bring him back to life. The alarming incidence of wrong verdicts in our criminal justice system clearly points to a need to change the manner in which our courts select jurors to ensure their competence to decide the cases before them. Until those changes happen (and I don't see any movement in that direction), we need to err on the side of caution.

Norm.
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

OK - lets not make this a political thing. No one "loves" child molestors.
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
First Mate

There's one other effective solution - chemical castration.

(I'm sure plenty of people would drop the "chemical" part).
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Child molestation is the one crime I feel should have an automatic death penalty.
My hesitation in this is that there needs to be a hierarchy of punishments. Bad as this crime may be, there have been much worse stories. The fear of a greater punishment for a more severe crime might stop the criminal for going that extra step. If there were an automatic death penalty for this very crime, the criminal might think, "Hey, I might as well go even further because the penalty is going to be the same." Yes, start with a harsh punishment less than the death penalty, but reserve the death penalty for those horrific crimes we have all heard about. It might prevent the criminal from stepping across the line and at least return the child alive.
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1959 View Post
My hesitation in this is that there needs to be a hierarchy of punishments. Bad as this crime may be, there have been much worse stories. The fear of a greater punishment for a more severe crime might stop the criminal for going that extra step. If there were an automatic death penalty for this very crime, the criminal might think, "Hey, I might as well go even further because the penalty is going to be the same." Yes, start with a harsh punishment less than the death penalty, but reserve the death penalty for those horrific crimes we have all heard about. It might prevent the criminal from stepping across the line and at least return the child alive.
Violent criminals lack impulse control. That is, they do not reason the way you speculate in your post.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Captain

There should be no such thing as a person with a long history of child molestation or rape in our society. These people should be incarcerated for life and never allowed to prey on innocent people. There are those who always want to offer a second, third, forth... chance but for me just lock-em up and keep them in jail. My thinking is that for every time a person is caught committing any crime there are probably dozens or hundreds of other times when they were either not caught or not prosecuted.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
There should be no such thing as a person with a long history of child molestation or rape in our society. These people should be incrassated for life and never allowed to prey on innocent people. There are those who always want to offer a second, third, forth... chance but for me just lock-em up and keep them in jail. My thinking is that for every time a person is caught committing any crime there are probably dozens or hundreds of other times when they were either not caught or not prosecuted.
In principle, I agree completely. I just want to be sure that the jury has convicted the right person before we throw away the key.

Unfortunately, our manner of choosing both prosecutors and juries does not give me a high degree of confidence. Altogether too often, prosecutors -- whose legal interest, as attorneys of the state, is justice -- seek to gain a conviction at any cost that they can showcase to voters in the next election. And too often, inept jurors get distracted by the emotional horror of the crime and don't really cobble together the line of proof with adequate rigor.

Norm.
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Default Incrassated for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
There should be no such thing as a person with a long history of child molestation or rape in our society. These people should be incarcerated for life and never allowed to prey on innocent people. There are those who always want to offer a second, third, forth... chance but for me just lock-em up and keep them in jail. My thinking is that for every time a person is caught committing any crime there are probably dozens or hundreds of other times when they were either not caught or not prosecuted.

Debra
Can you please explain what you mean by INCRASSATED ?
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It's a spelling error, or spell check messed it up, for incarcerated.

Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Default Spelling error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
It's a spelling error, or spell check messed it up, for incarcerated.

Mike
I thought perhaps ND was using a word I was not familiar with
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
OK - lets not make this a political thing. No one "loves" child molestors.
Paul, I agree with you.

It would be sick to make this a political issue.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!