Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Admiral

johnthed0g,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
No, not naturally slim, so if you can lose weight on a cruise it should be easy at other times!
Unfortunately, I work at a computer all day. The only exercise that I'm able to get during the workday is an occasional trip to the men's room or the coffee mess or to the conference room for an occasional meeting. I'm pursuing "after hours" pursuits that provide physical exercise as my other responsibilities allow, but it's never enough. Unfortunately, I don't see this situation changing until I can retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If a person is physically unable to climb stairs it wouldn't matter how many flights it was.
That's true. Those who really cannot climb stairs need to find some other way to get physical exercise. On a cruise, one can swim, walk laps, work out in the gym, take shore excursions that involve a fair amount of walking, or dance the night away in the lounges (if one has a partner).

But in reality, those who cannot climb even one flight of stairs are a relatively small percentage of cruise passengers.

If you are going from Deck 5 to Deck 10 and you can handle only one flight of stairs, you can always climb one flight from Deck 5 to Deck 6, take the lift from Deck 6 to Deck 9 while you catch your breath, and climb another flight from Deck 9 to Deck 10.

A decade ago, when I was not getting as much exercise at home as I am now, I found that I often became very winded after climbing a two or three flights of stairs on the first few days of a cruise. When going from Deck 7 to Deck 10 (or whatever) on the first few days of a cruise, I frequently climed a couple flights of one ladder, then ambled down the passageway to another ladder while catching my breath before climbing the last flights. Nonetheless, I persisted in using the ladders rather than the lifts. As I did this, my cardiovascular health improved so that I could climb progressively more flights. By the end of the first week, I found that I could go up five or six flights without stopping. It would have been quite easy to get lazy and use the lifts, but I knew that the exercise was essential. The whole key was to do what I could at the start of the cruise and to keep doing more as the cruise progressed.

FWIW, it was actually becoming winded after a couple flights of stairs on the first couple days of a cruise that persuaded me that I needed to get more exercise when I'm at home, and that prompted me to take up physical activities that I enjoy and thus will continue to pursue.

Having said all that, I will say that anybody who has any kind of medical issues should consult his or her physician before starting a new exercise regimen.

Norm.
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Admiral

John, don't you think that a drink before dinner, wine with dinner and two drinks after dinner each night provide a lot of calories on a cruise? I prefer to eat more food and leave out the alcohol.

:-D:-D:-DTo each his own:eek::eek::eek: