Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Default Weight Gain While Cruising

Have you ever gained weight while cruising? I guess that I am fortunate. We have cruised 26 times since 1993 for about 180 days and I weight two or three pounds less than before my first cruise. :-D:-D:-D:-D

Of course, I did walk three miles a day, spent some time on the weight machines and refrained from using the elevator whenever possible. I also drank very few of the fancy sugar laden beverages while cruising. This enabled me to have at least two desserts each evening.

To each his own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Admiral

I have never gained weight while crusing ,however ,since my surgery in April I've gained 14 pounds .I am hoping that the day of my cruise I will weigh 21 pounds less than I do now so that I can eat to my hearts content while on the cruise .
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Admiral

I have never had that problem before, cruising or otherwise.
Something has changed drastically in the past year (no medication? no job? eating too much?) I don't know, but weight gain is a constant battle these days. I am not going to worry about it on my next cruise, I will just enjoy it!

donna
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Admiral

No real weight gain. Likely ate healthier with all the choices of food available.:-D
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Admiral

The first couple of cruises I did gain a few pounds but since then I either stay the same or loss a couple of pounds or so. I'm sure the reason is because of being more active and actually eating better than normal. On the ship I do use the elevators to go up but I try to walk down stairs as much as possible.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Admiral

If I eat & drink what most do, UK standard not US (double portions+) I can EASILY gain 1KG a DAY, that's 2/3 pounds, & yes we do walk about , we do trek around towns, we do use the elevators, the only thing to keep it under control is using the gym. Within reason I think we should be able to enjoy the food & drinks on offer, I find those who say I can't eat this or can't drink that a bit sad.
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I really haven't gained weight while on a cruise but lately, with the way I've been feeling, I can gain weight just looking at food.

My plan for my upcoming Epic cruise is to eat in as many of the 21 restaurants as I can. At the end of the cruise I do believe that I will be put on a pallet and unloaded with one of the cranes.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Our next cruise is for a month.......I fear I shall be unloaded as luggage!!
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
No real weight gain. Likely ate healthier with all the choices of food available.:-D
That is a good point I eat more fruits on the cruise. Because at home I'm too lazy/busy to section a grapefruit or cube melons. I need my own personal chef.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Admiral

I try to eat healthy at home normally but the past 12 months have been hectic
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Admiral

I rarely gain on a cruise, but we always eat in the dining room, instead of the buffet when possible. (Much easier for us to avoid overeating IMO.) I walk a lot, and I too use the stairs instead of the elevators most of the time. I stay active, and don't eat every course offered, but try to eat more closely to what I eat at home. I DO enjoy the great variety of GREAT food offered!

"SKY"
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Admiral

That's why I drop five pounds before I go!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, I never gain weight there. Maybe it's all the walking......it's different with a land resort trip though. I tend to be a lay-about there, likely to be beaching it, so I suppose that could be a prob. Although, not yet.
(Kind of a round-about answer, huh?):-)
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:55 PM
First Mate

When I started cruising I weighed almost 200, and now I am 170. I like to explore every nook and cranny of a ship, and I dislike elevators. Waiting for them eats into my exploring time.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Admiral

I concur with doing as much activity and walking as possible..also I have a tendency to eat alot of fish and split my dessert with my cabin mate and stay up late dancing and other things plus I lose about 3-4 pounds prior to the cruise
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Admiral

I must admit I find the tone of some replies somewhat patronising.
I think those who find it easy to avoid weight gain who say "I just lose a few pounds prior to the cruise" have NO IDEA what others go through, do they not think that we would ALL like to just "drop a few pounds"? Some of us spend our lives not eating this or that, walking all over the place, going to gyms, our lives are spent trying to drop a few pounds!!
The other one, while I am on the subject, is this glib statement, "all you need to do is walk round the ship & not use elevators", No, this is all YOU need to do, we do this anyway but some of us have to do a lot more. OK there are grossly morbidly obese people who, if they have no medical reason for it, just have to ''move more eat less'' BUT the rest of those who could lose a few pounds face a lifelong battle that is not won by "simply dropping a few pounds prior to the cruise" or walking up stairs.
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Admiral

John I agree I'm 5 feet 1 inch tall. I gain weight easy and find losing weight hard. My last cruise I used the gym 4 out of the 7 days. I didn't count every calorie, but I also didn't overeat. I took the stairs and walked in all the ports. I still gained 1 pound. Had I not done all that stuff I would have gained 5 pounds. Being short is a huge disadvantage to trying to maintain a healthy weight. I do exercise regular so I'm overweight, but in better shape then a lot of thinner people who never exercise. How much does that suck?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
I have never had that problem before, cruising or otherwise.
Something has changed drastically in the past year (no medication? no job? eating too much?) I don't know, but weight gain is a constant battle these days. I am not going to worry about it on my next cruise, I will just enjoy it!

donna
rollerdonna,

Not to presume but if you are menopausal or post-menopausal .... the body's metabolism slows to a crawl. I never had to worry about my weight until I hit menopause. Oy!

Now it takes me 6 months to lose 5 pounds with diligent effort - working out every day, eating a healthy low-fat diet etc ... It's a bit discouraging.
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
John I agree I'm 5 feet 1 inch tall. I gain weight easy and find losing weight hard. My last cruise I used the gym 4 out of the 7 days. I didn't count every calorie, but I also didn't overeat. I took the stairs and walked in all the ports. I still gained 1 pound. Had I not done all that stuff I would have gained 5 pounds. Being short is a huge disadvantage to trying to maintain a healthy weight. I do exercise regular so I'm overweight, but in better shape then a lot of thinner people who never exercise. How much does that suck?
Doesn't help when naturally skinny people tell you to use the stairs does it!!
Tell you one thing though if I want to eat every course at dinner I will, realistically if you put the whole lot on one plate it isn't that much....AND yes thanks I will have cheese tonight!
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Have you ever gained weight while cruising?
I generally lose a couple pounds during the course of a cruise.

How? Simple.

>> 1. Eat reasonable portions. I usually eat breakfast, lunch, a snack with afternoon tea, and dinner (second seating) and avoid the rich desserts. When the ship has a midnight buffet, I don't eat much because I'm still feeling full from dinner.

>> 2. Choose shore exersions that involve a reasonable amount of walking, swimming, or other physical activity. On days at sea, walk enough laps to add up to a couple miles or go for a good swim in the ship's pool if you don't want to work out a the gym.

>> 3. Always use "ladders" (stairs) rather than lifts when going between decks. This may seem daunting at first, though you can always go up a couple decks and then proceed to the next ladder to continue your climb, but the ship's lifts have nozzles that inject atomized fat into everybody who rides them! Also, you'll be surprised how much easier this will become a

>> 4. Dancing, etc., in the evening also helps!

Norm.
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Norm, you didn't mention staying away from the alcohol. There are a lot of calories in mixed drinks and wine. I pretty much follow your same regime and still manage to eat two desserts each night and not gain weight.
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
rollerdonna,

Not to presume but if you are menopausal or post-menopausal .... the body's metabolism slows to a crawl. I never had to worry about my weight until I hit menopause. Oy!

Now it takes me 6 months to lose 5 pounds with diligent effort - working out every day, eating a healthy low-fat diet etc ... It's a bit discouraging.
You are SO right, Kim! I have the same problem!!
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Paul,

I generally lose a couple pounds during the course of a cruise.

How? Simple.

>> 1. Eat reasonable portions. I usually eat breakfast, lunch, a snack with afternoon tea, and dinner (second seating) and avoid the rich desserts. When the ship has a midnight buffet, I don't eat much because I'm still feeling full from dinner.

>> 2. Choose shore exersions that involve a reasonable amount of walking, swimming, or other physical activity. On days at sea, walk enough laps to add up to a couple miles or go for a good swim in the ship's pool if you don't want to work out a the gym.

>> 3. Always use "ladders" (stairs) rather than lifts when going between decks. This may seem daunting at first, though you can always go up a couple decks and then proceed to the next ladder to continue your climb, but the ship's lifts have nozzles that inject atomized fat into everybody who rides them! Also, you'll be surprised how much easier this will become a

>> 4. Dancing, etc., in the evening also helps!

Norm.
Exactly what I meant, I bet this poster is naturally slim & assumes that everyone else overeats & does not do any exercise. Despite what experts say some of us have to eat a remarkably small amount to avoid out of control weight gain. Not all can manage several flights of stairs.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Admiral

John I did all the stuff Norm talked about however, I had some alcohol. I'm on vacation after all. In fact Carnival cruiseline no longer has a midnight buffet and we had early seating so I didn't eat anything after dinner. Plus I didn't have afternoon tea. I just had the three normal meals and I ate fruit at breakfast instead of bacon (they never get it crispy enough anyway). I still gained 1 pound. I'm short and old with a slow Metabolism it heredity. Here is an interest article on WebMB.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/make-most-your-metabolism
Here is a quote from the article. Yes I'm female and over 40.
Quote:
Your metabolism is influenced by your age (metabolism naturally slows about 5% per decade after age 40); your sex (men generally burn more calories at rest than women); and proportion of lean body mass (the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolic rate tends to be).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Admiral

I try to resist a "good" breakfast but just have fruit & cereal + an omelette, Lunch on board is usually something like a Baked potato & salad, we MAY have a snack late afternoon a "tea" type thing, gym about 5/6pm then change for late sitting dinner, drink before, we do have wine with dinner & a drink or two after, never eat after dinner. OK not starvation but it ain't as much as most consume I think, as far as metabolism goes, my wife will eat & do about the same as me without putting on anything much, I however could easily gain 20+ pounds in two weeks!!
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Smile

When I cruise I enjoy everything to the fullest. I eat, drink gamble and have a grand time. I never weigh myself for a week after each cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
When I cruise I enjoy everything to the fullest. I eat, drink gamble and have a grand time. I never weigh myself for a week after each cruise.

TM
Good idea, weight can level out when you are back to normal.
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Admiral

johnthed0g,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Exactly what I meant, I bet this poster is naturally slim...
You call 5'9" and about 15 stones "naturally slim"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Not all can manage several flights of stairs.
Then start with one or two flights at a time, several times, on the first day and work your way up as the cruise progresses.

Norm.
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
johnthed0g,

You call 5'9" and about 15 stones "naturally slim"???

Then start with one or two flights at a time, several times, on the first day and work your way up as the cruise progresses.

Norm.
No, not naturally slim, so if you can lose weight on a cruise it should be easy at other times!
If a person is physically unable to climb stairs it wouldn't matter how many flights it was.
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post

TM
I like it !!!