Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Default Whoo Hoo, it's Friday!

Morning Mates, it's Friday once again, and a beautiful one it is!
The sun is shining and it is a cool 9C or 48F, a real fall day to enjoy.

Regarding yesterday's Trivia question, I won't argue with anyone who begs to differ from the Bruce Springsteen answer. Our "Trivia Guy" has been known to be wrong, not that he'd ever admit it!
The answer to the other question, What was the Ford Mustang named after?
is also up for argument. I would have said the horse, but he claims it was the P-51 Mustang plane, as Ken said yesterday.

Last night we enjoyed a wonderful evening of John Denver music at our local theatre. Not quite as sparkling and impressive as the show we saw on the Noordam, but pretty good anyway. The lead singer in the band had a wonderful clear, Denver-like voice and did a very good job.
We are so fortunate to have some wonderful talent come through town quite regularly, can hardly wait to see what's next!

Todd, hope you got some rest and please give our love and encouragement to Fran when you go see her today....

donna
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
I am freezing my patootie off here..bright sun,but so chilly. I cannot wait for the sun and heat of the Caribbean, soon.

Lucy is coming over today. Nikki is going back to work today. God bless her..ain't youth grand??

I made some beautiful pieces yesterday. Designing, and, beading, is my calm.....

Prayers to Todd & Fran,and all who need a good thought.

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates, its is a beautiful day here in central mass, sun is shinning, and the temps are supposed to get into the low 70's beautiful fall day, going to play hookie from work this afternoon and go camping, woohoo.
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Good Morning CruiseMates!
Hope today finds everyone better than we were the day before. I thought I had some stuff to do but it turns out...not so much. My buddy who I was going to rehearse with this afternoon is feeling under the weather. So it is the usual, the kids are doing their cursive writing stuff at the moment. Yesterday we started a new thing, they are called writing books and it was like pulling teeth to get the kids going on it. They protested and whined, but towards the end of it, their handwriting improved dramatically and I think it must have grown on them because this morning they asked if they could do another one. The wonder boy is already half way through it, which is like a world record. D/D takes so much longer to get it done, but she is doing high quality work and her speed has increased dramatically since yesterday too. Poor girl is also expected to master multiplication as well. It's so hard to keep it semi fun and interesting when there is so much to learn. This year we have so much more to cover than in previous years, but fortunately the kids have matured a lot, and they have much longer attention spans. I am amazed at how quickly the week has passed, and another weekend is almost here.

I am off to get cleaned up and start some laundry. Hope to hear a good report from Todd. Take care all.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Captain

We too are having a beautiful day. Started out in the 40's but is moving up to the 70's by afternoon. The sun's arrivial this morning was beautiful to look at.
RD glad you had such a good time last night. Enjoy today because we all know what is just around the corner but I'm not going to say that terrible 4 letter word that starts with s and ends with w.
Trip, youth is great, they heal much faster than us old folks. Hope Niki continues to improve daily.
BW, kids are like sponges and absorb so much more than adults when it comes to learning. I am amazed at how you do it all. Best of luck for this school year.
Today I am off to the hairdressers. My daughter got me a gift certificate for a day of pampering and boy do I need it. I know she can't preform magic but anything is an improvement right now. Who knows maybe she will make me look gourgeous for at least a day.

Todd so hoping that Fran is feeling better today. Praying for you both.

Everyone enjoy today, stay safe and healthy!

Old October 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok, who remembers the Palmer method of handwriting? push pulls. curly ques? All the alphabet letters hanging up around the room? So many of my friends have handwriting that looks like mine! I uded to have to write things for my teachers to hang because many of them, had terrible handwriting!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone:

I slept until 10 this morning. That doesn't mean I had 12 hours of sleep though. Last night I attended the Twins - Yankees playoff game and sadly the Twins didn't come out with a victory but I had a fun time nonetheless. I didn't get home until around 10 and was awake when Betty came home around midnight. I must have had adrenaline in my system because we decided to catch up on some recorded TV shows and the next thing you know it's 5:00 a.m. So I fed the furry alarm clock and let him out and then went to sleep around 6:00. Sleeping Beauty is still snoozing and I feel like I could crawl back in with her and get a few more hours. If I do that I won't go to sleep tonight so I'll do some chores around the house and stay awake.

There isn't too much on the agenda for this weekend but it is supposed to be GORGEOUS with temps in the low 80's. Now I wish I hadn't winterized the boat. It would be nice to do a bit of fishing or just a long boat cruise around the lake to see the final Fall colors. Oh well: I'll think of something.

I hope everyone is feeling better today and that all Cruisemates have a fun and safe weekend.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Default Whoo, Hoo, It's Friday

Good morning from SoCal. It's supposed to be a beautiful day but come Sunday, 97

A Wendell Update: Apparently, he won't be going home so soon. Inactivity has produced some after affects, also West Nile Disease from the past. A pulmonary team comes in each day to give him breathing exercises. This is to prevent pneumonia. Wendell can sit up in a chair for about two hours but hasn't been able to walk. Wednesday, they couldn't get his shoes on (they're special ones), but yesterday they did. He could stand up for less than 30 seconds. So each day is filled with exercises much like at home.

I hope that Todd has some good news for us about Fran.

BW, I was wondering about home tutoring. Your kids seem to thrive with it. How did you come to choose that? Does the curiculum have to be the same as publc school? How do you teach things that are weak subjects for you?

Sue, snow already? Seems like summer just got started!

Gym today for Keith. Other than that, not much on the agenda.

Judy
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Judy,
Deciding to home school the kids was difficult. It was a combination of factors that weighed into it. I was appalled at the total lack of responsiveness and common sense displayed at the public school. We must have had a small population boom with babies being born in 2000, because there were nearly a hundred kindergartners the year d/s started. Which is huge considering our town has a population of only 2000 people.

To make a long story short they had taken 100 kids and divided them in to 5 classes. 4 teachers were experienced Kindergarten teachers. The 5th teacher was not even certified to teach kindergarten. The school is required to inform parents that they are using a non-certified teacher, which they waited until December of the school year to do so. This 5th teacher had problems controlling the class and the children were way behind the other children in the other 4 classes. There were lots of behavior issues and at lunch and recess they would turn all 100 kindergartners loose on the playground with 1 teacher to supervise them all. Needless to say it was pandemonium. There are streets on 3 of the 4 sides of the playground. Kids would wander out into the street to chase balls or wander off away from the playground. Some of the more violent kids would hit or kick their classmates, basically it was an out of control situation. In January the school fired the P.E. Teacher (another huge scandal) and their solution to this problem was to reward the incompetent kindergarten teacher with a full time permanent position as a P.E. Teacher. Then they took the 20+ children who were so far behind and stuck these children in the classes were the original children were up to speed, with no plan to assimilate them and help them catch up. I was livid. The teachers felt completely thrown under the bus. So I showed up at a few school board meetings made some noise, brought some other parents with me and eventually more aides and resources were dedicated to alleviate the load on the teachers. Going to the school board meetings was the only way I could be heard. The Principal and Superintendent would not return phone calls and it was maddening. This same Superintendent is now in jail for embezzling from the school district. So I have ZERO respect for him or his decisions.

I sent d/s to a private school for first grade, that went OK for a while, but the due to cash flow issues they combined first and second grade into one class with one teacher. She would stick the kids in their seats doing seat work (work sheets) endlessly. They couldn't get much help when needed because she was busy working with the other class while they were doing their work. If a kid had to go to the bathroom, she would make them wait for an eternity, some kids couldn't hold it that long and they started having accidents at school. Even when the parents would write notes stating to let them go when they need to go. There were all of these needless battles. There were more issues, but I won't go into all of it. Needless to say d/s and I were not pleased.

At that same time I needed to start thinking about what I wanted to do with d/d since she was ready for Kindergarten. She was a year ahead since we started her in K3 preschool a year early due to a speech delay. If I put her in the public school she would have to sit out a year since her birthday isn't until October. I could have put her into Kindergarten at the Private School, but thought that might not be the best since they were losing so many of their greatest teachers.

The curriculum I have chosen is in some ways more advanced than the public schools. Right now the public schools spend weeks studying for the kids to take ISTEP exams, which determines funding for the public schools. So a lot of the kid's time is spent studying to take this test.

Both kids are more than halfway through the grade levels math program and are on target for most everything else. They are little sponges and learn very quickly.

So far, we haven't run into too many subjects that are weak points for me. However, they have added some new acronyms that I was unfamiliar with. Luckily, one of the math programs I use presents the problem and excellent explanations of the terms and processes what is necessary to solve it. I am a bit amazed at how advanced these courses are and how they are dealing with stuff I know I didn't do until I was in junior high...like exponents, prime factorization, greatest common factor, least common multiple etc...

I think I will keep doing what I can for as long as I am able. then we'll see what comes next

Old October 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good for you. I see alot of home-schooled kids in my profession, and guess what. They're the ones going to Harvard. Their in-depth study is very rewarding and they are quite enthusiastic about their courses of study.
Good luck. It's not easy but can be such a great alternative. I understand about the public schools. There are some wonderful teachers but when your child is having a bad year, the whole family has a bad year.
Best wishes!
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default Whoo, Hoo, It's Friday

BW, all I can say is that your kids are super lucky to have a mother like you!

Judy
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Default Friday

Good afternoon everyone .I hope you all are having a nice day ,Looking forward to hearing good Fran news .

My BDW and I ventured into NYC today .It was sunny and in the mid 70's