Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Summer Caribbean Cruises - Arthur Frommer

Arthur Frommer: Cruise lines sail away from the Caribbean - thestar.com

In this article Arthur Frommer says....

It’s the biggest recent development in cruising. In the spring and summer of 2011, four major cruise lines—Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity and Holland America—won’t be sailing from ports in Florida to and through the Caribbean. All the cruises of those lines that were once operated from Florida to that tropical sea will have been shifted to European waters and other oceans of the world.

That's not quite the way I see it, Arthur. But you are right that the shift AWAY from the Caribbean by these lines is unusual.

But I disagree with your reasoning, there are still plenty of ships going there from Carnival and RCL, and Falmouth hasn't even opened yet.

But I think the reason is the weakness of the American dollar - not that people are "bored with fake ports in the Caribbean."

NCL: Norwegian Sun just repositoned to Port Canaveral for all of 2011 and Norwegian Spirit is sailing out of New Orleans (you are correct that it is not Florida, but...) throughout the summer of 2011.

Celebrity: Constellation, Eclipse, Summit and Century are all doing Caribbean cruises in Spring 2011 although they are leaving for summer.

Princess has Caribbean Princess all through the summer of 2011 (but sailing out of NYC):
Princess Cruises : Search Results

Celebrity
Itinerary Search Results
- does appear to be leaving in April.

Holland America is also staying until April - although he is correct that the ships are leaving for the summer:

Cruises to Alaska, Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico and the world on Holland America, one of the best cruise lines=
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Arthur Frommer: Cruise lines sail away from the Caribbean - thestar.com

In this article Arthur Frommer says....

It’s the biggest recent development in cruising. In the spring and summer of 2011, four major cruise lines—Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity and Holland America—won’t be sailing from ports in Florida to and through the Caribbean. All the cruises of those lines that were once operated from Florida to that tropical sea will have been shifted to European waters and other oceans of the world.

That's not quite the way I see it, Arthur. But you are right that the shift AWAY from the Caribbean by these lines is unusual.

But I disagree with your reasoning, there are still plenty of ships going there from Carnival and RCL, and Falmouth hasn't even opened yet.

But I think the reason is the weakness of the American dollar - not that people are "bored with fake ports in the Caribbean."

NCL: Norwegian Sun just repositoned to Port Canaveral for all of 2011 and Norwegian Spirit is sailing out of New Orleans (you are correct that it is not Florida, but...) throughout the summer of 2011.

Celebrity: Constellation, Eclipse, Summit and Century are all doing Caribbean cruises in Spring 2011 although they are leaving for summer.

Princess has Caribbean Princess all through the summer of 2011 (but sailing out of NYC):
Princess Cruises : Search Results

Celebrity
Itinerary Search Results
- does appear to be leaving in April.

Holland America is also staying until April - although he is correct that the ships are leaving for the summer:

Cruises to Alaska, Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico and the world on Holland America, one of the best cruise lines=
Has he "flipped"? You mean because his opinion differs from yours?
I personally pick cruises largely with an eye to ports. I am one of those that are tired of Caribbean ports and therefore choose other destinations. I agree with Frommer that the ports typically visited on a Caribbean cruise are overly generic and commercialized. And I don't like going to a beach crowded with other cruise ship passengers.
So I find that his reasoning is in sync with my cruise choices.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have never considered the Caribbean one if my favorite places to cruise either - so his "opinion" does not vary from mine at all.

Where I disagree with him is factually. How can people be tired of Falmouth when no cruise ship has even stopped there yet? I disagree the reason has to do with boredom with the Caribbean - Celebrity has dozens of Caribbean cruises scheduled up through April 2011.

The MAIN reason why these cruise lines are going to Europe is the weakness of the US dollar due to the longest U.S. recession on record since the great depression. The exception is the domestic family cruise market which takes precedence in summer and is largely focused on the Caribbean rather than Europe, on family-focused lines like Carnival and Royal Caribbean.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

The first reason he lists is "For one thing, the cruise lines are apparently relying more on Asian and European passengers for their ships (and on a declining percentage of Americans), which means that the Caribbean is less of a natural destination for these new nationalities."
He doesn't say why there are fewer Americans on their ships - for all we know he agrees with your hypothesis. It sounds like you are both more or less in agreement.
As for the Falmouth comment, it seems strange to throw out his entire argument for that one error.
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

All it takes is one major error like that to make a reader understand what he's is trying to say, at least to me...Just makes you think twice about the article as a whole. I can totally see what Paul is questioning about it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm not throwing Arthur out. I like Arthur

I guess it's possible I over-reacted.

We all know he is such a "cruise 1.0" kind of person, and we are living in the age of "cruise 2.0"
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually there is, what I would consider, a rather major reason that Mr. Frommer doesn't mention, and that is Hurricane Season.

Families who want to cruise are sort of forced to cruise in the summer months, but many many experienced cruisers avoid summer in the Caribbean specifically because of Hurricane Season.

Taking Hurricane Season into account, the cruise lines often have to lower the pricing on summer cruises to fill ships. Then there are the costs involved, including dealing with passenger's unhappiness or lack of understanding, of the resulting itinerary changes because of hurricanes and tropical storms.

So, my guess would be the combination of the trembling economy, the hurricane season factor, and the rising interest in cruising in Europe and other locales are of much more significant reasons to not have ships in the Caribbean, than just the US passengers loss of interest in the Caribbean.

When they quit placing ships in the Caribbean in the winter months, then I'd believe that premise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Admiral

When Cuba opens up to American cruisers, there will be more demand for Caribbean sailings.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Admiral

That will not happen for awhile because of people like Joanne Chesimard living there in exile