Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Default Walking 6-9 Miles A Week ! (I Forgot)

an article on the online edition of USA Today indicated people who walk 6-9 miles a week have a greater chance of less memory loss as we get older and keeps the brain from shrinking as quickly...this is good news for me since I walk 4.5 miles a day..However, I can't remember why I do it

I'll be on the Carnival Liberty next week on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise and I look forward to doing my early morning walk because a) there are always many more women then men that do the walking track b) my chances of walking with one of the famous jazz musicians increase c) i can eat more desserts that night d) plus there is nothing like watching the sunrise at sea with the wind to one's back surround by the silence of the and beauty of the water..at home on my daily walk, i listen to my mp3 player which has all of the latest music of the jazz folks that will be on the cruise, now i get to hear the music live

my question is how many of my fellow CM walk (or run) on a regular basis and do you think it helps your memory stay sharp
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Good for you Venice, you should be proud of of your healthy habit!
Sadly, I must admit that the ONLY walking I do is once every cruise on the Walk for the Cure to raise money for breast cancer research.
Yes, it's a great cause, and yes, I always have fun doing it, but I never manage to keep up the great exercise once I get home....

donna
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Admiral

I too am proud of you Venice. Now as to the answer to your question,,,,ahhh,,,,what was the question again???

"SKY"
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Prior to my back surgery I would walk anywhere from 4 to 10 miles a day .I would do destination walking ,example from Brooklyn to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge .Post surgery the most I have done is 4 miles once .I am averaging 2 .I have had one personal trainer session thus far.My goal when completing this phase of therapy will be to work a minimum of 5 miles per day .Like Venice I too look forward to walking on the ship on my cruise .
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Default Walking

We walk for about an hour almost every morning, we live near a golf course & do about ''9 holes'' with the dogs, avoiding golfers of course, when I say every morning my wife does it but I do about 4 out of the 6 she does. We also use a gym, but to be honest like most, we just can't be bothered & are going to cancel. Waste of 75 a month.
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Admiral

There is a golf course in this area ,I never thought of doing that
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
There is a golf course in this area ,I never thought of doing that
Well.... it used to be a farm & we knew the farmer, when he sold the farm he told them we always walked over the land so they allow us to carry on....now the trouble is other people see us & use the course, they don't respect the area as we do, picking up '''doggie-do's'' keeping out of the golfers way & not doing the wall of death round the bunkers.
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have no clue as to the walking I do daily just at work help from memory loss or not. I bet I put a few miles on each day, on my feet for 8 hours every day...I would love to see how many miles it actually is, bet its at least 2-3?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Donna..treat yourself to a good pedometer, that way you can chart how many steps you take per day and convert it into miles and calories loss..a good starting target is 10,000 steps per day..you would be surprise..I have my mp3 loaded so the time goes very quickly and it helps burn calories, the faster the music, the faster I walk (Motown Music is great for walking)
Henry..when you are on the Zuiderdam you can walk in the hydrotherapy pool everyday in addition to the walking track..the more you walk the more your back will feel better.."PM" me you mailing address and I will send you the program my physical therapist had me do on the Zuiderdam following my operation
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Donna..treat yourself to a good pedometer, that way you can chart how many steps you take per day and convert it into miles and calories loss..a good starting target is 10,000 steps per day..you would be surprise..I have my mp3 loaded so the time goes very quickly and it helps burn calories, the faster the music, the faster I walk (Motown Music is great for walking)
Henry..when you are on the Zuiderdam you can walk in the hydrotherapy pool everyday in addition to the walking track..the more you walk the more your back will feel better.."PM" me you mailing address and I will send you the program my physical therapist had me do on the Zuiderdam following my operation
I will "PM" you shortly
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I walk 3 miles each evening when I get home from work. I started doing this for about 15 minutes a day and eventually worked my way up to the 3 miles I walk now. I started because I was diagnosed with diabetes and quickly came to realize it was helping my mental health as well. I was very interested in this study as my dad had Alzheimers and I can't help but wonder if this is genetic. (His sister also had it)
Angela Z.