Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Default Aging Parents

After a long exhausting weekend spent at our close family friends funeral services I’ve come to realize that my mom is getting old. I know with each passing year we all are aging but I have always seen my mom as just mom. An energetic women strong and fit, still ridding her horse in her early 70’s. During this weekend she seemed tired and unhappy. I pointed it out to her that she seemed miserable and she replied "I’m not 40 anymore and I get tired more easily". After thinking about it, it hit me; she’s not that young woman from ten years ago.
Her children all five of us have always been respectful to her but I know in the past few years we have been less patient with her when she repeats herself of is too forgetful. She’s still in very good health and takes no medication for anything but has just slowed down. I’m thankful my eyes are now wide open and seeing each day with her is a great gift. I will from now on be more patient and understanding with her.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Admiral

My MIL is nearly 100 years old and in better health than her SIL and her children .She's outived two spouses .Perhaps it is because she never smoke ,drank ,drove or traveled anywhere but NY .
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Admiral

From my experience as an ''orphan'' now ask questions because it's soon too late.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Admiral

johnthedog, you hit the nail on the head!
Someone at my mother's funeral 5 years ago pointed out to my sister and I that we were orphans now. Boy, that really hit home, and so did realizing, after the passing of our parents and all aunts and uncles, that now WE are the older generation!
None of us are getting any younger, are we?

donna
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
johnthedog, you hit the nail on the head!
Someone at my mother's funeral 5 years ago pointed out to my sister and I that we were orphans now. Boy, that really hit home, and so did realizing, after the passing of our parents and all aunts and uncles, that now WE are the older generation!
None of us are getting any younger, are we?

donna
Oh my gosh! I thought my brother and I were the only ones who'd had the orphan thought!
And yes, I agree, ask questions now! There's probably a ton of cool stories that are yours for the asking.
Angela Z.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Wow this post sure hits ya where it hurts,,,never thought of myself as an orphan,,,but guess I am one. Geezzzz

Not to mention I'm the old generation now,,,wow does that suck !!! Where does the time go???

Wow what would I give for a chance to spend time or talk with my parents,,,so those of U that still have them,,,take care of them everyday,,,I'm just saying,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Z. View Post
Oh my gosh! I thought my brother and I were the only ones who'd had the orphan thought!
And yes, I agree, ask questions now! There's probably a ton of cool stories that are yours for the asking.
Angela Z.

You are certainly not the only one. When my mom passed away 3 years ago it hit me like a hammer that my brother and I are the only ones left and the oldest generation.

Here at home with friends and co-workers who still have their parents and impatient with them, I tell them how lucky they are to still have them, no matter what age they are. Ask them to tell stories from their youth, ask all the questions while you still can. Love and hug them while you still can, cause you gonna miss that forever when they crossed over.

I wish I had more time with both mom and dad ......

Read and post cruise reviews

Old October 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
From my experience as an ''orphan'' now ask questions because it's soon too late.
I find myself wishing more and more that I'd asked my dad about his Navy days, where he went and what he did.

Old October 27th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I so agree with you. Myparents came from Britain and never really talked about their pasts. I am so sorry now that I didn"t talk more to them about it and ask questions of them. Both have passed now, all the uncles and aunts are gone and I have so many moments of wondering about thosse days long ago.
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Admiral

I guess I'm lucky when it comes to knowing so very much of our famlies past. I want to focus on each day and taking the time out to ask about her day. Love my mommy!!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 28th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

As a nurse who works in Long Term Care, and as a family member who lost her Mom 14 yeas ago........relish and take to heart the times you can spend with your elderly parent(s). The time will come to an end sooner than you realize. I am so lucky to have my Dad still in my life, but I know those days are numbered. I will miss him more than anything in my life once he is gone since I was the "Daddy's girl" in the family and I am the one who stayed here after Mom left us. It is not a unhealthy relationship......it is that of two adults sharing a house and splitting the bills and having our independent lives that works. I think it works because Dad keeps telling me to live my life now.....don't wait til it's too late!
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My beloved Mother left this world in 1997 after a long battle with colon cancer. After the service my sister and I talked about us being "orphans" I remember thinking I need to stay closer to those that are left in my family. I moved to Florida to be near my sister back in 2007. I had a few cousins left in NH but my sister was in Florida and I wanted to be close to her. We made plans several times to meet and spend time together but they never happened for one reason or another. Finally she was leaving to go to NH for the summer in 2009.We met and spent about 2 hours together. That was the last time I ever saw her. She left us in January 2010. I think about that day a lot. Too late now to wish that I had insisted that we spend more time together. I am all that is left of my immediate family and I am the oldest, somehow that seems out of order to me. Recently it has been important for me to visit with family. My fathers only living brother is about 2 hours from where I live. I go there to visit when I can. Family is important.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain