Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival Liberty Capital Jazz Cruise Review

just back late last night from my 7 Days/Nights of great Smooth Jazz and Cool Soul and for the first time in my 34 cruises I came home exhausted...the cruise lived up to it's "hype'..this was the first year that Capital Jazz worked with Carnival and I think it will be a great marriage..for those not familiar with a full charter smooth jazz cruise concept, the boat is taken over by 3200 smooth jazz and soul music fans and there was great music 24/7...Carnival Liberty staff was great..food was great (loved the mongolian bbq, fish and chips and my favorite was at breakfast with the home fry potatoes with peppers and onions)..had an interior cabin 7209 which was perfect for our needs..this was my cabinmate's first cruise and she had a ball..stops in San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk (which we had a great beach day)..already put my deposit down for next year's Smooth Jazz cruise on the Carnival Valor..there were over 30 Jazz musicians and singers on our cruise so I was in paradise..there were no formal nights but we had 70's night, Caribbean night, favorite football jersey night and black/white night..there was a great deal of cruise ship envy in St Thomas (8 ships were in port including the Oasis of the Seas), from other ship's cruisers when they saw our Capital Jazz teeshirts that had the names of all the artist on the back..
I strongly encourage my fellow cruisemates to seek out a cruise sailing that reflects your passion and go for it..when you have 3200 cruisemates of like passion it brings cruising to a whole new level of enjoyment..if you are thinking of cruising the Carnival Liberty , I highly recommend her..she is a beautiful ship with an outstanding staff..be glad to answer any questions
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Sounds GREAT Venice. Obviously, a wonderful time was had by everyone aboard, and obviously, you felt you got your moneys worth or you wouldn't have booked again for next year. I'm anxious to hear more about it, and want to hear about your favorite artist aboard, and your favorite thing that happened! Well, at least your favorite thing that happened that you care to tell us about!

Ken
"SKY"
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:26 PM
Admiral

my favorite artists were Phil Perry ( a great singer of the classic songs and a great whistler) and Take 6 a gospel acappella group and Brian Culbertson (keyboard) and the legendary George Duke (who played with Miles Davis and the King of Funk in the 1970's)..everyday they would have Q&A sessions with the artists and I was able to ask several questions plus I attend a base guitar boot camp with Gerald Veasley (he played with among others Grover Washington Jr.) so I'm ready for the CruiseMate allstar jam session on the next CM group cruise playing base with Sky on Tuba..they also had a special performance of the Gospel According to Jazz Part 3, so we 1500 guest had "church" on Monday afternoon

everyday in the atrium would feature up and coming artists and then at midnight after the 2 main concerts there was an allstar jam session where artist that would not ordinarily perform together would get on stage and play

the most wierd thing to happen was on opening night Walter Beasley (a sax player heir to Grover Washington jr) bass player was electrocuted on the very first song and had to be hospitalized when we made it into our first port

I was blessed to have breakfast with Phil Perry and Jeff Lorber (keyboard player) and rode in the elevator with Layla Hathaway and was able to share with her how much I admire her singing and that I had the honor of attending a concert of her Dad, Donny Hathaway

the women outnumber the men 3 to 1 so needless to say I made lunch everyday on the lido deck near the pool:eek:
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Welcome back Venice
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Venice, I am not a Jazz fan, nor do I recognize any of the artists you mentioned, but I can tell by your enthusiasm how much you enjoyed your cruise! It must be wonderful sharing a cruise that customs fits your passion in music. Maybe I should consider doing an "Oldies" or a "Do Wop" cruise at some point, I think I would enjoy that.

donna
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Donna there is a full charter Malt Shop Memories Cruise on the Carnival Inspiration 10.27 thru 10.31..features the Beach Boys, Chubby Checker, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Jay Black (of Jay and the Americans), shirley Reeves (The Shirlelles), Lou Christie, The Del Rays

I would go but it overlaps with the 2011 Capital Jazz SuperCruise 5 on the Carnival Valor
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Venice, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the cruise on Liberty. I just sailed on her in September and wore myself out having a great time. Liberty is one of my favorite ships.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
Admiral

WOW, sounds GREAT Venice. Well, grab that bass and I'll get the tuba, and we can knock 'em out of the park. If you like, I can give you a few pointers. as I played upright bass, as well as electric bass guitar for many many years as well.
That Doo-Wop/ Oldies full charter cruise sounds like a lot of fun as well......Let's all book that one and "sing along with the oldies!" I personally, LOVE the "candy store corner" music!

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Venice,

Jeff Lorber is from Portland! I'm glad you had the chance to meet him. I have a few of his CD's and really enjoy them.