Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default We are in Costa Maya

Hi Kids..
Our first port has arrived,and we are anxious to see this port for the first time.

Our embarkation on Sunday went smoothly,and were some of the first on board, enjoying lunch in cafe...The food selection here has been wonderful, with many tasty offerings, set up near the pool, as well as an inner courtyard.

Our cabin ended up being a handicapped aft, with a view of where we have just been.. This cabin is spacious,and well appointed for special needs.

We had our cocktail party yesterday afternoon,in Maltings Bar, a trendy area, done in coral and black. Our open bar served up plenty of yummy drinks,and Chef Matt Sigel, had created a signature drink for us,!

Meeting up,and chit chatting with our new Cruisemate pals was fun! We then mosied on down to Taste Restaurant, one of the traditional dining venues,and spent a couple of hrs chatting and dining. There were some issues with the entrees, with some commenting, it may be in the pay venues, where you fare better. I chose a veggie lasagne, that was light, and delish

People had some great creative costumes,ans the place was hopping. Surprisingly there are LOTS of kids, this cruise.Seeing them in costumes, was adorable..

We just got the internet yesterday...with Mike's help, I will post some pictures soon.....Ok Costa Maya, here I come!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Hey Trip nice hearing from you. Happy to hear your have a great time and look foward to some pictures. Have fun in Costa Maya!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Trip,
Hope you enjoy Costa Mesa, will be interesting to hear your take on this port. How about the weather, any problems??

Please do upload some pics and continue to enjoy your week in the sun...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Admiral

I wonder how Chac Chi is getting along. This resort is just to the right of the port's Tourist area and separated by a wall the people who own the cruise terminal built to make it difficult for the cruise passenger to patronize them. It was nearly destroyed in the hurricane a few years back, but I heard they rebuilt. Hope they are doing OK

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Hi Trip, great to hear from you! Never been to Costa Maya myself, can't wait to see some pictures!
Happy Cruising!

donna
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM
First Mate

Maybe Trip will have a different take on Costa Maya, but we were there on Solstice just last week, and quite frankly, it leaves something to be desired.

Let me say that we did not take any of the tours, and should we happen to be there again, will do so. We got off the ship, walked part way to the shopping area near the pier, and took the tram that runs from the "T" square ( there are 2 piers at right angles to each other) the rest of the way.

Shopping is somewhat sparse, with the usual Diamonds International (my sense is that when tourists land on the moon, there will be a DI there), plus a few other shops. There is a swimming pool surrounded by sand and beach longers in the center of the shopping area. This is free I am told.

The buildings themselves are sort of pretty in that they are brightly painted (blue, red, etc.).

Beeenie mentioned a resort to the right of the shopping area that she thought might have been repaired. We saw no such resort, although there were some devastated structures immediately to the right of the shopping area, adjacent what was left of a beach.

From the height of the pool deck, looking across the immediate landscape, there was a band of dead trees for about 1/2 mile inland. There looked to be a small town maybe 3 or 4 miles south of the pier, and it looked like there was a beach there as well.

Bottom line to us is that this is not a real nice port at all. A shame really, because the piers for ships are quite large and well constructed. Perhaps over time it will evolve, but now it is really nothing.

As I said, next time our travels carry us there, we will opt for the trip to the Mayan ruins.

Read and post cruise reviews

Last edited by Sid1962; November 1st, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Sid you are correct about the resort it has not be repaired.

This is one stop that we just stay on the ship. We did go down to the town one time and it was not much more than 2 roads and the beach to us was a joke.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Captain

Trip hope you enjoy Costa Maya. That was one of our favorite ports, but we have not had opportunity to visit since 2006. We were scheduled Halloween 2007 but Hurricane Dean closed it down. We always enjoyed going out o Mahahaul (sp) a little fishing village with a great beach.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Looking forward to seeing your pictures ,Trip .
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Posts of Call are like food in a way--everyone likes different things. If you're looking for another St. Thomas, forget it. If you like to see something of the real Mexican countryside, get out and about on a tour. There's several that will take you to Mayan ruins on nice, paved roads, etc. There's a small village down the coast about 2 miles or so called Mahajual. Buy a ticket for a bus behind the shopping area or take a cab. Plenty of cabs to bring you back to the main shopping area when you're ready. The port of Costa Maya and Mahajual were absolutely devastated by the hurricane 3 years or so ago.
I'd been there a coupe times before the hurricane and Mahajual was just a small little beach side place, dirt roads, nice beach, small shops , a few bars and a nice place to rest and relax for a few hours, get a cheap massage, some good drinks, etc. Back at the main port there was some nice shops, a good sized pool in the middle of the shopping complex, a ampi-theater type show place where they held two free shows daily highlighting the dances and culture from different parts of Mexico. This was all before the hurricane took dead aim on the place and blew almost everything, including the piers, basically off the earth.
I've been back a couple of times since the hurricane and it is being rebuilt.
Mahajual is not the same and will never will be, as is Costa Maya. At Mahajual now there are more buildings, the dirt road is gone, replaced by a winding path of pavers, sand, trees, etc. that had to be trucked in so the old village is no more. Re / the port shopping complex itself, there's plenty of shopping, a couple restaurants, seems to be enough bars to get everyone drunk that wants to get drunk but again, it too is changed forever.
The signs of the hurricane are everywhere--someone mentioned dead shrubs, etc. What used to be green jungle and trees are now blown down dead trees and brush.
Personally, I think Costa Maya is a great place to stop if one takes the time to get outside the cocoon and go out and about and see something. I admire the people there who lost everything they had and have built back as much as they have so far.
No, It's not St. Thomas, St.Martin nor Cozumel. But it's a spot on the main land of Mexico that's well worth visiting if one is willing to look beyond the natural disaster that these people incurred through no fault of their own,have fought back from nothing to rebuild a bigger and better pier, rebuilt a complete Village and shopping complex in about 3 years.
I tip my hat to these people for doing what they've done considering they had to start from less than scratch.
Give it a shot--you may like it.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Ron, you expressed my sentiments, exactly! I always enjoyed my time in Costa Maya, but haven't been back since the hurricane. We were in Cozumel 7-8 months after Hurricane Wilma (I think) parked herself over the island, for 48 hours! The hurricanes have a way of making everything look like a war zone, but the vegetation will return, as will the jungle surrounding Costa Maya. That was part of the charm of the area.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Admiral

I have never been to Mexico or Fla