CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   New Orleans and Mardi Gras question? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/378348-new-orleans-mardi-gras-question.html)

katlady November 27th, 2010 03:03 PM

New Orleans and Mardi Gras question?

I'm putting together my cruise spreadsheet and want to include a cruise out of New Orleans. Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) in 2012 is on February 21. There are two cruises around this time. February 18 and February 25 which one would be better to see the parades and enjoy Mardi Gras celebration? Do you suggest any parades or events that should not be missed? I'm thinking the Feb 18 cruise might be better because after Feb 21st lent begins and there won't be any more celebrations. But I don't know if the 18th is to early to catch anything. So I'm confused.:?::confused: Thanks for your help.

Phil&Liz November 27th, 2010 07:23 PM

Either sailing will have you there for the fun. Its more what you want to catch. Check the schedule. The "big" parades like Bacchus are the best. Zulu is a good one to catch as well.

Many parade routes are along St Charles.

Planning should be getting lodging on or near the routes so as to make the walking distance shorter. Some roads are blocked during the season so renting a car there isn't what I would recommend. They have bleachers set up that you buy tickets for. See if your hotel offers them.

If you are really into MG you can try to get a place in the Quarter but that is tough to do. Watch out for them alien drinks! A place called the Cats Meow was where we had our balcony party. Tickets are available to the public for about $125. We thought it was well worth it.

We had the honor and pleasure of attending the Krewe of Bacchus Ball Rendezvous last year and man what a blast that was!!! Drew Breese was the man of the night. He rolled into the convention center and the place went completely bonkers!!!

You must try to get to Mothers for breakfast and lunch. Cafe du Mond is for the tourists mostly so look for Morning Call. I ate once at K Pauls and it was good.

venice November 27th, 2010 11:49 PM

there are 21 days/nights of parades leading up to Mardi Gras Day (Fat Tuesday) with most of the major parades the weekend before which include many Mardi Gras Balls..and Lundi Gras which is the Monday before Fat Tuesday..hotel space is at a premium (and $$$$) the closer to Mardi Gras day plus airfares are at the highest...your 2.18 cruise would put you in town for a Friday night celebration parade activities including the Zulu Ball..unless you are going to spend a week before in town, the 2.25 cruise would preclude you from any Mardi Gras activities

most locals actually get out of town for Mardi Gras week (myself included) and rent out our homes..lots of Mardi Gras theme activities on the cruise ships for that week I would suspect

lots of parties and folks acting crazy..however, if you have never seen a Mardi Gras parade at night you are indeed missing a treat..if you are serious about coming please let me know so I can explain the secret of how to get bigger beads to your husband :rofl:

MercedMike November 28th, 2010 03:21 PM

Mardi Gras cruise

Some years ago, instead of taking a cruise OUT of N'Orleans around Mardi Gras (which a lot of the locals do to get away!) we took a cruise from Galveston TO N'Orleans for Mardi Gras. Our ship actually arrived the day before and overnighted, so the ship was our hotel and we could experience all the Mardi Gras activities without worrying about an expensive room! Maybe somebody is doing that this year? Have your Travel Agent check it out.

Check out our trip report and pictures at
Mardi Gras Trip Report and Pictures

Snoozeman November 28th, 2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz (Post 1330972)
You must try to get to Mothers for breakfast and lunch.

You can't beat Mothers.:cool:

venice November 28th, 2010 03:51 PM

great suggestion about taking a cruise to New Orleans during Mardi Gras (is the stop on a Friday,Saturday or Sunday):D

katlady November 29th, 2010 10:08 PM

Great tips thanks for the help. It's between New Orleans on Voyager of the Seas or Port Canaveral on Freedom of the Seas. I would enjoy both cruises.:D