Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Default Baggage question

Does anyone check in baggage on line and if so how does that work when you arrive at the airport ?
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Does anyone check in baggage on line and if so how does that work when you arrive at the airport ?
When you check in online you specify how many bags you have and pay for them.
At the airport you go to the ticket check in and they tag your bags and then you don't see them until you arrive at your final destination.

If you have to go thru customs in an airport mid trip then you carry them thru customs and then give them back to the baggage handlers.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Admiral

if you are going out of FLL, when you arrive in FLL check in the baggage claim area for a HAL rep..HAL has a service on your return that you can check your bag pier side and you pick it up at your home airport..it works very well and worth the price

if you are going out of another city, check with HAL directly
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Admiral

When we did it with BA all it meant was a bigger queue for security, so big we nearly missed the flight!!
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Henry,

Actually on my flights to and from Orlando (my first flights in almost two decades), I didn't find that much problem with security at all and I have to be hand frisked because of my ICD.

When I checked in with the airline at the counter I turned my bag over to them (just as explained by Doopydozer). I then proceeded to security, opened my carry-on and removed my laptop and E-reader and emptied all of my pockets and removed my belt and shoes. Following the frisk (they do an excellent job by the way and I know because I used to teach that), I put my belt and shoes back on, packed up my gear into the carryon, put everything in my pockets and was on my way.

Both in Knoxville and Orlando the TSA staff were very friendly, extremely professional, etc. I had read about so many complaints, etc., that I thought it would be a nightmare. Turned out it couldn't have been simpler and if someone felt it too invasive and personal, then they'd best never go to a doctor or emergency room. Of course if you've ever gone through a Stop-Halt-Frisk procedure, it'll be old hat :-)

I did, however have the assistance of my niece when I was packing (she and her husband travel all over the world so much that they now have that special "Trusted Traveler" card which means they don't have to go through every nickel and dime thing every time they re-enter the country). She did tell me, however, what to pack where. For instance, all medications in their original prescription containers (I had my seventeen bottles in a large plastic bag -- if I'd have been returning from Columbia I'd still be there being searched !) must be in your checked lugggage. Also it's a nice gesture (since even your luggage is often hand searched) to put dirty socks and underwear in a plastic bag that is marked as such. Remember the 3 oz liquid rule and put those bottles in another separate plastic bag in your luggage in case they may leak.

As for your carry-on, they may ask you to turn on your lap-top, I-pod, E-reader, etc. so it might be nice in order not to hold up the line that if you are taking electronics like an e-reader or laptop/notebook to put them in sleep mode before leaving for the airport as this way they'll turn right on and you won't have to wait for them to boot up. In my case, they didn't even have me turn mine on. Of course my shield and the jacket that I wore might have had some positive influence ;-)

Have a grand cruise, Henry and please write a review upon your return!

Todd
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I find it so much easier to do it all at home...the long lines at the airport, can be a killer....don't forget to print your boarding pass too..

On your last full day onboard, print it out as well...bon voyage !!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Henry,

Actually on my flights to and from Orlando (my first flights in almost two decades), I didn't find that much problem with security at all and I have to be hand frisked because of my ICD.

When I checked in with the airline at the counter I turned my bag over to them (just as explained by Doopydozer). I then proceeded to security, opened my carry-on and removed my laptop and E-reader and emptied all of my pockets and removed my belt and shoes. Following the frisk (they do an excellent job by the way and I know because I used to teach that), I put my belt and shoes back on, packed up my gear into the carryon, put everything in my pockets and was on my way.

Both in Knoxville and Orlando the TSA staff were very friendly, extremely professional, etc. I had read about so many complaints, etc., that I thought it would be a nightmare. Turned out it couldn't have been simpler and if someone felt it too invasive and personal, then they'd best never go to a doctor or emergency room. Of course if you've ever gone through a Stop-Halt-Frisk procedure, it'll be old hat :-)

I did, however have the assistance of my niece when I was packing (she and her husband travel all over the world so much that they now have that special "Trusted Traveler" card which means they don't have to go through every nickel and dime thing every time they re-enter the country). She did tell me, however, what to pack where. For instance, all medications in their original prescription containers (I had my seventeen bottles in a large plastic bag -- if I'd have been returning from Columbia I'd still be there being searched !) must be in your checked lugggage. Also it's a nice gesture (since even your luggage is often hand searched) to put dirty socks and underwear in a plastic bag that is marked as such. Remember the 3 oz liquid rule and put those bottles in another separate plastic bag in your luggage in case they may leak.

As for your carry-on, they may ask you to turn on your lap-top, I-pod, E-reader, etc. so it might be nice in order not to hold up the line that if you are taking electronics like an e-reader or laptop/notebook to put them in sleep mode before leaving for the airport as this way they'll turn right on and you won't have to wait for them to boot up. In my case, they didn't even have me turn mine on. Of course my shield and the jacket that I wore might have had some positive influence ;-)

Have a grand cruise, Henry and please write a review upon your return!

Todd
Prescription drugs in checked baggage? Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Todd,

I'm glad to hear you had an uneventful flight home. I've had to go through security four times since the "enhanced" security was implemented. My experience has been the same as yours. I do know that many people bring on the "problems" themselves.

I do disagree with you about one thing. I would never advise anyone to put their prescription medications in their checked luggage. If your luggage is lost or improperly routed you will be without critical medication and that is not a good thing. I have traveled a lot in the last ten years and have never had an issue with my "bulk" of medication, including injectable. Even it did cause a slow down or "questioning" I would never risk losing the medication.

You take care of yourself.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Whoops! I correct myself! The drugs were also in the carry on! Sorry for the goof.

TDH
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks Todd and Trip